Thread: Mama [film]

United States

Mama [film]

Just went to see this today and I liked it alot. Don't want to ruin it for anyone who plans on catching it, so I won't. But I will say I watched it in a nice digital stadium seating theater.
    del Toro does not disappoint. This is grade A creepy, but with a little fun thrown in there from time to time. I saw it in a packed house, and you could hear a mouse fart when they even hinted Mama was going to make an appearance.
    I didn't hear any grumbling on the way out.

One thing: There was a part where there is this vagina shaped hole on the wall in the closet, all corroded and bleedy.
    I said, "Wow, look at that bleeding vagina on the wall!"
    My kid replied, "Matt Damon? Where?!?"
    Gotta love that. Chip off the old blockeroo.

Check it out. Mama was pretty badass.

United States
    Your kid is great!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Del Toro's name serves as less of a recommendation than a warning, IMO. Wildly overrated filmmaker.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Del Toro's name serves as less of a recommendation than a warning, IMO. Wildly overrated filmmaker.
    Sub in Tarantino's name, and it sounds just like me...

Hey, it did get the number one spot last weekend. Nobody see it yet?

United States
    saw it last night. Aside from the crap ending (all horror movies have crap endings now) I quite liked it. I was totally invested until they actually Showed Mama. . . .then it kinda went downhill for me

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    saw it last night. Aside from the crap ending (all horror movies have crap endings now) I quite liked it. I was totally invested until they actually Showed Mama. . . .then it kinda went downhill for me
    The only thing I could think when they showed her was who would've banged that football headed freak in the first place for her to get preggers.
    Are you saying the FX on her were crap, or just her in general?

United States
    I dunno. . .the FX had a lot to do with it I think. It was fine when we are seeing just a form in the darkness. . . but when the full reveal happens. . . .meh. Creepy, but. . meh.

United States
    Good movie... crap ending. It felt like one of those movies where the lead actor dies in real life so they had to find a way to end with footage they already had. If you want to see something similar where the end doesn't leave you feeling rubbed raw I would suggest the Possession. They came out I want to say at similar times and the bugs are similar but at the end of the Possession you wont feel had.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I dunno. . .the FX had a lot to do with it I think. It was fine when we are seeing just a form in the darkness. . . but when the full reveal happens. . . .meh. Creepy, but. . meh.
    Finally saw Mama on cable this month, and absolutely hated it so much that I stopped watching the first time around ( hint, it was near to the end of the film. ). Damn clicking purring parody of an asian ghost movie. Later on I settled down and gave it another chance from the beginning. It's a sad commentary when the feral kid thread is far more scarier than the spook itself. The one other item that kept Mama alive ( as a movie. ) was the refreshingly anti-heroic mother figure played by Jessica Chastain.
    Mama's half of a good film, with the supernatural stuff too derivative, and too late to provide anything but one (maybe two. ) really good Boo moments.

Wayne Z

United States
    Huh. Don't get the hate. I thought it was a creepy & effective one. I heart ghost flicks though. The last act flew off the rails a little. And THE end was damn sad. I enjoyed it overall though.