Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: XBox One [console]

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    They pushed the whole thing as "all your living room devices in one" with few videogames
    So is it an all out media player too? That's what WiiU should have been with its special tablet controller!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So is it an all out media player too? That's what WiiU should have been with its special tablet controller!
    So far it seems to be a tv remote with alt tabbing and windows movie maker and occasionally a casual videogame or two.

-also, its "seamless switching to live tv"? US only and requiring an additional device to be bought and connected.

What a goddamn blunder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Oh yeah, no transferable XBL games, either.

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox...ome_latest_art
    Is this some uwe boll style "if it bombs i make mad bank on tax loopoles" deal? because this is sounding like the worst console this century!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    They pushed the whole thing as "all your living room devices in one"
    Which is funny, because I already own one of those. It's called a PC.

United States
    yeah, i'm about 99% sure that i'm sticking with the current gen for the foreseeable future, and if i do move on, it sure as hell won't be to the xbox one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    welp, not only do you need to pay a second fee to play a preowned game but - http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-requ...ay-o-509164109 - you do need to keep connecting it to online at least once every 24 hours.

I can safetly say the idiots who buy this console are the cancer killing videogames.

worst part is xbros are already venomously defending thier princess from "the hating trolls who cant see this is the future"

Administrator

England
    What does this unit actually bring to the market that improves things? OK, a more powerful CPU, GPU, and new Kinect, but what else?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    So on one hand you've got "Xbros" and on the other you've got Danny ... you've been on a right old mission in the last 18 hours.

Stock Markets don't like uncertainty - and this total uncertainty over requiring a connection (and other issues) is just idiotic - how are they not able to answer a simple ruddy question? There are millions of Xboxers who play in places that can't get a connection, or are in a situation where that's not possible in that specific location (such as myself). That article suggests once every 24 hours, but then an update says it's "one possible scenario" - for gawd's sake MS, have a definitive answer already!

I'm not doomsaying about this console, but I'm not chest-bumping over it either - what really strikes me is the utter inability to answer simple bloody questions, such as the above about whether you're connected or not for a simple every day single player experience. There's a lot of fluff surrounding the core questions that remain to be definitively answered - yeah, SOME people will benefit from some or all of these fancy farty little techy features, but they're beyond the scope of the ultimate purpose of the Xbox - to play games - it's all distraction from the basic functions and questions that everyone's got. I'm not coming down on some of those features as I'm sure some of these functions will become second-nature in the future, but I'm not amped about watching Star Trek while receiving a Skype call ... and what a moronic way to consume media anyway - you're never paying attention to anything.

When I play a game - I play a game. When I watch a movie - I watch a movie. When I go online - I go online, and from a PC (with those handy tools known as a keyboard and a mouse).

So there's some good stuff in there and a few snippets of things to look forward to (such as Remedy's "Quantum Break"), but it seems the real meat is still to come (E3 etc).

Not a total disaster of a launch by any means, and not really a disaster in general, but it left numerous things to be desired - there was a sense of 'corporate disconnect'.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm really surprised about it not being backwards compatible. That's what kills it for me. I've wanted an XBox360 for some of the games that I've missed, like Fable 2 and 3. Thought about getting this one and get ahold of some new titles as well. But now? Fuck it. Fuck this.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm really surprised about it not being backwards compatible. That's what kills it for me. I've wanted an XBox360 for some of the games that I've missed, like Fable 2 and 3. Thought about getting this one and get ahold of some new titles as well. But now? Fuck it. Fuck this.
    They probably boil it down to numbers - those with Xbox 360s won't toss them out, so if they want to play an old game (that they either already own, or have bought new or used in a cheap sale), they've already got their 360 to play it on - meanwhile those buying-in to the Xbox for the first time will be more likely to be more interested in looking forward than back (albeit, there will be people who would want to play some current/previous gen games) - there probably wouldn't be enough people who would do that (and for a long enough time - inevitably they'd let the older games pass by into the ether - most, including me, can't keep up with all the new games, let alone the old ones we've already played, or would have wanted to play at some point).

