Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell HMV... farewell!

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

Farewell HMV... farewell!

HMV 1921 - 2013

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/ne...-tomorrow.html

HMV has confirmed that it is to go into administration.

Deloitte will take over the firm's 238 stores after attempts to save the troubled music retailer, which has over 4,000 employees, failed.
    Last edited by Cykotic; 14-Jan-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Administrator

England
    Another major high street retailer gone!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    so thats Play.com, Jessops and now HMV...

Who's next??

England
    It's a shame but inevitable, I don't know about you chaps but I go in HMV a lot and its rare that I ever purchase anything, I tend to browse, see things I want, then umm and arr over the price and have a look on Amazon when I get home.

United States
    That sucks. I always visited that store when I was in Southport/Liverpool....in fact I bought the Fog there last month. I still miss Woolworths!
    Last edited by Mr.G; 15-Jan-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    It's a shame but inevitable, I don't know about you chaps but I go in HMV a lot and its rare that I ever purchase anything, I tend to browse, see things I want, then umm and arr over the price and have a look on Amazon when I get home.
    aye back in uni when i had a hell of a lot more disposable income it wasnt uncommon for me to spend like £30 and walk out with 2 dvds and a cd. However online stores like Amazon and itunes have rendered that an expensive waste of time. In fact i remember seeing a gorillaz album for £15, bought it, then in class a friend said "just return it and get an itunes card for the same value" i did, got the same album for £5.99 on itunes as well as a couple of movies.
    and if someones going to Apple instead of you because its saving them money? then yeah maybe your business prospects aint looking so hot.

I mean its a shame to see yet more of the typical 90's/2000's uk high street dying off, but at this stage where the internet gives us a global market with better value for money and a far larger selection i cant say ill miss it all that much.

And personally? i think i havent actually been in a HMV in like a year, and havent made a purchase in one for 3, and then it was a superman shirt and a generic scarf because it was winter at the time

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    so thats Play.com, Jessops and now HMV...

Who's next??
    Since when were Play.com in trouble?

As for HMV - yeah, I used to go in there all the time as a student and would easily spend £50. I often bought DVDs on two-for-one deals and the like, but I also bought discs for my course - and as such once I spent £40 just on Nosferatu and Metropolis, and nowadays that's just a moronic amount to spend on a mere two movies. I've bought things in there when I've been in on occasion - but always items that were on sale - either at the same price as online, or surprisingly at a cheaper price. Most of the time I'd just browse - I liked the act of browsing in HMV - I remember we'd always rush to the massive HMV in London when we were on trips to London with our school (after we'd visited the gallery we were there to attend in the first place), and I'd just love browsing the shelves of VHS tapes (aye, back then).

However, when you've got three HMVs in Edinburgh (two of which are on the same ruddy street), you do have to wonder who is in charge and how out-of-step with the current climate they are. Like with Jessops - they're a niche store for enthusiasts, but how many people really are photography enthusiasts. Most people have a camera phone and that'll do them, and those who do spend cash on SLRs and additional lenses etc aren't doing so every month. They'll buy a camera and keep it for years, so you're not going to get much traffic - I feel as if Jessops wasn't really keeping up with current market trends, just like Woolworths where it tried to supply everything, but in the end couldn't really attract people into the store. We all felt a sense of nostalgia for Woolworths, but how often did we really go into it?

When I was a kid Woolworths was an ideal store, providing a lot of different items for good prices, but they go overtaken by an expanding and diversifying market and they failed to respond to that - and as such they shut down. Sad, but it's inevitable if you can't keep up with the wider market.

So often I've seen the prices in HMV and they're piss take high. We do need variety and competition on the high street, but you've got to be competitive in your pricing and corporate/commercial structuring as well.

A right old bugger for those who got HMV vouchers over Christmas - although hopefully they won't be scuppered for long and will be able to use them online soon. Game recently went through troubles, but it's still going, and Zavvi is online now (not sure if they still have stores though) ... although I do remember Virgin Megastore going down the drain a while back (I'd often leap frog between HMV and Virgin Megastore at Uni comparing prices, but more often than not they had the same items at the same price - what was the point of that? - the only difference was what type of sales they had on - e.g. 4-for-£30 on DVDs in Virgin Megastore, versus two-for-one on DVDs in HMV).

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Since when were Play.com in trouble?
    since they shut down the retail side of the business and are now, a marketplace

Super Moderator

UK
    since they shut down the retail side of the business and are now, a marketplace
    Play.com? They're an online retailer akin to Amazon, they've never had a physical presence on the high street, have they?

Comet was in trouble recently though, that's gone IIRC ... but it was so similar to Currys, I'm not surprised.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Play.com? They're an online retailer akin to Amazon, they've never had a physical presence on the high street, have they?
    No, thats not what i meant. On some of the orders, they would come directly from play.com themselves, not a third party...

Administrator

England
    Some of HMV's management are saying, "watch this space!" ie: The company may be saved?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Some of HMV's management are saying, "watch this space!" ie: The company may be saved?!
    Hitler said similar as the Russians advanced on his bunker...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Hitler said similar as the Russians advanced on his bunker...
    I suspect the outcome will somewhat parallel too!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    No, thats not what i meant. On some of the orders, they would come directly from play.com themselves, not a third party...
    Still confused by what you're getting at though ... I've not heard anything about Play.com being in financial trouble.

Play.com are like Amazon in that they sell a bunch of the stuff themselves, but they also have a 'marketplace' where other businesses - or indeed private individuals - can sell brand new or used products. So, for example, you might buy it for a quid cheaper from Zoverstocks (one of many marketplace businesses who are VAT registered), but then Play.com themselves might lower their own price (or Zoverstocks, for example, might increase their price, so Play.com become the lowest price once again - and therefore the default price on that particular item).

Play.com merged with Rakuten a while back, is this what you're referring to? IIRC it was around this time that Play.com got into the 'marketplace' game (akin to Amazon's Marketplace), as described above.

UK
    oh and now Blockbuster just went under too