View Poll Results: Have you seen Deadscapes: Broken Road?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I have the VCD.

11 50.00%
  • Yes! I have the DVD.

7 31.82%
  • No, I haven't.

4 18.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got 'Broken Road'?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That program rules.

I did some muzzle flashes and CGi head hits with it on my flick. Only took 30 minutes to do each effect. As long as the zombie is in the distance it looks pretty real, if they are close up it takes a lot of color correction to pull it off.

I have the advanced version, which is a bitch. The normal version will do everything ya need for a zombie film, so don't waste the extra $50 and buy the pro, just get the regular.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Cereval -

Well, I ordered a copy today but I have been lucky enough to see it already. Dj came down one day before we were filming and we popped it on my Sony 50" LCD tv and checked it out.. wow!

I have to say, I enjoyed the film a lot. I love seeing what other independent filmmakers are doing and how they approach their projects.

First, I loved the fact it was in B&W - I've always been a huge fan of B&W films, even B&W photographs. There's just something about it - I can't put my finger on it, but I love the look.

There were many cool aspects of the movie (especially the variation of each character and the development of said characters throughout the film) and I thought the story itself was really cool too. The dude playing the 'bad guy' left me feeling just that - he's not a nice guy, and is just doing whatever the hell he can to survive.

I know someone earlier mentioned the acting - I personally liked the acting for the most part. Sure, there's a few spots (very few) that are iffy, but I isn't so bad it detracts from the story nor the pace of the film, so it didn't bother me one bit. Believe me, I'm sure you've seen parts of Deadlands; you've seen what I've done acting-wise (Dj told you I was the long-haired hippie, right? ), I take zero pride in my acting and it's something I realized was no where near as easy to pull off and come off "naturally" as I thought. I still to this day have problems walking too fast for Dj and our DP when they're filming me - I can't walk slow and make it look and feel 'natural' - it's so... ummm... unnatural to walk that way! So, needless to say, acting isn't as easy as most think it is. I'll never say I'm a good actor. I try, but that's the best I can do. But seriously - I'm not sure how much time you spent recording those dialogue scenes, but they came out damn good for what they are.

There was only one bit of constructive criticism I have, and I certainly hope you don't take this the wrong way, as I enjoyed the film immensely....

The one thing about working with Dj (and maybe I'm spoiled because of this) is that he works on such a large/epic scale - the scope of Deadlands (for being a low-budget indie picture) borders on ridiculous! Yes, sometimes people say "ya'll bit off more than you can chew" well, lets just say we have healthy appetites for films. Now, please keep in mind I'm not trying to compare Deadscapes to Deadlands - they're two totally different animals (with the exception of zombies! ) but I can only go by what I've experienced, and Deadlands has been my first experience in filmmaking, so it's kinda my point of reference, but not to 'compare' to.

Anyway..the one thing I would've liked to have seen in your flick (and the only thing I feel it was lacking, if there really is anything lacking) was something to show or explain why there should be such desperation with these characters - why they're so in fear for their lives. The movie starts with a single zombie, then the other 2 characters show up and the film takes off. I would've liked to seen some other indication in the beginning that the world has gone to hell in a handbasket and why these characters are so concerned for their safety. At first, it seems after only seeing one zombie that there isn't much to be afraid of. That, of course, might be because of my lack of knowledge behind the story of the film too. I, in all honesty, didn't know anything about the project 'till Dj showed up with the DVD.

Anyway, the thing is, I didn't get the feeling of "oh dear god, they're in deep **** with everything that's going on - the world is screwed, and they better get their ass to safer ground" - does that make sense? There is a reason for them to be scared, yes, but something is needed to allure to the fact that the world is screwed beyond repair. Man, sometimes it's hard for me to describe what I'm thinking... do you get what I’m saying at all? That is the only thing I would've liked to have seen in addition to what you presented already in the film - something to show that there is a reason for being so desperate to stay alive.

Other than that, dude, I applaud your film and I really enjoyed it. I am anxious to see the next part (dont' stop now, you're on a roll!) and hope you continue making films. I'll be there to watch 'em, that's for sure! Great work!

LC

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    Cereval -

Well, I ordered a copy today but I have been lucky enough to see it already. Dj came down one day before we were filming and we popped it on my Sony 50" LCD tv and checked it out.. wow!

