Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Room In Hell (Half-Life 2 mod standalone)

UK

No More Room In Hell (Half-Life 2 mod standalone)

Saw this a few years back then totally forgot all about it until I saw this. It's basically Left 4 Dead with shamblers, might be worth a look - it's free!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/19/th...-room-in-hell/

Administrator

England
    Released on Halloween - http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Wow, been waiting for years for proper zombie video games, & now there's an onslaught of them! Seeing the farmhouse we all know & love put a smile on my face. Can't beat it for the price. Shame it isn't out before Halloween, just so folks could get some plays in for the season.

Administrator

England
    And up to EIGHT player co-op!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Is this only co-op?

No single player for saddos like me?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Is this only co-op?

No single player for saddos like me?
    Y'know, I wondered the same thing, as I have NEVER played a MMO game, & REALLY am not interested to, BUT I happened to think, maybe one or more of us from on here could arrange games. Now THAT I would be down for. At least that way I'd be playing with people I kinda know, rather than random complete strangers.

*EDIT*

I was poking around in their forums & it is Solo-able. Someone was asking if in Survival mode the # of zombies scales to # of players, all the way down to 1, & if all maps were beatable Solo, & the answer was "yes" to both.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 20-Oct-2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: mur nfo

Ireland
    I've never played much online myself. 'Battlefield 1942', that was really it. It was alright for what it was, but you always got some ejit who ended up killing people on his own team for the "lulz"...

So, this is single player as well then. Good stuff.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Started to DL the last version of it available over the weekend, was it was going to take almost an hour, & said "screw it, I'll wait for the release". Plan on getting it tonight though.

Administrator

England
    From a quick trial I think some instruction is necessary. Not straight forward! I think I'll try to find some youtube walk thru's?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    From a quick trial I think some instruction is necessary. Not straight forward! I think I'll try to find some youtube walk thru's?
    I found the controls to be fairly easy once I futzed with it a bit. Messed with it for a couple hours & got all the basics down. Problem is, I don't feel like I can DO anything. Played the NOTLD farmhouse, have just enough time to run in, hammer a few boards up, grab a shotgun, kill maybe a zed or 2, then get swarmed & game over.

Maybe you need to play it a while to get good enough, but right now I'm not sure I want to continue...surviving for 5 min tops & getting killed over & over wasn't fun after the first few times...

The fact that no matter how many times I set up headphones in Audio & it kept right on playing through the speakers, so I had to crank it way down to keep from waking the whole house didn't improve my mood any either.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 01-Nov-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: mor

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I found the controls to be fairly easy once I futzed with it a bit. Messed with it for a couple hours & got all the basics down. Problem is, I don't feel like I can DO anything. Played the NOTLD farmhouse, have just enough time to run in, hammer a few boards up, grab a shotgun, kill maybe a zed or 2, then get swarmed & game over.

Maybe you need to play it a while to get good enough, but right now I'm not sure I want to continue...surviving for 5 min tops & getting killed over & over wasn't fun after the first few times...

The fact that no matter how many times I set up headphones in Audio & it kept right on playing through the speakers, so I had to crank it way down to keep from waking the whole house didn't improve my mood any either.
    Sounds like you were playing alone? Surely it's designed to be played as a group?
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Played the NOTLD farmhouse, have just enough time to run in, hammer a few boards up, grab a shotgun, kill maybe a zed or 2, then get swarmed & game over.
    Pretty much just like in the film then - Livin' the dream!

I've spent some time with it and it is quite a challenge on single player. I agree that it could do with explaining what on earth is happening, my first stint was a mixture of confusion, infection and death! I do like the farmhouse though - hope they add the mall at some point, that would be nice, considering the title!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sounds like you were playing alone? Surely it's designed to be played as a group?
    My understanding was it was supposed to scale based on the number of players? Either way, tinkered a tad more. Tried some different maps. Got a little better. Still hard as hell. Would definitely help having someone to watch your back, as while you're shooting zack on the the front porch, he's snuck in the back door & is biting your ass off.

Also, trying to reload a double barrel shotgun while a swarm is closing on you sucks.

United States
    Well, this game & thread inspired me to try both "The Dead Linger" & "Project Zomboid". Only had time for a peek at TDL, but it felt like NMRIH already: I was plunked down in a field, zombies closing in, started running, found some houses, tried to open a door, & promptly got surrounded & eaten.

PZ I got to play for an hour, so already a huge improvement! I lasted two days in game time.

First day I moved around my own house, explored, figured out eating, drinking, & sleeping.

Day 2 I went out exploring, ran into a horde, got pursued, looked for someplace to hide, hid in some woods, found a trailer park, climbed in a window, found some canned food to eat, killed a couple zombies (former occupants) with the kitchen knife I brought as a weapon & ran out of daylight & had to sleep.

Morning of day three woke up hungry, got a frying pan, turned on the stove, & was figuring out how to put a steak in it & cook it, clicked eat it by mistake, ate it raw, started getting sick, then zeds broke in the window & got me before I could get away.

All in all I enjoyed even that brief foray a lot. It was more immersive & like a sim than the FPS qualities of the other two games.