Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incredible act of Christmas kindness by a fellow HPotD member....

United States

Incredible act of Christmas kindness by a fellow HPotD member....

Ok, I had to post this. It might end up being a bit long, but it inolves one of our members here and an AMAZING act of kindness he showed to my son this Christmas.

Quick background: My son turned 16 last February. He wasn't "anxious" to get his license, but he would talk about it every once in a while. He could have got his learners permit back when he turned 15, but he wasn't that interested and my wife was petrified at the idea of him driving at that age. Not sure if you guys have the same thing in the UK, but a 'learners permit' is a pre-license thing where you can drive, but one of your parents or a relative must be in the car with you at all times. You are required, in my state, to have a learners permit for at least 9 months before you can get your license. You also must be 16 to get your license in this state.

Flash to 2 weeks ago: my son started asking about seriously getting his learners permit. He really wanted to go take the test, so, we decided to take him this past saturday after he spent a week cramming for the test. He passed, got his learner's permit, and now needs to spend at a minimum, 9 months driving under this permit.

Flash forward to Monday, 12/17/12 - I get a call from this fellow member saying, "hey, check out this link I just emailed you, I think I am going to buy this for your son if it's ok with you."

What was he looking at? I'll tell you: it was a link to an ebay motors auction for a 1995, V6 Camaro! Now, before you say to yourself "goddamn, it's almost 18 years old! Why buy a junker like that?!" let me tell you something: This car is almost 18 years old and only has 92,000 miles on it and is in pristine condition. While that may also sound like a fair amount of miles, consider this: The average amount of miles put on a vehicle in the USA is about 10,000-15,000 miles. This Camaro has only had around 5,400 miles per year put on it! The thing HAD to be garage kept - there isn't a spec of dust in the motor area (not one! It's SHOCKING how clean it is!), there is ZERO rust on the car (which is f*cking amazing considering we live in an area where, during the winter, they salt the living shit out of the roads which = lots of rust on cars). The only thing we can think is the previous owner (yes, there has only been one owner of this car since it was bought new) must've bought this thing as a mid-life crisis car and garage kept the thing and only drove it on weekends. There's no other explanation based on how incredible of condition it's in. After he pulled the history of the car from Carfax we found out it has never been in an accident, either. Bonus!

It runs like a dream. It's quiet, and it runs as if it's only a few years old and it's in impeccable condition. Hell, even the plastic cover that covers the radiator and radiator fan has stickers on it that look like they were just applied yesterday (see below). It's nothing short of amazing the condition it's in. Even the interior has no issues. There was one "split" seam in the seat which was about 1-1.5 inches in length, but the dealership sewed that up before it was picked up. The tires are brand-freakin'-new on the thing too.

Here's a photo of the car sitting out front of the dealership before he picked it up:

Regardless of how you feel about him here, let me tell you something: this guy - who is also a member here - has a heart the size of Texas, and I cannot thank him enough for this. It was brought over to our house on Wednesday to show it to my son and show him what he has coming to him as soon as he gets his license. My son was SPEECHLESS. He didn't know what to say, but after quite a few minutes he turned this person, hugged them and said "THANK YOU, DAD!" to which I replied "Good, now that you're his Dad, remember that he hits college in 2 years, so be ready for that bill!"

So by now, you're wondering who this member might be - or perhaps you've already guess. In case you haven't, that member is none other than...

DjfunkmasterG

Yeah, you read that right! Dj bought my kid a f*cking car for xmas! Can you believe this guy? I knew he was off his rocker, but goddamn!

How do you even go about thanking someone for something like this? I mean, seriously? The best I can do right now is just say, THANKS DEEJ!!!!

A few more photos Dj took after picking up the car:

I have more pics, but I have to get back to work. I'll post 'em as soon as I can. Talk about an incredible act of kindness! And it doesn't end there. He took the car back home with him and has already taken it to the dealership and had it looked over front to back. Save for a few minor, minor, issues, this thing is ready to rock.

