Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMC to air ALL episodes in black & white

Super Moderator

UK
    Air Dates - apparently no info on 2x07-2x13 yet...

http://dailydead.com/airdates-for-th...hite-episodes/

Feb. 14, 6:30 p.m. 101
    Feb. 14, 8 p.m. 102
    Feb. 21, 8 p.m. 103
    Feb. 28, 8 p.m. 104
    March 7, 8 p.m. 105
    March 14, 8 p.m. 106
    March 21, 7:30 p.m. 201
    April 4, 8 p.m. 202
    April 11, 8 p.m. 203
    April 18, 8 p.m. 204
    April 25, 8 p.m. 205
    May 2, 8 p.m. 206

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I saw some screenshots of the B&W version of 1x01 and it did look more like the 'wishy-washy' absense of colour, rather than an approximation of genuine B&W film.
    That was my worry, that it would end up being grey & grey, rather than black & white.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Well, put me in the "I see no problem with this" camp.

I've always been a huge fan of B&W photos and movies, way more than color, so this will just be an added bonus for me. Episode 1 in B&W was fantastic. Want to be impressed with a modern adaptation of B&W? Watch "The Mist" in black and white (mentioned due to Darabont connection) - it blew away the color version by 10 fold. The CGI blended with the scenery and the people soooo much better, not to mention it certainly had a more "creepy" vibe than the color version. If I have an opportunity to watch something in B&W or color, B&W wins 99.9% of the time.

I don't think the question should be "why?" but rather "why not?" If they're going to air all the episodes anyway, they might as well make it interesting for the people who have already seen it.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 18-Dec-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed, I see no problem with AMC airing them in B&W.

B&W screenshots from 1x01:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wa...8/#Screenshots

Re-checking on Blu-Ray.com, the B&W isn't as 'grey' as I'd remembered it being - although there is still definitely a subtle difference that makes it look like what it is - B&W after-the-fact. Now, naturally, you're going to get a better look if you shoot it in B&W originally, and not quite as good a result if you do it in post.

Generally speaking though I'm not opposed to the idea at all (it's a neat way to freshen up oft-repeated episodes for the die-hard fanbase) - like I said - it doesn't look quite as 'grey' as I remembered it being, just not quite as good as genuine B&W cinematography either (naturally). Different film stock, different lighting situations, different colour schemes (e.g. clothing contrast), different requirements in make-up etc - subtle things that add up to a difference, if not a huge difference, but one nonetheless.

Speaking more generally, like Lou, I'm a big fan of B&W - although I love all looks - whichever suits best, and whichever was intended. I particularly like B&W photography as it feels more like a memory than colour does, if that makes sense?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The B&W version on the Season One Blu Ray, much like The Mist, was great imo. Needed? No. Nice little bonus? Of course. I look forward to seeing what the other episodes have to offer.

I seem to remember reading/seeing an interview with Darabont where he mentions that the pilot was actually converted to B&W. It wasn't just a simple turning down of the color, but they actually spent time and mastered it specifically for the format.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Dec-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    I personally think that's a waste of disk space. The viewer can turn down the colour and up the contrast and the same effect is achieved. That B+W space could be taken up with more satisfying content.

I too love B+W, when the film is shot for B+W. For instance, I cannot imagine 'Psycho' in colour. It would ruin it. Likewise for 'Night of the Living Dead'.

I have no issue of people want to view anything in B+W, however, filling up disk space with this crap, I draw the line at.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ There's no loss of disk space because the B&W version has it's own disk. Both The Mist and TWD have the feature disks, special features, then a seperate disc for the B&W version. As I said before, it's just a little bonus. Not required viewing and it doesn't cheapen any of the regular or special features, just something added on for those that wish to try something different.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Dec-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: .

Dead

United States
    The cinematography in TWD is actually done to allow for a desaturated look. While not exactly the same as being for B&W, everything is done for a desaturated color palette.
    I'm not sure if it's just a silver retention that they do. But if that's how they get that look, then increased contrast is a natural by-product of silver retention. So obviously they would choose colors of fabrics and alter makeup techniques and colors to suit that.
    That might be why they're comfortable doing things like show episodes in B&W. Because if all they were really doing was just showing it without the color information, you have to assume that their people are smart enough to know that it doesn't enhance anything that way.

Fresh Meat

United States
    I guess seeing the show in black and white might be interesting. Most of the first episode will be like watching the comic come to life, but with some added junk.

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The US TV ratings system is weird, though. From what I gather, you can show people getting shot in the head at nine in the morning, string-bikini-clad whores writhing in submissive sexual positions in mysogynistic rap videos at all times of the day, but if you said "fuck" or showed an actual nipple at 10pm on network TV, there'd be an uproar. Is that a fair assessment?
    I always travel down to Mexico every few months or so to visit family and I love turning on the basic television down there because after 10pm things get a bit racy. I find it strange, fascinating and stimulating. *coughs* I will just be going.