Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: XBox One [console]

Super Moderator

UK

Sneaky bastard.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I don't know about leaving the 'next gen' all together (hence why I said I would go Sony, even though I HATE that company, but that all depends on if they pull this same 'always on' shit as MS), but leaving Microsoft and the Xbox for the next gen? Simple. And I will, as will many others..

Never underestimate the general public, they'll turn your back on you in a heartbeat, even if it's not the right decision.
    Bingo.

I was interested in getting a new Xbox, even though I am more of a PC man meself. But the shite that's being put out with this thing has totally put me off. I WILL NOT be getting one, end of. If Sony play their cards right, then they will reap the rewards. People will just switch. There's little difference in the existing platforms anyway, quality wise, so I cannot imagine that there will be much difference in the next gen series either.

I STILL cannot believe how bloody stupid these decisions are. It really is amazing. The "Always On" bullshit alone is a massive deal breaker for many, many people. Not out of principle, but practicality. In one fell swoop, MS have seriously damaged their profit margin. It's incredible.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I STILL cannot believe how bloody stupid these decisions are. It really is amazing. The "Always On" bullshit alone is a massive deal breaker for many, many people. Not out of principle, but practicality. In one fell swoop, MS have seriously damaged their profit margin. It's incredible.
    What's your thinking behind this? Who these days hasn't got internet access?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Loads of people. Either none whatsoever, or only dial up, or rather slow broadband (my connection is rated "F" compared to the rest of the UK), and WiFi is a whole other issue (for example, we don't have it whatsoever) - plus there's even practical concerns like your internet might come into one room, but your console could be in a totally different room on a different floor on a different end of the house (such as it is with me) ... there's also things like military bases where they don't have the net where they have their console set up, so yeah, LOADS of people either don't have the web or don't have just the right set-up.

It all seems rather unclear though - one MS guy says one thing, but then minutes later another contradicts him - it's as if they haven't decided on these simple and obvious issues before launching the console in the public eye ... which is just stupid.

Apparently it's not "always on", but does require a connection every 24 hours, but then another person said that was only "one possibility" - but then that's all we get - FFS, why can't they just give a definitive ruddy answer?

Ireland
    I personally know several people that don't have net access, except in work.

Also, in many places in the world, connection and speeds are rubbish. Rural areas suffer particularly from this. My wifes sister lives in a country area and her net is diabolical. It's like an old 56k connection.

The "always on" thing is an incredibly small minded pursuit by Microsoft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

It all seems rather unclear though - one MS guy says one thing, but then minutes later another contradicts him - it's as if they haven't decided on these simple and obvious issues before launching the console in the public eye ... which is just stupid.

Apparently it's not "always on", but does require a connection every 24 hours, but then another person said that was only "one possibility" - but then that's all we get - FFS, why can't they just give a definitive ruddy answer?
    Because they know what a monumental f*ck up the whole thing is. So, obfuscation is the order of the day.

I've heard that games (or games access) are stored on the cloud (in other words you can't start a game unless connected), so the console needs to be connected for that and it performs a "check" every day, so a connection is needed for that as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Sony are getting my shillings, presuming they don't bugger it up as well.

TBH, I'd like to see consoles die altogether and then we can get back to enjoying adult PC games.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    At our new vacation house in West Virginia, we can't get internet access and we are about 6-7 miles outside of one of the biggest WV cities. Considering our place is in a fairly populated neighborhood, it leads me to believe there are quite a few people out there who can't get it even if they wanted to.

What I don't understand about all of this crap is, isn't the xbox supposed to be a GAMING system? Why can't MS keep their gaming stuff and all the rest of the bells and whistles separate? I never, ever wanted my xbox to be my "media center" - it was bought to play games, period. I don't mind the whole netflix and youtube access and all, but why the hell would anyone ever want an xbox to be their "all-in-one entertainment center"? I mean, really? There's WAY better options for an all-in-one media center than an Xbox.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 23-May-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: F this reason for editing.

Administrator

England
    OK! I can see where you guys are coming from now!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Its not that "lots of people dont have the internet" thats the problem, its that it requires it for everything. Even single player games.

Say a new red dead game came out, you buy it and leave on your shelf for a rainy day when suddenly the internet goes down. Cant play anything online or browse the internet, so maybe youll finally get around to that new red dead game.

oh.

wait.

See the problem here? They took an inch with charging us to use our own internet connections on the 360, now after we gave them that they take a mile and say "f*ck you consumer, this is our console you are just renting the privilege to use it and WE say what you can play on it and when at OUR say so otherwise its a brick".

Its beyond arrogant big brother tactics you would assume to see from some facist government in an 80's sci fi flick. this is a f*cking videogame console thats "all in one".

Trouble is thats putting all your shit in one box under their control.

Again, anyone who buys this is a f*cking fool.
    Last edited by Danny; 23-May-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: df

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't know anyone who doesn't have internet.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ... it requires it for everything. Even single player games.
    I think this is the biggest screwup in regards to the XB1. Single player requiring internet connection?

Puh-lease.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...u-for-the-mpaa

So they just filed a patent for the kinect 2 where it watches you when you load up a movie and if kinect detects too many people it charges your live account card for additional copies of the film or reports you to the mpaa.

blunder. of. the. century.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...u-for-the-mpaa

So they just filed a patent for the kinect 2 where it watches you when you load up a movie and if kinect detects too many people it charges your live account card for additional copies of the film or reports you to the mpaa.
    WHAT?!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    WHAT?!

Exactly my response. Seems like some sort of distortion of the situation, however I can't rule anything out by Microsoft.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    So let me guess, the code name for the Xbox One was "Skynet" wasn't it?

UK
    Disturbing rumours on Eurogamer:

Anyone buying that second-hand game will need to pay an activation fee of £35
    shops could be forced to sell second-hand games at a maximum discount of 10 per cent.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ork-apparently

Surely this can't be right, could it???