May everyone have as good of a Holiday as my son. Hopefully someone hits you with a random act of kindness in a similar way.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Administrator

England
    WOW! Nice going there DJ!

Looks in amazing conditions!

ps: Car insurance in the UK for young kids is mad! My nephew's insurance on his little Vauxhall Corsa is over £2000 a year!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Car insurance in the UK for young kids is mad! My nephew's insurance on his little Vauxhall Corsa is over £2000 a year!
    Yeah, car insurance for a 16 year old would normally be outrageous in almost any car. Since Dj was actually able to pay for the car in full, the only insurance that has to be put on the car is what we call "liabililty" insurance here, so it shouldn't be too expensive. At least I hope so!

He's going to pay his own insurance anyway, so hopefully he gets a lot of hours from his job!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very cool. You're a good man, Gary.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I had to do it... he almost got a 2013 Mustang

Here is the video of us presenting it to him.

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Do you know what kind of car it is?" "I don't care!"

Great Christmas story, guys. Thanks for sharing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "Do you know what kind of car it is?" "I don't care!"

Great Christmas story, guys. Thanks for sharing.
    That part makes ROFL everytime.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    He had absolutely no idea what to say after seeing the car. It was quite hilarious.

I wish we would've caught the "Thanks dad!" moment on film.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    I had to do it... he almost got a 2013 Mustang
    I'm actually glad he didn't - can you imagine the insurance rates on a 2013 Mustang for a 16 year old new driver?

*passes out at the thought*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    He had absolutely no idea what to say after seeing the car. It was quite hilarious.

I wish we would've caught the "Thanks dad!" moment on film.

I'm actually glad he didn't - can you imagine the insurance rates on a 2013 Mustang for a 16 year old new driver?

*passes out at the thought*
    I think Michelle caught it Lou.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Dead

United States
    That's awesome!! Secret Santa makes a comeback...

How's a person get on DJ's christmas list anyway??

Super Moderator

United States
    A Camaro? Camaro?! Jeez, Uncle Gary, are you gonna pay the child support when Lou's kid knocks some cheerleader up in the backseat?

Seriously, though, what a gesture! Very cool, Gary. I know I'll say it again later this weekend, but Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I think Michelle caught it Lou.
    Oh hell, I thought she was just taking pictures, not video! If she caught that moment on video, I'm posting that sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    How's a person get on DJ's christmas list anyway??
    Good question! Hey, Deej! I need a (hot) red-headed hooker for xmas - can ya hook a brother up?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    A Camaro? Camaro?! Jeez, Uncle Gary, are you gonna pay the child support when Lou's kid knocks some cheerleader up in the backseat?
    I hope so, 'cause in that car, it could happen!

See kids? This just goes to show ya, there IS a Santa Claus. Contrary to popular belief, however, he is bald, doesn't wear that goofy red suit and doesn't have a beard.

Ireland
    What Lou neglected to mention was that the kid is only allowed to play this song while in the and nothing else...

Tsk....there's always bleedin something.........
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

See kids? This just goes to show ya, there IS a Santa Claus. Contrary to popular belief, however, he is bald, doesn't wear that goofy red suit and doesn't have a beard.
    Does a foul mouthed, 350lb, angry as f*ck, goatee sporting filmmaker count?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw the video a couple of days ago on YouTube - a very kind act indeed, Gary!

A pretty nifty motor for a first car, too.

Lou - here in the UK you can get your learner's permit at 17. A couple of days after my 17th birthday I started learning to drive, and about 9 or 10 months later I'd passed. I can't even imagine learning to drive at fifteen!!! I was enough of a dope behind the wheel between 17 and 21 as it was! (Nowhere near as dopey as some mates, though).

As for the backseat - hmmm ... bucket-like seats ... ... might be a bit uncomfortable, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Also - last time I saw the kid was in Deadlands (where he was just a boy - playing the main kid's friend IIRC), and now I see this video and the boy's damn-near a man!