Thread: America's narcissistic youth

United States

America's narcissistic youth

We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists

A new analysis of the American Freshman Survey, which has accumulated data for the past 47 years from 9 million young adults, reveals that college students are more likely than ever to call themselves gifted and driven to succeed, even though their test scores and time spent studying are decreasing.

Psychologist Jean Twenge, the lead author of the analysis, is also the author of a study showing that the tendency toward narcissism in students is up 30 percent in the last thirty-odd years.

This data is not unexpected. I have been writing a great deal over the past few years about the toxic psychological impact of media and technology on children, adolescents and young adults, particularly as it regards turning them into faux celebrities—the equivalent of lead actors in their own fictionalized life stories.

On Facebook, young people can fool themselves into thinking they have hundreds or thousands of “friends.” They can delete unflattering comments. They can block anyone who disagrees with them or pokes holes in their inflated self-esteem. They can choose to show the world only flattering, sexy or funny photographs of themselves (dozens of albums full, by the way), “speak” in pithy short posts and publicly connect to movie stars and professional athletes and musicians they “like.”

We must beware of the toxic psychological impact of media and technology on children, adolescents and young adults, particularly as it regards turning them into faux celebrities—the equivalent of lead actors in their own fictionalized life stories.Using Twitter, young people can pretend they are worth “following,” as though they have real-life fans, when all that is really happening is the mutual fanning of false love and false fame.

Using computer games, our sons and daughters can pretend they are Olympians, Formula 1 drivers, rock stars or sharpshooters. And while they can turn off their Wii and Xbox machines and remember they are really in dens and playrooms on side streets and in triple deckers around America, that is after their hearts have raced and heads have swelled with false pride for “being” something they are not.

On MTV and other networks, young people can see lives just like theirs portrayed on reality TV shows fueled by such incredible self-involvement and self-love that any of the “real-life” characters should really be in psychotherapy to have any chance at anything like a normal life.

These are the psychological drugs of the 21st Century and they are getting our sons and daughters very sick, indeed.

As if to keep up with the unreality of media and technology, in a dizzying paroxysm of self-aggrandizing hype, town sports leagues across the country hand out ribbons and trophies to losing teams, schools inflate grades, energy drinks in giant, colorful cans take over the soft drink market, and psychiatrists hand out Adderall like candy.

All the while, these adolescents, teens and young adults are watching a Congress that can’t control its manic, euphoric, narcissistic spending, a president that can’t see his way through to applauding genuine and extraordinary achievements in business, a society that blames mass killings on guns, not the psychotic people who wield them, and—here no surprise—a stock market that keeps rising and falling like a roller coaster as bubbles inflate and then, inevitably, burst.

That’s really the unavoidable end, by the way. False pride can never be sustained. The bubble of narcissism is always at risk of bursting. That’s why young people are higher on drugs than ever, drunker than ever, smoking more, tattooed more, pierced more and having more and more and more sex, earlier and earlier and earlier, raising babies before they can do it well, because it makes them feel special, for a while. They’re doing anything to distract themselves from the fact that they feel empty inside and unworthy.

Distractions, however, are temporary, and the truth is eternal. Watch for an epidemic of depression and suicidality, not to mention homicidality, as the real self-loathing and hatred of others that lies beneath all this narcissism rises to the surface. I see it happening and, no doubt, many of you do, too.

We had better get a plan together to combat this greatest epidemic as it takes shape. Because it will dwarf the toll of any epidemic we have ever known. And it will be the hardest to defeat. Because, by the time we see the scope and destructiveness of this enemy clearly, we will also realize, as the saying goes, that it is us.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...d-narcissists/

In other news.....Direct Tv is raising rates by 4.5% for 2013. Interesting times ahead! Can't wait.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...d-narcissists/

In other news.....Direct Tv is raising rates by 4.5% for 2013. Interesting times ahead! Can't wait.
    Not wishing to spread the gun debate here but regarding the comment, "a society that blames mass killings on guns, not the psychotic people who wield them," I'm afraid I'd be tempted to rewrite that to further demonstrate the very narcissism the article is proposing - "a society who is so use to getting what it wants, when it wants, no matter what the cost (or risk) to others..."

