Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x08 "Made To Suffer" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Dang, it's getting all racial up in this piece.
    Yeah, it seems to me that people suggesting TWD writers are racist are actually the real racists. If someone dies I see it as a character's death.....apparently these people see it as a black guy's death. Who's really working on the racist mentality, here?
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Dec-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: .

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah, it seems to me that people suggesting TWD writers are racist are actually the real racists. If someone dies I see it as a character's death.....apparently these people see it as a black guy's death. Who's really working on the racist mentality, here?
    This.^

Racism doesn't only mean you hate people of other races. It's also a mindset where everything breaks down into terms of race, even when it doesn't. I'm sure the writers are made up of other races beside white. They're just not thinking in terms of race.
    It's annoying also when the cast of a show or movie is made up of all different races, just for the sake of racial diversity. Makes it seem like a commercial for Kmart or the Gap.
    I think that the reason for the replacements of the black actors is to keep everyone on their toes. The writers know that all the comic fans are waiting for Tyreese. So they're keeping people guessing.
    It's not a racially motivated thing.
    Last edited by babomb; 06-Dec-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: .

England
    I agree with Bassman and Babomb.
    If you need to distinguish between people by the colour of their skin you need to ask yourself why.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Its just the way TV works.

A blond female character leaves, another blonde female joins the cast. A brunette female leaves, another brunette joins the cast. A complicated man with a troubled past leaves the show, another complicated man with a troubled past replaces him.

Its how all TV shows work. They develop a formula that works for their particular show, and they DO NOT break it.

Thats why TV characters never change tooo much. Sure, they go through their trials and minor character development, but never enough to take them out of the "brand" the audience has gotten used too.

United States
    So, wait. If they get rid of Daryl, they're going to find another sleeveless redneck to immediately jump into his spot?
    Or if Carol bites it, we're getting another dykish looking, grey haired cougar type?

Just kidding. It's all good.
    Just don't ever get rid of the zombies.
    That's my fave part of the show...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicycho View Post
    Its just the way TV works.

A blond female character leaves, another blonde female joins the cast. A brunette female leaves, another brunette joins the cast. A complicated man with a troubled past leaves the show, another complicated man with a troubled past replaces him.

Its how all TV shows work. They develop a formula that works for their particular show, and they DO NOT break it.

Thats why TV characters never change tooo much. Sure, they go through their trials and minor character development, but never enough to take them out of the "brand" the audience has gotten used too.
    Sorry, didn't notice a katana wielding, de-jawed zombies on chains, black female die in Season 2 to allow Michonne in?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    Why expendable? Rick, Carl, Daryl and Hershel have all been shot and survived just fine. He was expendable because his replacement had arrived. He got redshirted as soon as another black guy showed up.
    Expendable because he was the least developed character out of them all, he'd only just been introduced, and as a non-comic character, he didn't have a load of potential plotlines laid out before him.

With T-Dog I think they genuinely forgot about him (or, rather, they just didn't have the screen time for him with everyone else to deal with at the time), but not out of intent or malicious purposes, and that's something they re-dressed in season three, it's just a shame he wasn't able to stick around, but we did feel his loss. His death wasn't just tossed in there either.

Tiny didn't last long (I kinda liked him), Andrew was an arsehole, but so was Tomas. I would have liked Oscar to stick around for longer, but I've mentioned before why it'd be a bit daft to have a massive gunfight and for none of Team Prison to bite the dust.

Now, as said elsewhere, Tyreese is who we've really been waiting for - so he's gonna stick around for a good long while, and hopefully his little sister Sasha will as well.

As for Rick - well he's the central character, the whole point in the comics is to follow one man over a long period of time and watch him change, likewise it's key to keep Carl around for the father/son dynamic, and to see how a child from the normal world re-develops under these circumstances. Daryl is a firm fan favourite and the show makers would be morons to kill him off - the fan backlash would be huge - plus, as I've said a few times in the past, if he does have to die at some point, it'd have to be far into the future and in such a manner that it was a truly fitting death. He also provides extremely valuable survival skills that benefit the entire group and allow them to keep living in this world.

Hershel, likewise, provides necessary skills - but if any other folk with medical training turn up, he'd better watch his back. However with his leg missing, his days are numbered in an on-the-road scenario. There's a scythe hanging over Hershel's head - it's not going to drop any time soon, but it's hanging there ... waiting.

