Thread: Gale Anne Hurd on Mazzara's exit & possible Walking Dead movie

Administrator

England

Gale Anne Hurd on Mazzara's exit & possible Walking Dead movie

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/sci...ead-movie.html

According to producer Gale Anne Hurd, many of the storylines were already in the works before Mazzara took the job as The Walking Dead’s new showrunner, replacing its first showrunner, Frank Darabont. She admitted that the series writers had already “figured out” how to put together season three, which means the changes we thought Mazzara was responsible for were already in place. She also says that, “essentially with the series moving forward, he (Mazzara) saw Season 4 in a different light than AMC did.”

Hurd also credits the show’s reinvigorated third season to comic book creator Robert Kirkman’s vision for the TV series. Hurd explains (SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2 AHEAD):

“There are a lot of times when he goes back to the comic book and goes ‘Wow, that actually would have been an interesting thing to do.’ Keeping Shane alive in season two was something he fully supported and the change-up of having Rick kill him and then having Carl shoot the zombified Shane was also something he fully supported,” said Hurd. “In the rest of season three, there were things that I can’t talk about, but same thing, that he fully fully supported.”

The Walking Dead has improved a great deal since it premiered in 2010. Whether it just took some time to adapt the original source material to television, or if one creative force was completely responsible, will have to be left to speculation. Let’s just hope the series will keep its current pace and tone.

As for the rumored Walking Dead movie, Hurd says “Right now, seriously, we’re focused on Season 4. If there was a movie, there are so many decisions that would need to go into it. The availability of the cast and all of that,” said Hurd.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    A walking dead movie will be stupid, especially considering that Kirkman's whole point in creating the thing in the first place was because he was fed up not following characters after zombie films ended.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    A walking dead movie will be stupid, especially considering that Kirkman's whole point in creating the thing in the first place was because he was fed up not following characters after zombie films ended.
    I'm sure $$$$$$ will change his view on that!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm slightly confused by that - Mazzara took over mid-way through season two, and apparently at a point where episode 7 wasn't quite finished/ready-to-go ... so with six more episodes in the second season still left, I'm a bit surprised that they already had season three mapped out ... but I suppose it's a case of to what extent did they have it mapped out. Was it just a rough "this and that" in each episode as a layout? I suppose if it's just the general thrust of season three laid out, then it was Mazzara and co who then had to fill in all the gaps and make some tweaks along the way within an established framework.

Then again, it was during the mid-season break on season 3 that Mazzara stepped down/aside from the role as showrunner - so they must have been laying out the basic beats of season four then. So I guess it makes sense, it just surprised/confused me a little initially.

Hmmm ... interesting. It's so hard to figure out exactly what is going on behind-the-scenes on this show. As has been shown in the past we've found out something and then some other news comes out which changes the perspective, and then another bit of news changes our perspectives again.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Feb-2013 at 10:19 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I imagine they had the basic plot for seasons two, three, and four when Mazzara came on. Nothing major, just the basic spine of the plot. Before they even began writing Season Three, Kirkman was saying they planned to have the Prison/Woodbury arc last into Season Four, so that also suggests they did indeed have a structure planned.

Kirkman seems to like to plan ahead, so it's probably something like he's done with the comics. We're at 107 issues right now, but Kirkman says he's got the basic plot mapped out for over 250 issues....

As for the movie? No thanks. As shootem mentioned before, that defeats the entire purpose of TWD. I hope Kirkman won't let the money get to him and sticks to his guns. He's had movie offers before and turned them down because it was against the inspiration for the comic and later the show. Plus....what could they do with a movie? It would just be another generic zombie movie. This needs to remain on the small screen.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm sure $$$$$$ will change his view on that!
    ha ha...you're probably right.

I can see Gale Ann Hurd now..."Although Rick was a mid 30's white guy in the comic, we decided to make him an blue alien from space for the movie...

...which Kirkman fully, fully supported"
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Aaland
    I think I'd only support a movie if that was the end, and either we had a solution or everyone died. That's also when the comic ends for me too. Like walking dead's final issue then they go the movie route.

If not, just leave it as the tv greatness that it is.

Dying

United States
    If they make a movie it should be a prequel set during the initial outbreak. See each of the characters and how they dealt with the outbreak. Kind of like Darabonts idea for the Season 2 opener.

Prequel Film Set During Initial Outbreak

Would be epic. Could call it "The Rising Dead" and bring back all the characters that died or left the group.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    If they make a movie it should be a prequel set during the initial outbreak. See each of the characters and how they dealt with the outbreak. Kind of like Darabonts idea for the Season 2 opener.

Prequel Film Set During Initial Outbreak

Would be epic. Could call it "The Rising Dead" and bring back all the characters that died or left the group.
    I would watch this. No Rick so it would probably be Shane's story. Only problem, Carl is growing up too fast to play his part. Could be another group of survivors which could be cool and opens up the Walking Dead universe but it's also dipping into 'generic zombie movie' territory.