Thread: Forum was down for a day, and ShoutBox has gone.

Administrator

England

Forum was down for a day, and ShoutBox has gone.

The forum was unfortunately down for much of yesterday and today. This was due to the site (almost certainly this forum) bursting CPU usage limits on the server. I suspect this was a random event of just too many people at once, doing to much stuff, almost certainly the majority of whom were guests!

As such myself and Andy (mostly Andy ) are in the process of optimising this forum to make it run leaner, lighter and more efficient. As a positive side effect you should hopefully notice the forum running quicker.

However, one victim, for the time being at least, is the ShoutBox at the top of the main forum. This could be a bit of a resource hit, so it's been disabled for the time being...

We'ved removed a lot of smaller features. If you believe we've disabled anything that truly affects you, please let us know.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    *Insert sobbing like a little girl emoticon*

Now where will I put all my pithy one liners? Oh woes is moi.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I thought a lot of us had already told you where you could put 'em
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 04-Jan-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Hug it out bro

United States
    no shoutbox?

United States
    RIP Shoutbox

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Good one, Neil!

Yes, I too am saddened by our shoutbox loss. Hopefully she will return in some shape or form down the road. Until then, we shall mourn her passing...

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm hopeful this will eventually all get sorted out. You'll see, someday we'll look back on this and only remember how Neil zinged Moon, and it will all seem worth it for the little bit of inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    RIP Shoutbox
    It sounds like it's too early to pronounce any feature good and dead for the long term.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I don't miss the shoutbox. Anything to make this place load faster. I'm an impatient bastard.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    ...how Neil zinged Moon.
    How Neil did WHAT?!?!

Is it wrong that sounds sexual to me? And that it turns me on a little bit...ok, a lot?

Fresh Meat

United States
    All this is so new to me. It was about six years ago when I left on my weird voyage. Now that I am back this forum is strange and fancy. I like most of the changes. I am glad to be back! Way to go Neil! Still, I think some faces are missing.
    A little thing I wrote.
    When there is no more room in... Well, you know the rest or you wouldn't be here in the first place.