I have to say, I enjoyed the film a lot. I love seeing what other independent filmmakers are doing and how they approach their projects.
    Thanks! I appreciate the kind words, especially from my peers. I'm the same way - I like seeing what others are doing - it's usually so different and yet the same.

First, I loved the fact it was in B&W - I've always been a huge fan of B&W films, even B&W photographs. There's just something about it - I can't put my finger on it, but I love the look.
    I'm the same way, something about the look is just neat. Truth be told, my use of black & white was a combination of two things: a nod to Romero and a compensation for my lack of color-balancing skills . Since I had no DP on this project (or really any other crew) I didn't have the time and patience to do proper shooting as a production should (white balancing, etc.). I knew that I could accomplish something at least watchable and perhaps even a little eery with black and white. I love using shadows and such - it's one of the things I love about the original NOTLD.

There were many cool aspects of the movie (especially the variation of each character and the development of said characters throughout the film) and I thought the story itself was really cool too. The dude playing the 'bad guy' left me feeling just that - he's not a nice guy, and is just doing whatever the hell he can to survive.
    If there's one thing I hoped would save any consequences of poor shooting / circumstances (indie BS), it was the little story. I'm really happy my friends were able to pull it off.

I know someone earlier mentioned the acting - I personally liked the acting for the most part. Sure, there's a few spots (very few) that are iffy, but I isn't so bad it detracts from the story nor the pace of the film, so it didn't bother me one bit. Believe me, I'm sure you've seen parts of Deadlands; you've seen what I've done acting-wise (Dj told you I was the long-haired hippie, right? ), I take zero pride in my acting and it's something I realized was no where near as easy to pull off and come off "naturally" as I thought. I still to this day have problems walking too fast for Dj and our DP when they're filming me - I can't walk slow and make it look and feel 'natural' - it's so... ummm... unnatural to walk that way! So, needless to say, acting isn't as easy as most think it is. I'll never say I'm a good actor. I try, but that's the best I can do. But seriously - I'm not sure how much time you spent recording those dialogue scenes, but they came out damn good for what they are.
    I'm glad you can sympathize with this way of looking at the acting. Unfortunately, it takes being able to relate directly in order to do so. For me, I will only be unforgiving of the acting when it comes to Hollywood - these people do this for a living and earn plenty at their craft. So when I see a sorry display of character execution in big budgets, I get a little agitated. When I look at the stuff that I and we do as indies, I think of how inexperienced we are but how we're trying our damn hardest. There's a lot of heart in indie. And not a lot of BS. I can appreciate this.

Anyway..the one thing I would've liked to have seen in your flick (and the only thing I feel it was lacking, if there really is anything lacking) was something to show or explain why there should be such desperation with these characters - why they're so in fear for their lives. The movie starts with a single zombie, then the other 2 characters show up and the film takes off. I would've liked to seen some other indication in the beginning that the world has gone to hell in a handbasket and why these characters are so concerned for their safety. At first, it seems after only seeing one zombie that there isn't much to be afraid of. That, of course, might be because of my lack of knowledge behind the story of the film too. I, in all honesty, didn't know anything about the project 'till Dj showed up with the DVD.
    I completely understand this observation. I've thought of this plenty. Basically, I decided to do a genre film that was rooted heavily into the myth of zombies rather than doing an apocalyptic approach. I went at it with the assumption that the viewer is already aware of the setting and doesn't need much setup. The setting up I did was pretty scarce (in the title credits) which I'd even say is subtle. Imagine a film like Land of the Dead without the explanatory credit sequence - to someone unfamiliar with the storyline, the movie might seem a bit strange - even nonsensical. I did Broken Road this way for two reasons:
    1. Circling The Drain would've been my apocalypse angle. Post CTD, I decided on approaching from left field: no more Dawn of the Dead-isms. I, a 21-year genre junkie, have gone beyond the angle of explaination of the phenomenon. This is not meant negatively towards that angle in any way, Dawn is the pinnacle IMO (see tattoo). But I think that at this point (post zombie rennaissance) telling the story from the beginning has become overdone - it's what everyone does when they make a zombie movie. This is why I've chosen the lesser-traveled road - a more stylistic form of a zombie flick. But one of the drawbacks, as you've pointed out, is the lack of establishment.
    2. As with all my experience thus far, people flake out on you. During CTD, we had dozens and dozens of people to be zombie extras --- only a fraction of them actually followed through on showing up. For Broken Road, I had a few supplemental scenes planned that would've established the apocalypse feel, but because the production ended a bit abruptly, those scenes were never done.

Other than that, dude, I applaud your film and I really enjoyed it. I am anxious to see the next part (dont' stop now, you're on a roll!) and hope you continue making films. I'll be there to watch 'em, that's for sure! Great work!
    Thanks again! It really means a lot to hear feedback. I can't wait to see what you guys have done with Deadlands --- keep us posted.

United States
    As with all my experience thus far, people flake out on you. During CTD, we had dozens and dozens of people to be zombie extras --- only a fraction of them actually followed through on showing up.
    Man, you ain't kidding! lol.. you wouldn't BELIEVE how many people tell us "Hell yeah, we're there! we'll be extras for you" - then one of two things happens:

1) They don't show up (usually the case)

or

2) They find out the hard way what it is to be an extra on a movie set and don't come back. Most of these people don't realize that when being an extra on a movie set, it's 80% waiting, 20% filming - if you're lucky. My favorite line to extras: "BRING A BOOK!"

Dj and I can totally relate to that situation.

For Broken Road, I had a few supplemental scenes planned that would've established the apocalypse feel, but because the production ended a bit abruptly, those scenes were never done.
    I totally understand - and knowing that, I probably would've never brought it up. I'm assuming budget or personnel constraints - of which we can relate to also. It seems your budget or your personnel are always the one thing that can really bring you down or at a minimum make things not quite go as planned. There are lots of changes that had to be made to the original Deadlands script simply due to those kinds of restraints.

Basically, I decided to do a genre film that was rooted heavily into the myth of zombies rather than doing an apocalyptic approach. I went at it with the assumption that the viewer is already aware of the setting and doesn't need much setup.
    Knowing it was done with this approach, it makes much more sense to me now. A very unique approach, and I like it a lot. This movie is made for the 'already a zombie movie enthusiast' - knowing that, your direction makes much more sense.

Y'know Cereval, I was paying attention to CTD for a while, but by the time I found out about it (I was late getting to HPotD - Dj finally pulled me in here) you were almost done with it, albeit it not the 'done' we were all hoping for. I was checking out the trailers, and man it looked really good. I'm bummed things didn't work out for that project as I'm sure you are even more so, but that certainly did look like your apocalyptic zombie film. I was really anxious to see it, but then things went awry. It happens. I'm glad you picked yourself up and started another project. As Dee Snider would say, never let the bastards wear ya down.

Still, I'm glad you're able to accept peoples input as you do. I really liked the movie and I'm damn glad I was able to check it out. Believe me, when Deadlands is done, ya'll will have lots to talk about. I hope it's good stuff, but I fully expect people to say "WTF is with that long-haired dude? he looks and acts like he's perpetually stoned! "

Anyway, bottom line, a very enjoyable flick man. I can't wait for my copy and for you to get the second part done.

LC
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 25-Mar-2006 at 12:05 AM.

Undisclosed
    To bring up the use of the black and white nod to GAR, when the film began, I couldn't help but look at it as a different scenario with different people set in the same universe as the OG Night.

With that said, I didn't need any set up of the apocolytic situation as I was looking at this as a parallel to night. Wait that's confusing.

What is mean is that it gave me the impression that this was a film set in the same time and situation as Night's events and since Night had already set me up with what was going on, I fell right into the story and already knew why they feared for their lives. Excellent choice with the B&W.

As I stated on the old boards, my FAVE OH RITE scene was the gas filling scene. You did one hell of a job setting up an intensely creepy atmosphere there especially with the original score. That score is some good stuff!!!

Written and Performed by Cereval I understand.

BTW: You never did tell me if I could get the score in .mp3's.

I would like to put that on a CD and lisen to it. I'm a score freak!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn
    To bring up the use of the black and white nod to GAR, when the film began, I couldn't help but look at it as a different scenario with different people set in the same universe as the OG Night.

With that said, I didn't need any set up of the apocolytic situation as I was looking at this as a parallel to night. Wait that's confusing.

What is mean is that it gave me the impression that this was a film set in the same time and situation as Night's events and since Night had already set me up with what was going on, I fell right into the story and already knew why they feared for their lives. Excellent choice with the B&W.
    This is exactly the knowledge I presume the audience knows --- if not, I can see where there'll be some confusion. This is what happens with fanfilms, they're a bit more focused and less explanatory. Like when reading fan fiction, there usually is little to no setup, the premise is understood.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn
    As I stated on the old boards, my FAVE OH RITE scene was the gas filling scene. You did one hell of a job setting up an intensely creepy atmosphere there especially with the original score. That score is some good stuff!!!