It's strange that the more advanced the tech gets, the less compatible it is with older stuff - there'll be reasons why, but it does seem strange that you can't just have some sort of emulating technology (I'm being a total layman here) that could handle older games ... because one benefit would be you could buy into a new generation, but also have a vast library of established titles, including some big name releases on the current gen such as GTA V.

It's certainly not a deal breaker for me - the biggest issue for me is this 'connectivity' stuff for oft-stated reasons why it's decidedly problematic for me. If in the end I will be able to do what I do now - as I do it now - then I'd buy-in to the Xbox One in the future (I got into the 360 after 18 months) ... but it seems ridiculous that I don't have an answer from MS to my simple question.

United States
    Mark my words right now - the Xbox 360 will be the Windows XP of the gaming consoles. 12 years later, people will be refusing to upgrade as their 360 will be sufficient enough and they don't want nor need these new 'upgrades' (if you ask me, they're downgrades).

This is supposed to be a GAME console. If I wanted to watch movies or whatever, I'll do it on my BluRay, DVD player, or stream it through Netflix. I don't need all this extra garbage clogging up my gaming console.

Bottom line is this: Microsoft just removed themselves from the gaming console competition unless Sony makes the same mistakes. I doubt they will, but you never know. If they don't, I will be investing in the next gen Playstation. And this is coming from someone who flat-out abhors Sony. Either that or I'll stick with my PC games, but there is no way in hell I'll invest in this atrocity.

F*k Microsoft and their Xbox One. I hope they enjoyed the ride while it was going on, because this will send their business straight into the shitter.

I can't imagine anyone being excited about this.

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, it's funny how a lot of the horrible rumors about the new Xbox were somewhat at least grounded in fact...

Internet Required

Always-on...or close enough to annoy people

No game-sharing

Pay for pre-owned play

Kinnect required

Live TV not available at launch...>.>

No backwards compatibility, which isn't that bad till you realize it includes Live Arcade purchases, as well.

All I have to say is...I'm not a very discriminating consumer with regards to a lot of these console related considerations, but even I will wait and see and comparison shop against Sony, and even then may just remove myself from consoles entirely for this generation.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I hope they enjoyed the ride while it was going on, because this will send their business straight into the shitter. I can't imagine anyone being excited about this.
    Sony.

Administrator

England
    And the PS4 isn't restricting sharing games and buying/using second-hand games?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And the PS4 isn't restricting sharing games and buying/using second-hand games?
    Not sure - but the PS4 will also not be doing backwards compatibility.

"More questions than answers", "complicated", "rules and possibilities", "uncertainty and confusion" and "extraneous fluff" would be my general reaction. There's stuff I like, there's stuff I dislike, and there's stuff which I have either zero interest in, or has zero impact upon me personally. I would have liked the reveal to be more 'gamer-centric' than 'business-centric'.

Proclamations of doom and disaster ... I don't buy that (same goes for "I'm leaving the next gen" ... we'll see about that in due course ) - that's going too far in my view. We'll all have to wait and see ... for one thing, we know next-to-bugger-all about the PS4, warts and all.

Gone are the days of lending your mate a game to try out though - if you take a game to a mate's house to play on their console, YOU have to sign into YOUR account on THEIR machine in order to make it work. All games must be installed on the 500gb hard-drive, so your mate will have it on their console, but if they want to play it once you've pissed off home for dinner, they'll have to PAY FULL RETAIL (or pinch your login info ) ... so the old days of trading games with mates is long gone then.

A few years ago a mate of mine bought a 360 and I took some of my games over to show him what sort of things he might like to buy - and you know what - he bought his own copy of more than one of the games I showed him afterwards.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I can't imagine anyone being excited about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Sony.

ZING! +1, Rancid... +1 indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Proclamations of doom and disaster ... I don't buy that (same goes for "I'm leaving the next gen" ... we'll see about that in due course ) - that's going too far in my view. We'll all have to wait and see ... for one thing, we know next-to-bugger-all about the PS4, warts and all.
    I don't know about leaving the 'next gen' all together (hence why I said I would go Sony, even though I HATE that company, but that all depends on if they pull this same 'always on' shit as MS), but leaving Microsoft and the Xbox for the next gen? Simple. And I will, as will many others..

Never underestimate the general public, they'll turn your back on you in a heartbeat, even if it's not the right decision.