That’s really the unavoidable end, by the way. False pride can never be sustained. The bubble of narcissism is always at risk of bursting. That’s why young people are higher on drugs than ever, drunker than ever, smoking more, tattooed more, pierced more and having more and more and more sex, earlier and earlier and earlier, raising babies before they can do it well, because it makes them feel special, for a while. They’re doing anything to distract themselves from the fact that they feel empty inside and unworthy.

Distractions, however, are temporary, and the truth is eternal. Watch for an epidemic of depression and suicidality, not to mention homicidality, as the real self-loathing and hatred of others that lies beneath all this narcissism rises to the surface. I see it happening and, no doubt, many of you do, too.
    Scary!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i pretty much agree with everything in the article mr. clean put up. the parents of this present generation are failing and failing miserably. i see the kind of influence this shit has on my 9 year old nephew and much as i try to combat it, our society itself and the things that it has been deceived by are making it damn hard to teach children what is really important in life. it isn't found in a cell phone or on twitter or on facebook.

in my own case, as soon as this little fool made the mistake of saying "there is nothing in the world i'd rather do than play video games." i immediately unplugged the damn thing and now it is sitting in a closet where it will stay.

kids are also not being prepared to handle failure because of worries about their "self-esteem." boo fraking hoo. failure is a part of life. if you don't know how to handle it and more importantly, learn from your mistakes, how can you ever become an adult? we are raising people who are going to be perpetual children. overstimulated people with an attention span measured in nanoseconds.

the US continues to fall behind in the things that really matter in this high tech world we've unfortunately found ourselves in - Math and Science. that isn't talk or propaganda. it is the truth. if you want to know the reason why look in the mirror if you have kids between the ages of 7-15. i'm trying the best i can to show this kid that life doesn't revolve around facebook, video games, and all these other trinkets of deceit, but it is real damn hard when he's being pressured by other kids and other parents/guardians look at me like i'm the fucked up one when i tell them about my rules and way of doing things.

it's damn frustrating.
    Last edited by Mike70; 09-Jan-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    The "neo narcissist" has little to do with what the author is suggesting, which is nothing more than a rant against social media and games it seems, and everything to do with the lack of failure that children are exposed to these days. Simply put, children aren't allowed to fail in the things that they do, lest they feel "excluded", or "useless" and while on the surface that may seem like a good idea, in practice it destroys any natural competition and determination to actually better oneself, or recognise that a chosen activity is just not for you.

If little Johnny or Susie are constantly told that they are great at something, even when they literally suck at it, the writing is on the wall and I've seen it first hand with some kids that I know, that have actually had to turn to their parents and tell them that they weren't any good at something they were doing, despite all the "positivity" that was hurled their way.

Adults and their fear of exposing their little angels to natural failure in life are very much to blame for the "neo narcissist" phenomenon and not Facebook/Twitter/Bebo, which is in itself a horrid thing as far as I am concerned.

Children are remarkably resilient, they actually fail all the time from infancy and this failure teaches them determination. Watch a toddler fail, time and time again to do something, until it finally gets it right. To me that is the natural order of things and it's getting eroded in favor of a false "exclusivity" that fills young people with a false sense of achievement, and self worth and an appalling sense of self-entitlement, that inevitably gets exposed one day and sometimes to devastating effect.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm afraid I'd be tempted to rewrite that to further demonstrate the very narcissism the article is proposing - "a society who is so use to getting what it wants, when it wants, no matter what the cost (or risk) to others."
    lol I think it's funny that you can see our society in this light but not Barry(President Obama).

Administrator

England
    ^^ What is the stuff going on about getting rid of only two terms in office?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ What is the stuff going on about getting rid of only two terms in office?
    They're trying to repeal the 22nd amendment, which will abolish term limits for the presidency.
    I can't see that actually happening. But just the fact that they continuously try to do this is disturbing enough.
    If that were to actually happen, that's a HUGE leap toward tyranny. That same tyranny that the media wants everyone to believe is being imagined by paranoid constitution freaks.