Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Rome II (video game)

England

Total War: Rome II (video game)

Looking good so far, I can see this being a must buy in 2013!

Ireland
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Aaaaawww - the fucking - yeeeaaaah!!!
    Last edited by EvilNed; 17-Dec-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fuck

Super Moderator

United States
    I preferred the earlier games before they got all sparkly and graphically intense. However Rome eventually became a great game, especially after modders got to it, so this should kick butt, or eventually kick butt after its optimized and patched.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I know what you mean, Medieval: Total War is their crowning achievement to a lot of people. I've had good blasts with all their games (sans Napoleon and Shogun 2, I just cant keep up). I loved them all, and put down hundreds of hours into each one. But I'd say that the problem with the newer games was probably the tactical AI. While it wasn't very advanced in Shogun or Medieval, it's often downright stupid in Rome and beyond. There's pathfinding and script bugs in the unit behavior in Medieval 2. For instance, melee fighters will simply not charge the way any ordinary unit would! They'd stop a few feet from the enemy, and then the first rank and the first rank only would charge, whereas the rest would simply linger back with drawn swords. An annoying bug that was, to my knowledge, never fixed.

Rome suffered from overpowered cavalry and a campaign AI that was pretty stupid. Remember how diplomats would just stand next to your cities and engage them yet do nothing? It was usually a sign that an attack was imminent.

In Medieval 2, the campaign AI was just unreliable. No peace or truce could ever be counted on. Pretty annoying too.

However I have to say that I really enjoyed Empire. But damn, what an ambitious game? Like hundreds of units, over 20 factions, feature Europe/Middle East/India and a big chunk of western america? I only ever played one, but I put like 70 hours into it, having a vast trade empire that encompassed all of india and a path all the way up to Scandinavia. Lots of small bugs throughout, but no deal breaker. As I understood it, the indian factions always, always go on a conquering spree, however.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I know what you mean, Medieval: Total War is their crowning achievement to a lot of people.
    +1

I still play M:TW

Ireland
    I only hope they don't use steam. I'm fucking sick of it.

I'm nearly 20 hours downloading a patch for Shogun II and it's a patch I don't even want. I even had the "Don't automatically update blah blah" button checked. Steam just automatically decides that it's going to patch the game anyway....fuck you user!

Stupid bleeder...

@Ned, I think somebody did a revamp of Medieval II's AI recently enough. I haven't played the game in ages meself, but a friend of mine swears by it.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 18-Dec-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    @Ned, I think somebody did a revamp of Medieval II's AI recently enough. I haven't played the game in ages meself, but a friend of mine swears by it.
    If you could ask your friend more about that, I'd be so amped to play that game again. It was pretty shitty, no?

Ireland
    Ah, I thought it was grand. I got rid of the Pope and played on hard.

But, while I love the period, 'Napoleon' captured me more. Couldn't get enough of that game.

But, you're right, the treachery of other nations regardless of how you schmoozed them was a PITA.

I'll get the name of the mod for you.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 18-Dec-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

But, while I love the period, 'Napoleon' captured me more.
    I never picked up Napoleon, but I did (eventually) love Empire: TW, even though it was pretty wretched at release.

Now I'm feeling like I'm going to install some of these games on my current rig and start playing again...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Medieval 2 was my favourite despite its flaws, that period of history fascinates me and I lost countless hours in that game. It'll likely be 3 years or more away but I hope they go back to the Medieval period again.
    Really fired up for Rome though!!

United States
    After watching that video, better start saving up for a new video card...

Ireland
    @Ned: The name of the mod my mate is using is called Retrofit 1.0.

I haven't used it myself now, so I can't say if it's any use. But, I might get it down and fire up the game with it. My try a different Nation this time, instead of playing the English.

But, I'm just so used to playing the bad guys....

Anyway, the Shogun 2 update finished last night. 22 hours for a bleedin update! Shogun 2 and Steam's patching is fecking mind blowing. Steam downloads the whole 15 gig of game when it patches.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I bloody hate Steam...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I usually play the Danes, but once I conquered the world with the french. Some of their late game stuff is great.

In the original medieval I used to play either the Danes or the Almohads (Moors in MTW2).

Gonna try the Retrofit. I wonder if it's compatible with Stainless Steel?
    Last edited by EvilNed; 19-Dec-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: lingel

England
    I always played as either the English or the Holy Roman Empire on Medieval 2, the English was relatively straight forward barring the Danes always attacking Antwerp, (though I never completed it within the amount of turns it gave you) but the Holy Roman Empire was very hard I thought, they had great gear and strong units, but were constantly under attack from all sides which always depleted my forces and left me struggling for cash to reinforce and advance!