Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: XBox One [console]

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sorry, so this means to play online with people you don't have to pay on the PS4? ie: You need to pay for XBox Live on the XBox?

And with DRM, you can just give/sell second hand discs with the PS4 and not pay unlike the XBox One?

This is going to sway a lot of people, especially as the two bits of hardware are so similar now, with the PS4 if anything being more powerful!?
    Well you don't pay for online on the ps3 so thats really just the same thing, same with the no drm really. It's really just sony choosing to stay the same like nintendo. Its kind of why ms's whole deal is annoying people. Its doing things to similar to a pc, but people play consoles for a simpler experience and otherwise folks would just buy a pc. I mean its all rumours but if even EA is removing all its online pass drm from games we can't really do much but wait and see and hope at this point because personally if xbox AND ps3 both pull this shit? thats really pushing me away from both.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Apparently one of their marketing slogans on an e3 banner reads "all in one, input one".

I know where they can input one as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah i saw that, my first reaction was "what the hell does that even mean"?

Super Moderator

UK
    Sheesh. They really seem determined to throw it all away, don't they? Who on earth is in charge of all this, and why haven't they been fired already? Geeeeeez...

Ireland
    Ownership is so last gen
    Ha ha...f*ck off.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Of course, there is one benefit of DRM, which will appeal to a lot of people! No need to hunt around and swap the disc in the console. Just like the PC, it's fully installed so just click and play any of your games!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Of course, there is one benefit of DRM, which will appeal to a lot of people! No need to hunt around and swap the disc in the console. Just like the PC, it's fully installed so just click and play any of your games!
    er, actually you still need the discs in the machine for a none digital purchase even though its installed.

Ireland
    I've never seen that as any kind of real benefit. Do people really have that much trouble minding their flipping discs? It isn't that hard. Christ, I still have Dos disks.

[ahem] fixed exe [/ahem]

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    er, actually you still need the discs in the machine for a none digital purchase even though its installed.
    Not true:
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
    Quit spreading FUD

Administrator

England
    ^^ So I'm right? You don't need to find the appropriate disc and put it in the unit? That's good then!

I know if I had to put a disc in for my PC games it would do my head in! Far better if you don't!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    So why on earth couldn't they do this with the xbox? or is it another facet of their current pc style drm i wonder.

Super Moderator

UK
    When I play a game, I have the game right by the console or PC. When I'm not playing it, it's stored safely on a shelf or in a box and I know exactly where it is - how is it hard to do that? Even on a game where I needed to have the disc in on the PC (e.g. Fallout 3 or Crysis or something), on the rare occasion I forgot to put it in, it alerted me, I stuck the disc in, and I lost what, 20 seconds or gaming time?

Yeah, intrusive, clunky, and unwanted DRM is a real life-saver.

Ireland
    You're in my gang.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    When I play a game, I have the game right by the console or PC. When I'm not playing it, it's stored safely on a shelf or in a box and I know exactly where it is - how is it hard to do that? Even on a game where I needed to have the disc in on the PC (e.g. Fallout 3 or Crysis or something), on the rare occasion I forgot to put it in, it alerted me, I stuck the disc in, and I lost what, 20 seconds or gaming time?

Yeah, intrusive, clunky, and unwanted DRM is a real life-saver.
    You see how it's happening, right?
    This is all coming down to an all out console war of ideologies. MS is gonna give incentive to game makers for them to make games that are exclusive to the xbone. So the game makers that want to use DRM to maximize profits are gonna do it. Then there's gonna be game makers that want to appeal to the people that don't want the intrusion of the xbone and DRM, so they're gonna go with the PS4.
    But there's gonna be little "benefits" coming along that appeal to people, like not having to put the game in the drive to play it, or saves and authorizations stored in the cloud that allow you to play on a different console.
    So people are gonna do it. Because they don't understand the implications of intrusive DRM or are just flat out not aware of it when they buy the console, or because they want a game that is exclusive to the xbone. Some just won't care because they're blinded by the shiny new toy.
    Eventually, the people that resist out of principle or for specific issues with DRM will get fewer and fewer. Then it's over for everyone.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Microsofts boss responded to sony: "Can't go online? buy a 360" superb...

Ireland
    Bill?

UK
    Looks like MS is starting to back pedal, or at least giving themselves space to do so in the coming weeks...

"We always knew that our story would play out over time. And even now, I would say, this isn't a sprint"
    http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-...print-6409849/