Looking at the new arrivals, I can see Allen's son Ben being readily expendable.

I guess the problem with the replacement thing is that, while not intended to be that way, events have conspired to allow themselves to be read that way if people choose to do so.

Dale died and that saved Hershel's life, as it was initially going to be the other way around. There are plot concerns driving those, but you could just as easily read that as "two old white guys, one has to die" ... whereas it was more about dramatic concerns, and no doubt in DeMunn's situation, behind-the-scenes issues that unfortunately went awry.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Dec-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Ireland
    Ummm...that race angle is a bit weird.

In fact, I think the probucers have gone out of their way to introduce black characters, even when extra characters weren't needed. Black Girl #264 in season 1, T-Dawg ( ) etc. They weren't in the original source material and they were SOOO superfluous, that the writers didn't know what to do with them.

Also, people have been waiting for Michonne and Tyreese to show up and at some stage I reckon Morgan (and maybe his kid) will show up too.

I actually think there's more than enough racial diversity in the show?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Ummm...that race angle is a bit weird.

In fact, I think the probucers have gone out of their way to introduce black characters, even when extra characters weren't needed. Black Girl #264 in season 1, T-Dawg ( ) etc. They weren't in the original source material and they were SOOO superfluous, that the writers didn't know what to do with them.

Also, people have been waiting for Michonne and Tyreese to show up and at some stage I reckon Morgan (and maybe his kid) will show up too.

I actually think there's more than enough racial diversity in the show?
    Plus, it's also important to have enough character diversity.

If it was just a bunch of middle-aged middle class suburbanites, you'd be quite limited. Another great thing about The Walking Dead is that it brings together disparate types of people from disparate parts of pre-apocalypse society and both pits them against one another, and teams them up, and changes their characters over time.

England
    Whoa awesome episode and February seems a long way off all of a sudden! Good to see they've brought Tyreese into it, and the final scene with the governor & the Dixon brothers had me right on edge, I wonder if we'll lose one or the other, or both? Really enjoying season 3, and Glen Mazzara knows it
    182344_10152296612570551_1557781619_n.jpg

One thing that hasn't been explained though, why is the governor happy to be surrounded by survivors in Woodbury, but is hell bent on wiping out any other group that exists outside of it even if they're miles away and their chances of finding Woodbury are slim? Does he just feel his rule would be threatened by others or is there more to it? Or is he just a plain, simple, old fashioned bad guy with his henchmen as in the comics?
    I winced when that shard of glass got stuck in his eye, and when they showed the damage later

Oh and I don't know about y'all, but I've got a crush on Michonne (well, Danai who plays her), when she's not scowling she's rather fit

Scotland
    Ha! Daryl and Mur are finally reunited.

Fuck the blood thirsty crowd, nothing can kill the brothers.

*Realises this is TWD*

Awww FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

United States
    IronE Singleton stated that T-Dog was supposed to only last like 3 episodes and all of a sudden he was filming season 3 lol He seemed really grateful and is a very humble dude IRL.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Tricky - it'll be because The Governor wants to continue being the man in charge. To him it's his job to keep these people alive, and to keep his community strong. Anyone from the outside - a large group particularly - is considered a threat. He took out the military guys because they're a greater threat, so he used underhanded methods to achieve that, and then took their gear to strengthen his position. Likewise he just wants to keep Woodbury as a little enclave surrounded by nothing living.

We may have to wait until February, but that does mean we don't have to sit through those ruddy awful "Joop Homme Wild!" adverts eight times an episode ... "gooooooood ... baaaaaaaaad" ... how about "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck offfffffffffffffffffffffff"? I thought the those Joop ads during season two were annoying ("real men wear pink!" ), but these are even worse.

England
    Big fish. Little pond.
    Classic middle management by our buddy the Governor
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Merle could still be working for the Gov. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Ah crap you may be right. It's the perfect head fake by the writers. The viewers all know that Merle lied to gov about Michonne dying. So the viewers are expecting the gov to seek revenge on Merle. Public labeling as terrorists. Let them escape or leave as an act of mercy(politician side of gov winning hearts and minds). Infiltrate the prison and gather intel from Daryl. Can't wait till feb
    Hmmm... that would explain how the Governor knew their prisoner was Merle's brother. How else would he have known? Andrea seemed genuinely surprised, but Merle's reaction seemed a bit fake.