Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Rome II (video game)

Twitching

United States
    Just wanted to pop in,
    I don't get all the Steam-hate. Everything DLs and patches for me lightning-quick (admittedly probably because of RR-Lightning, a 5-8MB/S connection) and the prices go rock bottom so much faster than retail boxed games. I bought the THQ collection a couple days ago for 25$ and got like 15 games (of which about half are really enjoyable) + all the DoW II add-on stuff.

Now Steam would be a nightmare without a fast broadband connect, but are there still ISPs that are anything but out there?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Just wanted to pop in,
    I don't get all the Steam-hate. Everything DLs and patches for me lightning-quick (admittedly probably because of RR-Lightning, a 5-8MB/S connection) and the prices go rock bottom so much faster than retail boxed games. I bought the THQ collection a couple days ago for 25$ and got like 15 games (of which about half are really enjoyable) + all the DoW II add-on stuff.

Now Steam would be a nightmare without a fast broadband connect, but are there still ISPs that are anything but out there?
    I agree! I don't generally buy titles at full prices. I just put them on my wish list and wait for a reduction, which Steam kindly informs me of. Furthermore, multiplayer online play is made a breeze by it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I've no problem with Steam either now, I downloaded Far Cry 3 within about 5 hours last week which isnt bad, and have bought quite a few games through it over the past couple of years. Its irritating when the servers are down or when Steam does a big update when you just want a quick game on something, but it doesn't happen that often.

Ireland
    All the Steam love is about buying games cheap, which is grand.

But it's a f*cking awful pain in the arse and does things that's infuriating. It's patching policy is the worst. Even if you don't want to patch a particular game and click the "don't keep this game up to date" (or whatever it's called)... well f*ck you, it'll patch it anyway! And in the case of 'Shogun 2' it's utterly wretched and with some games it'll download the entire game, even if you bought the disc!!! WTF is up with that?

The only way to keep steam out of the way is to stay offline, which I do.

It's an awful piece of crap bit of software and it really needs an overhaul.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    ^^ Odd, I have Shogun 2 and not seen that sort of problem.

To be honest, I find it all beautifully seemless...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I thought it was just me, or that I'd managed to screw up my install somehow. But there's a large thread on the TWC and the Steam forums about it. Seems a lot of people were having that issue.

Worst thing about it though, is the nobody from Valve/Steam addressed the situation. They don't give a tinker's. Some poor guy from CA had to listen to all the complaints. Their support is absolutely awful.

Perhaps, it's just 'Shogun 2' that's affected like that, here's hoping. But the game has been out for a long time now, you'd think something like that would have been dealt with by now.

If something like that happens again, then I'm out. Waiting a day for some game to patch, a patch I didn't want, just so I could have a quick bash is ridiculous, no matter who's involved.

The ideal situation would be to have a Steam version and a disc version that doesn't require Steam...and fix the god damn patching issue. That alone is just desperate.

...and in the end what happens to all your games when Steam goes belly up?

You lose them all, because you don't actually own any of the games that use the Steam system. So, when Steam ceases to exist in the future, so will all the games that you have running through it.

Administrator

England
    ^^ We're going off topic

I thought you could buy the DVD version of a game (that can be supplied by Steam), and then sync it to Steam for updates?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    So I click on the Shogun2 exe today for the first time after my unwanted update and lo and behold, the exe won't work. The game CTD's every time.

FFS.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

mergo

I need this. I need this and I need Oculus Rift. I need it.

edit. Odd battle to choose for a tutorial, isn't it tho? it was more of an ambush and massacre.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 25-Apr-2013 at 09:25 AM.

England
    I'm all over this when it comes out, I can see it eating large chunks of my life!

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

England
    So has anyone played this yet? I see it's now available on Steam. I daren't download it till I've upgraded my graphics card though, I want to play it as it's meant to be seen and my GTX275 just won't cut the mustard on this one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I put in around 6 hours or so yesterday.

I'll write more indepth later but this is the bottom line:

If you are not a die hard TW fan, wait til next week. It is very poorly optimized and a lot of people (myself included) are experiencing very low FPS on even low graphical settings. And I can run Shogun 2 on ultra high without a hitch. There's just something wrong there that they need to fix (and they've already said a patch is coming friday or something like that).

The game itself is great, with a few minor gripes. But again, more on that later.

Ireland
    Ah crap. Was going to pick this up tomorrow.

Is there a definite patch out soon Ned?