Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XBox One [console]

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

XBox One [console]

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/
    ALWAYS ONLINE - You must always be connected to the internet to verify your game licenses or you cannot play them at all
    NO SECOND HAND GAMES - Each game will have a unique identifier that forever locks it to your xbox live account. you can never trade it in and never buy a preowned game for a price below new.
    A NEW -MANDATORY- KINECT - You must always have a facial recognising camera so you cannot even have friends play on your console.

I really, really hope these "industry leaks" coming out for the new xbox are wrong, because this is beyond big brother levels of obscenity. If this IS legitimate? Yeah, i think we all know the loser of the next console gen.

Us.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/
    ALWAYS ONLINE - You must always be connected to the internet to verify your game licenses or you cannot play them at all
    NO SECOND HAND GAMES - Each game will have a unique identifier that forever locks it to your xbox live account. you can never trade it in and never buy a preowned game for a price below new.
    A NEW -MANDATORY- KINECT - You must always have a facial recognising camera so you cannot even have friends play on your console.

I really, really hope these "industry leaks" coming out for the new xbox are wrong, because this is beyond big brother levels of obscenity. If this IS legitimate? Yeah, i think we all know the loser of the next console gen.

Us.
    I dearly hope that's all nonsense and totally false, because as you say, IF it IS true, then good lord, are they deliberately trying to crash themselves into a wall?

Always Online is simply moronic - there are millions of people like me whose broadband connections are piss weak compared to national and global averages (mine is rated "F" for crying out loud), and there's millions more who don't even get broadband - people who are still operating under dial up speeds! Plus the wireless network is pants - the limit in my house is measured in centimetres basically. Besides, the "always on" thing is just stupid - Ubisoft discovered that with Assassin's Creed II on the PC - if your connection goes down, you get booted from your game, and what about saving your progress? If your save is "in the cloud" you'd lose progress too.

Kinect is horseshit too - I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to be anywhere near a Kinect, let alone play with one. It's a stupid idea invented by stupid people who are trying to force "fun and casual" kiddy experiences to a console that doesn't really obtain that sort of a market. Do what you do well, don't water down what you do well with rubbish that you don't do well, and that other people did well for a brief spell with a market that mostly got bored of the tech very quickly (the sorts of casual gamers/normies who ran off and got a Wii, played it for a few weeks, and then left it to collect dust).

Second Hand Games - if true, there goes an entire retail sector, and you know what, there goes sales of brand new games, and certainly the number of sales of brand new games at TOP prices.

If this stuff is true, it's totally taking the mick ... but I do hope that it's rubbish put out there by PS3/4 fanboys seeking to grief the webtubes in the lead-up to the Sony announcement on Feb 20th or whenever it is.

Administrator

England
    (1) Sounds believable, to cut down on Piracy?
    (2) Sounds believable, but unlikely... IMHO.
    (3) Sound rediculous!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States

XBox, Simon says...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm all over this one. Maybe...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Playstation will clean up.

Who's running these f*ckin departments?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    if these rumors are true, i may just stick to the xbox 360 and sit this generation out. i've got at least a handful of games i've not beat on it yet, and state of decay and gta5 will both be out this year, so there's loads of value left in my current console.

no thanks at all for the "always-online, no secondhand games, and facial recognition" features of a new console. each feature alone would be enough reason for me to pass, but all three makes for a trifecta of bullshit i don't want to deal with to at all just to play a game.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I think i'll stick to the 360 or jump to sony

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    HA!

So after being the ones to introduce the idea in the first place, sony are now saying "we are completely against blocking the customer from preowned games, they still need to buy our console to play them, and to be preowned we must have already gotten the sale from the unit so its fine".

I think sony learnt from ms this gen about getting information out and damage controlling fast.

Whatever happens this gens "cunsul wurz" is going to be very interesting indeed by the looks of it.

Super Moderator

UK
    That statement from Sony surprisingly sums it up perfectly.

Also, just think about how wasteful it is to produce one-play-only games. Someone buys it, but then can't sell it on, and then they're just stuck with stuff filling up their shelves, so it just has to be binned. Yeah, you could recycle the plastic case and paper inserts (not everywhere though), but the disc itself can't be recycled as far as I'm aware, and that does seem silly anyway to chuck out a perfectly decent game.

Yeah - a trifecta of bullshit is a great way to consider this rumoured news. I do hope it is just a rumour and not fact.

And didn't Sony say that MS could "go first" in announcing their console?

These "close sources" could just be bullshitters, or they could be floating out ideas that could be yanked at the last minute if they prove too unpopular, and I think it's pretty obvious that these ideas (true or not) are horseshit ideas.

I'm definitely in no rush to jump to the next gen - particularly with GTAV coming out in September, and Saints Row 4 rumoured to be out this year (they must have been working on that quite secretly, rumours suggest an August release for it, but I doubt it'll come-to-pass that early ... you never know though) - and a bunch of other games I could snap up on-the-cheap that I never got around to playing.

I wouldn't be buying a new console straight away anyway - let the tech embed itself, see if there's any ridiculous hardware issues, let some games get onto the market, see if some sales come out, let prices drop a bit etc. It was 18 months before I hopped on the 360 bandgwagon.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Feb-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Ireland
    The resale of games is actually important to the industry too. When one considers the rising cost of premium titles and the lowering of people's incomes, the ability of the consumer to sell a game on becomes a great way to recoup some of the money they spent on the full price game, thus there is an incentive for the buyer to fork out the, frankly, ridiculous price for top shelf titles.

Without the ability to sell on a game that the user has beaten or has decided that it's not for them, a lot of people will opt not to buy newly released, full priced titles, or at least will confine there purchases to 5 star only games, which will have a serious effect on the revenue for both the software houses and the console manufacturers.

It's a no brainer.

Also, LoL at Sony's U-Turn.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    And continuing on from Shoot's post, people will be less willing to try out first-entry games - the first in a proposed franchise - they'd be less willing to try out something new by a fresh dev team, perhaps. Sales might not be anywhere near as good as hoped and a sequel might not then happen - the first title might be a bit iffy in some regards, but worth playing on sale or second hand, but the sequel might be a fantastic follow-up. The Saints Row games got exponentially better with each sequel.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    I think i'll stick to the 360 or jump to sony
    What I was thinking...

Administrator

England
    I Call bullshit.. firstly all 3 of those statements are corporate suicide. ANY company knows this.

Secondly, the article goes onto mention blu-ray technology being used which again is total bull as everyone knows microsoft and toshiba admitted defeat against blu-ray years ago and microsoft tried to release a blu-ray drive for the 360, which sony refused to license.

Why would they change their mind now?
    Last edited by Andy; 07-Feb-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Why would they change their mind now?
    They aint remotely in the same finanical position. So in a word:

United States
    Hell, if even one of those items are true, it's going to be nothing more than MS committing console suicide.

If these things (any one of them) turn out to be true, I'll sit out this next gen of consoles. I'll stick with my PC gaming.

I would like to say I'd jump to the Playstation, but I think everyone here knows my aversion to Sony by now.