Thread: Why You Always Wake Up Early After a Night of Drinking

United States

Why You Always Wake Up Early After a Night of Drinking

Pretty good article if there is any truth to it....

The article caught my eye because I've went and visited family before....ended the night getting pretty trashed with my brother and waking up and being quite active with only about 3 hours of sleep.

http://io9.com/5980281/why-you-alway...=recirculation

Lots of people have a little booze before bed to help them get to sleep — but while a night cap may help in the dozing-off department, too much alcohol can actually do a number on the overall quality of your shuteye. Let's take a look at some of the important differences between drunk sleep and sober sleep, including why it's so damn hard to sleep in after a tipple-tastic night on the town. Dosage

Most people assume correctly that liquor and beer can actually get your eyelids feeling downright leaden, as anyone who's had a taste of alcohol has surely experienced its sleep-promoting qualities. The ethanol in your intoxicant of choice acts as a sedative, and for most people one drink is enough to feel its effects. There's even evidence that capping your intake at one brew, cocktail, or glass of grapes — what most researchers deem a "low dose" of alcohol — can actually up your total sleep time, while decreasing the number of instances you wake during the night.

Full size

Speaking of which, it's important to remember the "one drink" limit is really just a rule of thumb. Drink-ceilings vary from person to person. Plus, a single drink can have different effects even on the same individual — depending, for example, on what he or she's eaten that day. For a better idea of what your one-drink limit is, try out these handy calculators, courtesy of the NIH. Anyway, if you plan on downing more than one drink, you're looking at some pretty serious bedtime disturbance. In fact, even a single-cocktail nightcap can have an undesired effect on your sleep cycle if you make a habit of it. According to Timothy Roehrs and Thomas Roth — director of research and division head, respectively, of the Sleep Disorders and Research Center in Detroit, MI — the scientific literature shows that among nonalcoholics, the occasional use of alcohol as a sleep aid can improve sleep initially, but that people tend to develop a tolerance for its effects pretty quickly. As tolerance increases, so does your alcohol-intake, and then you're looking at more serious problems than an inability to get to catch some truly restful winks. Like, you know, a raging case of alcoholism.
    The Rebound Effect

But even moderate alcohol consumption can ruin a good night's sleep. According to Roehrs and Roth, a modest dose of alcohol (defined as inducing a Blood Alcohol Content in the range of 0.06–0.08) within an hour of bedtime may knock you right out — but it'll exact a serious toll on your body during the second half of your normal sleep period, during what's called a "rebound effect" (emphasis added):
    The term "rebound effect" means that certain physiological variables (e.g., sleep variables, such as the amount of REM sleep) change in the opposite direction to the changes induced by alcohol and even exceed normal levels once alcohol is eliminated from the body. This effect results from the body's adjustment to the presence of alcohol during the first half of the sleep period in an effort to maintain a normal sleep pattern. Once alcohol is eliminated from the body, however, these adjustments result in sleep disruption.
    Given that the average person metabolizes alcohol at a rate of around 0.01% to 0.02% per hour, a person with a BAC in the range of 0.06—0.08 immediately before dozing off will finish processing the sauce in his or her system after about four or five hours. Ever woken up bright and early after a rowdy bout of late-night/early-morning boozing? Now you know why: the clearance of alcohol from your body probably triggered a rebound effect, ripping you right out of the deepest period of your sleep cycle.

Full size

"Your deep sleep is when body restores itself, and alcohol can interfere with this," says John Shneerson, head of Papworth Hospital's Resipiratory Support & Sleep Center, the largest sleep facility in the UK.
    "As the alcohol starts to wear off, your body can come out of deep sleep and back into REM sleep, which is much easier to wake from. That's why you often wake up after just a few hours sleep when you've been drinking."
    So how best to ensure a restful night's sleep? Try to time it so that most of the alcohol in your system has been metabolized before you hit the hay. If you're on the cusp of being good to drive (i.e. right around a BAC of 0.08 — true for all 50 states and D.C. as of January, 2013), you'll want to quit hitting the sauce no less than four hours before bedtime. Easier in theory than in practice, we know, but at least now you know the rules your body is playing by.

For tons more info on alcohol's effects on sleep, check out this exhaustive overview at The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

Ireland
    Always?

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    I usually don't 'rebound' after a night of heavy drinking, though Ive been known to dribble.

Seriously, I will wake up early, but it's always with a physical sense of wrongness and I'm unable to be of any good to anyone, or anything for quite some time after I get up (half a day, I'd guess is the usual). To be fair, though, I've not built up a major tolerance for it, and I don't drink much these days. Maybe one to three times a year I'll get more than a buzz nowadays. Last time I was drunk, and boy was I drunk, was last St. Patrick's Day.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    I've certainly noticed that if I just have a single drink around about happy hour, I'm more likely to get a better-than-average night's kip - a deeper sleep with fewer interruptions.

Now, times when I've had a few and I'm slurring and - between the age of 17 and 20, falling off any chair I was on - I've always had a rubbish night's kip. You're very ready for bed, but I can never drop off to sleep, I just doze for most of the night with a couple of snatched hours here or there, and inevitably I will get up either at the same time as usual, or a bit earlier - but not feel too exhausted - in-need of more sleep, yes, but not capable of getting that sleep until the following night.

Reminds me of the first time I got plastered - at a friend's birthday house party, in the deepest depths of December, I was 17 and a mate made me a pint of snake bite (or their version of it anyway) ... well, being rather naive, I downed it and funnily enough it was like in a cartoon - a freight train of drunken-ness hit. One moment feeling normal, the next weaving around like a weeble-wobble screaming "Homer Simpson's in the shower!", crawling on the floor, slurring and dribbling and the usual drunken behaviour ... but, being 17, you inevitably heave that all up and even though I slept inside a car from the 1980s (i.e. rubbish at keeping any heat in it), my toes all numb from the cold, I woke up at 7am and felt pretty damn fresh. Two slices of toast and a glass of water and I was feeling capable of running a marathon.

Nowadays I feel rough during the morning and am then back to normal (aside from the effects of missing sleep from the night before) after lunch when I've got enough in the old gut to make the body forget about the pints.

Although, like Aces, I've got a pretty low tolerance for the stuff and don't drink much at all. I used to be up for getting pissed, but then I got fed up with feeling rubbish the next day, as well as the queasy head-spinning time you get after the initial fun part of getting sloppy drunk. I'd prefer to get a buzz on, dim the eyelids by a quarter, and balance out with a pint of coke, and then water back at home - you're fairly straight-headed by bed time then. Just what I did on New Year's recently - but of course the two mile walk home helped crank some of that Strongbow out of my system. Walking half of that in pitch blackness was fun ... and half of that I was texting, so essentially blind to everything beyond the isolated light of my phone's screen. Anyway ... yep ... science.

United States
    Natures way of saying "Get off your ass, slacker! You can sleep when you're dead! You've got more drinkin' to do!"

United States
    Not me. I'm not worth a poo for at least about two days anymore.
    And it takes a heckuva lot more than a few drinkies to stop the hamster wheel from spinning, which is why I'm better off not even touching the stuff.
    Puff, puff, pass.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Puff, puff, pass.
    To the left, I hope?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    To the left, I hope?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    You know what's kinda weird ... when I was a kid, that song was on party mix tapes for children's parties and such like. I remember hearing that song so many times in my youngest years in the 1980s and you never knew they were singing about passing a joint.

Ireland
    I remember it being explained away as being a cooking pot of some description.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    To the left, I hope?
    To myself, usually. I'm a greedy bastard.

England
    I slept for 20 hours Saturday after a nights drinking...I was horribly mashed.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon