Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-Ray case - The Governor's fish tank!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Why is Amazon UK listing it at all then? http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Walking-.../dp/B00DHITBQG
    That's a surprise - we got skipped over for season 2 IIRC - I wonder how much they'll be flogging it for. A price not worth paying for me, I bet - I'll stick with my current Blu-Ray pre-order.

Great Britain
    This would look nice next to it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Here's a review of the Blu-Ray:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wa.../57527/#Review

4.5/5

Extras List:

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season contains several supplements, all of which are featured on disc five, save for episode-specific commentaries.

Audio Commentaries: Director Guy Ferland and Actor IronE Singleton for "Killer Within;" Director/Co-Executive Producer/Special Effects Make-Up Artist Greg Nicotero and Actor Danai Gurira for "Say the Word;" Executive Producer/Writer Robert Kirkman, Executive Producers David Alpert and Gale Anne Hurd, and Actor Danai Gurira for "Made to Suffer;" Executive Producer Gale Anne Hurd and Actor Danai Gurira for "The Suicide King;" and Director/Co-Executive Producer/Special Effects Make-Up Artist Greg Nicotero and Actor Michael Rooker for "This Sorrowful Life."

Rising Son (HD, 6:47): A look at casting Chandler Riggs and the character's arc through the series and in season three in particular.

Evil Eye (HD, 7:54): An examination of "The Governor," including the character traits and dichotomy between the Woodbury exterior and the dark interior. It also highlights the character's evolution and David Morrissey's performance.

Gone, But Not Forgotten (HD, 8:14): A piece that focuses on the death of a character, death scene makeup and prosthetics, and the emotional on-set and on-screen feelings surrounding the death.

Heart of a Warrior (HD, 8:25): This featurette examines Michonne, including Danai Gurira's performance, her conflict with Merle, and her deeper character traits.

Michonne vs. The Governor (HD, 5:13): A closer look into one of the season's driving conflicts with emphasis on the making of one scene.

Safety Behind Bars (HD, 9:44): Cast and crew discuss the prison location, the prison's place in the show, and the process of constructing the set and the amount of detail that went into making it.

Making the Dead (HD, 8:06): A detailed focus on zombie construction and the visual effects that support their "lives" and "deaths," both practical and digital.

Guts and Glory (HD, 7:42): A look at additional character deaths.

Deleted Scenes (HD, 13:20): Scenes from "Walk With Me," "Say the Word," "Hounded," "Home," "I Ain't No Judas," and "Clear."

England
    I've gone for my usual US version being shipped to me cause its just not worth the risk of not getting the commentaries. Looks like the Special edition of Season 1 was a one off extras wise. Season 2 and 3 have been pretty much standard tv box set extras.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 21-Aug-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: mnm
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I've gone for my usual US version being shipped to me cause its just not worth the risk of not getting the commentaries. Looks like the Special edition of Season 1 was a one off extras wise. Season 2 and 3 have been pretty much standard tv box set extras.
    The thing with season one was they double dipped. The initial release was the same over here (aside from, bizarrely, some cuts that seemed to have been made accidentally - due to porting files from the wrong European source, IIRC) ... with season 2 there was a disparity - it was the same except in the UK there were no commentaries at all, and the webisodes were missing (why? who knows ... but perhaps it was Entertainment One being a bit stingy as here in the UK each individual extra feature has to be rated by the BBFC, unlike in America where extra features are routinely left unrated) ... and yet they boasted about a "UK exclusive extra" - which was just a shitty bit of 'character profile' text that told you absolutely nothing you didn't already know from, you know, WATCHING the show itself!

With the continued success and widening audience of TWD, I'm hoping that season three will be third time's the charm. Commentary wise, Danai is cool - and certainly appears on several tracks - but it's a shame that they don't really have many other cast members in the mix this time around by the looks of it. The commentaries is really the only thing I'm worried about, I think the other features should be safe and sound (the release is five discs on both formats in all territories, so it should be a direct port).

I imported the first season special edition DVD for the excellent compliment of extras, and bought season 2 on R2 DVD as it was on a sale.

One thing that I'm a little surprised by, is that they've not included the online making of featurettes that they ran for each episode on AMC's YouTube channel. Surely that would have been an easy addition, and yet no dice on that front ... good thing I downloaded them off YouTube at the time.

England
    Yaaay. My US Season 3 box set is here. 5 days from the US. Not bad. Nice little surprise as he's sent me the Walmart Exclusive which has a bonus "Songs of Survival" cd.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Yaaay. My US Season 3 box set is here. 5 days from the US. Not bad. Nice little surprise as he's sent me the Walmart Exclusive which has a bonus "Songs of Survival" cd.
    So how much did that cost in total?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So how much did that cost in total?
    $44.89 shipped. £28.71 Region locked though so you need a bluray player thats hackable

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    $44.89 shipped. £28.71 Region locked though so you need a bluray player thats hackable
    And I take it he writes something different/bends the truth of the price on the customs form where it asks for the value of the item?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And I take it he writes something different/bends the truth of the price on the customs form where it asks for the value of the item?
    Either marks it as a gift or undervalues it. Never had a problem

- - - Updated - - -

Season 3 rewatch is underway. The audio and video are excellent so far and I dont know if its cause im watching it on a 51" tv instead of a 9ft projector screen, but the grain is very evident. Far more than i've noticed before. Should be the other way around.
    The detail in and around the prison with the fences etc is stunning.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I should have my Blu-Ray of season 3 this time next month, and it's the first time I'm getting TWD in HD, so I'm looking forward to getting a gawp at the filmy textury goodness.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've just received my copy of season 3, and going from the list of extras on the back of the box and comparing them to the review of the R1 set via BluRay.com, all the extras are there - featurettes, deleted scenes, and commentaries - so yay!

It never made a lick of sense of not include the season 2 commentaries on these shores, so I'm pleased we got the complete package this time.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've just received my copy of season 3, and going from the list of extras on the back of the box and comparing them to the review of the R1 set via BluRay.com, all the extras are there - featurettes, deleted scenes, and commentaries - so yay!

It never made a lick of sense of not include the season 2 commentaries on these shores, so I'm pleased we got the complete package this time.
    Excellent

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I've started on the boxset.

Extras wise, some of them are a little disappointing in that they're essentially just season-wide debriefs on character conflicts - all of which we already know, because we've watched the season itself, but others (such as the featurette on building the prison) were rather good (e.g. showing how they achieve that 'cracked and flakey metal paintwork' effect, and that the 'brick walls' are actually soft.

Decent deleted scenes, although again I feel like there are a bunch of scenes missing - IIRC, Nicotero spoke of several scenes having to be sliced out of 3x05 for time, and yet here it's just one single scene that we get. Were the scenes lost? Were they too incomplete to include? Hmmm...

I made a start on my re-watch of season 3 last night - I'd forgotten just how fast-paced the first episode was. It all moves with purpose and vigour, and yeah, I think my favourite zombie kill of the entire season was the guard walker whose facial mask was torn off with the gas mask. Nice to see TWD in HD for the first time, too.

Administrator

England
    I so want the fish tank... Just not willing to pay rip off prices
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan