View Poll Results: Have you seen Deadscapes: Broken Road?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I have the VCD.

11 50.00%
  • Yes! I have the DVD.

7 31.82%
  • No, I haven't.

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got 'Broken Road'?

ViP

Undisclosed

Thumbs up Got 'Broken Road'?

I'm happy to report that since December 2005, the first episode of Deadscapes currently has well over 100 copies in circulation all over the world. I'd like to thank everyone for showing their support and I hope that at least most enjoyed the short. It's received a few critiques here and there along with some praises as well. It's also been entered into several film fests throughout the US.

I shouldn't neglect to say that the majority of exposure I've gotten is from this site, so my undying (& undead) loyalty goes to Neil and his badass zombie site.

Deadscapes II is currently in pre-production ... the future looks promising. If you haven't already, get your FREE copy of Deadscapes: Broken Road!

Administrator

England
    Any info on no 2? ie: Basic premis?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Any info on no 2? ie: Basic premis?
    Well, if I can get past pre-production ...

Quote Originally Posted by me, when I broke the news:
    As for the story itself, I don't want to say too much right now. Hopefully, this story will bring an original spin to themes touched on by the "I Am Legend" storyline. No, I'm not retelling that one, but I am exploring some newer themes with that idea as a basis.

Undisclosed
    Come on people, it's freaking FREE!!!!!!! And, it's a pretty damn fun little flick from one of our own!!

If you haven't seen, and you're a hpotd member, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!

Hope that help Kris!!!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn
    Come on people, it's freaking FREE!!!!!!! And, it's a pretty damn fun little flick from one of our own!!

If you haven't seen, and you're a hpotd member, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!

Hope that help Kris!!!
    Whoah! Support rules. Thanks dude!

Just been bitten Pistolero Films's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Ceraval,

Just wondering what you are doing to market the movie? What works and what doesn't?

Thanks for the free VCD BTW...

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero Films
    Ceraval,

Just wondering what you are doing to market the movie? What works and what doesn't?

Thanks for the free VCD BTW...
    The best marketing "strategy" (if you can call it that) so far is the free VCD. I did this with hundreds of CTD trailers and it really made a difference. When you have something to actually give people when you promote personally, it brings much better results than simply saying "go to my website." I don't know anyone else doing this with their shorts, most others simply post it online. But since I have the means, I think this works very well. Especially considering this is my initial effort, like with a band's demo, at first you need to be heard by as many people as possible. Giving it away free is the best idea at this point to reach the largest possible audience.

I've said it before, but first and foremost this website is a key to getting it to my target audience(s). The traffic of genre-specific fans all over the world provides an exposure that I would otherwise be unable to have.

I also have used the notoriety of Circling The Drain to help spearhead people's awareness of the project. I do it indirectly and subtley, but I take advantage of the fact that many people had heard about and looked forward to the previous project.

I also advertise on dozens of horror website and indie filmmaker forums all over the Internet. In doing this, I branch out from just genre fans to people interested in the craft of making films as well.

And lastly, word of mouth. My friends frequently pass on the word of what I and we did and it provides local attention. I've also got a few fellow filmmaker friends with whom I try cross promoting with.

... as far as what doesn't work ... I haven't really tried anything that came up with nothing. The few methods I've tried have been relatively successful with all considered. The one thing that hasn't paid off yet is film festivals ... it's too early yet to really say this since most of them are still processing my submission. But like I've found with only one fest so far, I spend $30 or $40 submission fee plus shipping only to find out it has not been accepted - this, to me, does not work at all and might be a little frustrating if it continues.

ViP

United States
    Just signed up for a VCD. Looking forward to it!

United Kingdom
    i got mine, Thanks man, very good film cant wait to see what you come up with for the Second, looking forwards to it. good work dude!

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by KingStoph
    i got mine, Thanks man, very good film cant wait to see what you come up with for the Second, looking forwards to it. good work dude!
    Rock on! Thanks for watching and shooting me a reaction. With any luck, Deadscapes II will start shooting sooner than later. Stay tuned.

ViP

United States
    I got my VCD copy in last Friday and watched it over the weekend. Some thoughts.

I like the use of Black and White. It helped shroud the surroundings, and gave a boost to the atmosphere.

The story was good enough, believable scenarios.

The two male leads were passable actors, I cannot say as much for your girlfriend Cereveal The guy is supposed to be beating the door in to get her, and she is talking to him like he is some annoying geek at a party who wont leave

The set was nice, I like the idea of a camper.

The headshots were decent, and the use of a silencer shows that you put some thought into logistics. The neck effect was a little distracting. I think it would have worked better as a quicker cut.

I thought the editing was crafty, they way you tried to force a story perspective. It was a nice touch.

All in all, a good, somewhat stylistic effort. Was this your first attempt?

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    I like the use of Black and White. It helped shroud the surroundings, and gave a boost to the atmosphere.
    A little nod on my part but also a substitute for my inexperience in color correction.

The two male leads were passable actors, I cannot say as much for your girlfriend Cereveal The guy is supposed to be beating the door in to get her, and she is talking to him like he is some annoying geek at a party who wont leave
    For all being first-timers, I more applaud their agreement to do it in the first place rather than their performances themselves. That was actually the scene we didn't finish. Those were rehearsal takes. But alas, excuses aside, it is what it is ...

The headshots were decent, and the use of a silencer shows that you put some thought into logistics.
    I wasn't about to start firing off 8mm blanks in a parking lot. And plus, the storyline calls for this kind of logic, like you say.

The neck effect was a little distracting. I think it would have worked better as a quicker cut.
    A common lament. And I agree, it didn't work out as planned.

I thought the editing was crafty, they way you tried to force a story perspective. It was a nice touch.

All in all, a good, somewhat stylistic effort. Was this your first attempt?
    Thank you. And yes, this is my first completed effort.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereval
    I wasn't about to start firing off 8mm blanks in a parking lot. And plus, the storyline calls for this kind of logic, like you say.
    I have an old copy of alamDV (now called something else, didn't bother to update) and I plan to use GCI muzzle flashes and fake guns.

ViP

Undisclosed
    I have an old copy of alamDV (now called something else, didn't bother to update) and I plan to use GCI muzzle flashes and fake guns.
    Right on! That's the way to go if you have the means ...

ViP

United States
    Here is a link to that software.

http://fxhome.com/

The FXLab DV is decently priced at $111. AlamDV was much less expensive (around $65 I think) but they got bought out. The software still looks good though.