Written and Performed by Cereval I understand.

BTW: You never did tell me if I could get the score in .mp3's.

I would like to put that on a CD and lisen to it. I'm a score freak!
    You've brought up a cool idea and I've taken the liberty of doing something about it. For you and the rest of the score fans out there, I've posted the Broken Road Soundtrack at Precious Nightmare. I too dig score and soundtracks, but selfishly, usually only for my beloved dead films. For me it's more about mood and atmosphere so I usually listen to similar instrumental music outside of the movie realm. But I digress, these tracks are hardly a soundtrack --- more like supplemental noises and creepy sounds for the film. I hope you enjoy ...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i got my copy yesterday.awesome!!!!!!! really good movie AND there was a hot chick in it. 5 stars, my friends.

ViP

Undisclosed

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    i got my copy yesterday.awesome!!!!!!! really good movie AND there was a hot chick in it. 5 stars, my friends.
    Thanks dude! I'm glad you enjoyed it! My girlfriend doesn't believe that she's hot (though I tell her all the time ) but she thanks you! Deadscapes II is going to be better (I hope!) ...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereval View Post
    Thanks dude! I'm glad you enjoyed it! My girlfriend doesn't believe that she's hot (though I tell her all the time ) but she thanks you! Deadscapes II is going to be better (I hope!) ...

yes i did enjoy it,quite the short film and the extras to boot were awesome. i knew you looked familiar,as soon as i saw u i recognized u from a pic i saw online with u and romero showing off your tattoo.

hold on to that chick,bro. its better that she doesnt know how good looking she is. tell her i said "you're welcome"

i'll be looking for part two like you said. but i need to be the token black guy in this one

ViP

Undisclosed
    yes i did enjoy it,quite the short film and the extras to boot were awesome. i knew you looked familiar,as soon as i saw u i recognized u from a pic i saw online with u and romero showing off your tattoo.
    Guilty as charged. That was and is still indeed me.

hold on to that chick,bro. its better that she doesnt know how good looking she is. tell her i said "you're welcome"
    ... almost 4 years and holding - she's staying right here with me.

i'll be looking for part two like you said. but i need to be the token black guy in this one
    I have yet to write in the token black guy - where do you live??

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Guilty as charged. That was and is still indeed me.

... almost 4 years and holding - she's staying right here with me.

I have yet to write in the token black guy - where do you live??

really really cool pic. i wanna say it was on the dawn of the dead ultimate edition? or was that just u doing the mall tour?

4 years? man, must seem like forever honestly. 4 years in a relationship is really like 8. just kinda crawls by.

i live in toledo,ohio. so about 6 hours away if you're in chicago

ViP

Undisclosed
    really really cool pic. i wanna say it was on the dawn of the dead ultimate edition? or was that just u doing the mall tour?
    That was me too. I didn't have my tattoo during the con and George wasn't there either. I did catch up with him twice in the next year though - both times here in Chicago - once to have him sign my arm the other to have him check out the ink!

4 years? man, must seem like forever honestly. 4 years in a relationship is really like 8. just kinda crawls by.
    Naw ... being in love gives the time together a real different feel.

i live in toledo,ohio. so about 6 hours away if you're in chicago
    I guess that's not so bad considering one of my lead actors lives 11 hours away in North Carolina!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    That was me too. I didn't have my tattoo during the con and George wasn't there either. I did catch up with him twice in the next year though - both times here in Chicago - once to have him sign my arm the other to have him check out the ink!

Naw ... being in love gives the time together a real different feel.

I guess that's not so bad considering one of my lead actors lives 11 hours away in North Carolina!

very cool that you've met him so many times. now if i could only meet kiss more than once.....

yea love is rare these days,trust me i'd know.

yikes north carolina? thats a haul and a half. my cousin came out with a movie(project 313) thats at wal mart best buy and blockbuster,im in the process of trying to goad him into making a zombie film in detroit.

Undisclosed
    I bought my DVD the day Cereval pimped it on "The Reel Horror Fourm" a looooong time ago. I've watched it numerous times. Can't wait for the new one man. Good luck!

Dr. Pus