Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: XBox One [console]

Administrator

England
    That's scary and will utterly kill the second hand market!

That said, it's sort of the way some of it is going. I buy all my games (well most) through Steam. I can't sell/lend those!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ork-apparently

£35 to unlock preowned games. While that at least means games will still be attainable after they leave shelves - particularly if theres a small release for a game, but still if you get a game preowned for like £19.99, the common preowned price for triple a titles that can maintain sales long after its release, and then pay £35? thats like 85 dollars for a preowned game for american posters.

Sure you could get a game like a dollar or something years later if its not like gta or something and they hike it back up for 20 every time a new ones on the way because "lol sequel tax" but you are still paying almost full price for a game, more actually if you go to a shop like asda or wall mart and get it for below the gamestore price.

Now i know the other shit pissed me off, and with good reason. This just seems a strange move. Are they trying to dissuade used games sales? or just make more money because of them? Its difficult to say what exactly they hope to gain from this one because im hard pressed to think of a situation where i found get like a "4 games for £20" deal from gamestation and then be willing to give up a further £140 just to be able to play those 4 games. I guess they think people will be more urged to buy something new because that would be like a different deal, but honestly it pretty much works out to cost the same as the new game, but its not garuanteed to be in good condition.
    So why buy preowned at all if its not a price on savings?

Well i dont know about you but that only leaves finding obscure games that you missed a few years back that you can no longer find brand new as the only reason. But then i could just go to some site like amazon or play asia or something to find a sealed copy cheap which in the long run is just harming your local game retailers and nobody else.

Which, when you think about it, is exactly the same situation as right now.

Ireland
    What happens then if Sony continue with the current 2nd hand games situation? Would that mean pressure from publishers to get them to toe the line with the MS way? Or will they just say fu*k you and carry on and where will that lead? It's a strange situation.

It seems that this thing has adapted a lot of bad things and doesn't seem to offer anything that's worth handing over 100's of Euros for.

I actually cannot see any reason to fork out for one.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Well the long and short of it is all these things there are pushing are things from the pc because they want greater windows 8 interconnectivity. Which just makes the consumer think "if i want that ill buy a gaming pc"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    What happens then if Sony continue with the current 2nd hand games situation? Would that mean pressure from publishers to get them to toe the line with the MS way? Or will they just say fu*k you and carry on and where will that lead? It's a strange situation.

It seems that this thing has adapted a lot of bad things and doesn't seem to offer anything that's worth handing over 100's of Euros for.

I actually cannot see any reason to fork out for one.
    Indeed, if Sony allow the second hand market to continue, and given the PS4 is more powerful, it could appeal to a lot of folks!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Indeed, if Sony allow the second hand market to continue, and given the PS4 is more powerful, it could appeal to a lot of folks!
    Still needs a selling point though. I mean a lot of folks this gen, myself included hated the ps3 because it had shit all games, the last 2 years have turned that around with it far outdoing the 360 in new ip exclusives. Hopefully sony learned that you should start that strong, not end that way.

Personally i feel the last of us and beyond: two souls should have been held as launch titles. That and industry rumour suggests they are really throwing money at konami to keep metal gear solid 5 a sony exclusive.

Administrator

England
    But the PS4 has moved hardware so it will be easier for developers to port to it from PC/Xbox.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    But the PS4 has moved hardware so it will be easier for developers to port to it from PC/Xbox.
    True, but its all up to sony learning its lesson from last gen or not. They came out late with not enough games, poor online security and a psn that at the time was a really shitty xbla imitation. They have the potential to come out swinging, but after the wii U and xbox one reveals im cautiously optimistic at best.

Super Moderator

UK
    I do wonder - what with all these contradictory statements from inside MS, and all the general confusion and befuddlement over any question that gamers and the gaming industry actually WANT answers to - if MS has chucked all these possibilities in to test the water and see how they fly. If they can get away with it, it stays, but if the market says "sod that you cheeky bastards" and starts gripping tightly onto their money, then MS would (surely?!) cast some of these idiotic ideas out the window ... ... that's what I'd hope for at this stage ... ... but the fact that they thought these ideas were good enough to even attempt to get by the consumer just shows a real corporate ignorance of their consumers.

Everytime they try to explain something I'm just like "waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too complicated ... my brain hurts" ... ... as well as thinking "the stupid. it burns!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Is9YJ...v-achievements

achievements for watching adverts?

I think this is the biggest troll in history. it HAS to be..

England
    One of my work colleagues pre ordered his Xbox today, £600!!!!!! I can see that causing some disappointment at Christmas when kids start demanding one that their parents can't afford!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    One of my work colleagues pre ordered his Xbox today, £600!!!!!! I can see that causing some disappointment at Christmas when kids start demanding one that their parents can't afford!
    HOW MUCH???!!!

*oh my, the vapours...*

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I think that's probably a placeholder price. Retailers want to allow Xbox superfans to pre-order the console, but don't know how much to charge for it, as the retail price has not yet been announced. So they sell it at a price that they expect to be higher than the final price, by a safe margin of £100-£200, then refund whatever the difference is back to the consumer when the console is shipped. It's less hassle for the retailer than trying to guesstimate the price, then having to chase customers for an extra £50 or £100 when the cost fluctuates in the run-up to release.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 30-May-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    As Kraken says, those are at place holder prices I believe. ie: They'll drop down to the actual price close to release.
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Even so, if it drops by £100 it's still far, far more than any parent on an average income is going to want to spend so little Johnny has a big smiley face at Christmas, except they'll feel they have to. It's fine for someone working who wants to spend that on themselves if they have the money, but my parents winced at the prospect of spending £100 on a Megadrive for me when I was 11, never mind the best part of a months wages!