Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Talking Dead

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I could see being a guest via skype.
    The Joe Pilato and Bub thing, if he was playing Rhodes and never breaking character, it wouldn't have any relevance to the show at all.
    It'd kinda be like having Hugh jackman and Anna Paquin do ballroom dancing in costume as an aftershow for a Batman cartoon.
    Technically true, but you have to admit that there are way more connections between The Walking Dead and any character or person involved with making Day of the Dead than many of the guests they have on that after show. Even the iconic wind-swept newspaper that says "The Dead Walk!" would have more connections to The Walking Dead than many of the guests.

Regarding guests in general: I remember that Alice Cooper once called the show and said he was a big fan of The Walking Dead. That would be a cool guest to have. He might even take some walkers on tour with him.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Was great again tonight. Love Kevin Smiths enthusiasm

Interestingly this was cut in the US cause Paul Bettany just said "fucked" on the UK version which I noticed was blanked out in the version I watched earlier.
    Hmmmmmm
    Aye, and I dug the rapport Bettany had with Hardwick and Smith. It's fun to see other folks genuinely having fun on the show - and knowing the subject matter well. I do wish the Americans would grow up when it comes to swearing ... it's just a word, guys, come on. Dug Smith's sneakily-worded 'never-ending BJ' analogy, too, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I remember that Alice Cooper once called the show and said he was a big fan of The Walking Dead. That would be a cool guest to have. He might even take some walkers on tour with him.
    Yeah! Now that I'd love to see!

Although I disagree on your assessment of most guests not being clued up on the show. There have certainly been infamous instances such as Marilyn Manson or the notorious Dave "I've invested 14 hours of my life in this show" Navarro (an absolute low point for guests on the show that has yet to be matched, thankfully). Hardwick has spoken about the choice of guests at times in the past before and has said that they always do their best to make sure the person they're having on actually watches they show. They don't have to be religious or fastidious about it, but it helps. One of their best recurring guests is this lady Yvette Nicole Brown (with her notebook of things to discuss on Talking Dead, hehe) - I love her passion and in-depth reading of the episodes. She feels like she'd fit right in on HPOTD.

In the past there have certainly been guests that I've spotted immediately as either fakers or just not caught up on the show properly. You can tell by how vague they are, and that they never referenced previous episodes (i.e. just reacting to what they've been shown before going live). In the last couple of seasons of Talking Dead they've really upped their game, not only including more guests from the show itself (it's rare now to not have one - or even two - guests from TWD land), but making sure their guests are clued up on TWD.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah! Now that I'd love to see!

Although I disagree on your assessment of most guests not being clued up on the show. There have certainly been infamous instances such as Marilyn Manson or the notorious Dave "I've invested 14 hours of my life in this show" Navarro (an absolute low point for guests on the show that has yet to be matched, thankfully). Hardwick has spoken about the choice of guests at times in the past before and has said that they always do their best to make sure the person they're having on actually watches they show. They don't have to be religious or fastidious about it, but it helps. One of their best recurring guests is this lady Yvette Nicole Brown (with her notebook of things to discuss on Talking Dead, hehe) - I love her passion and in-depth reading of the episodes. She feels like she'd fit right in on HPOTD.

In the past there have certainly been guests that I've spotted immediately as either fakers or just not caught up on the show properly. You can tell by how vague they are, and that they never referenced previous episodes (i.e. just reacting to what they've been shown before going live). In the last couple of seasons of Talking Dead they've really upped their game, not only including more guests from the show itself (it's rare now to not have one - or even two - guests from TWD land), but making sure their guests are clued up on TWD.
    Alice Cooper fan, I see

When I said "connection" I meant it as in "zombie-related", rather than if the guest is a real fan of the show or not. I agree that many of the guests are indeed real fans, but the posts I intended to respond to were more concerned with the fact that many of the guests don't have an actual connection of any kind with the show.

Super Moderator

UK
    Alice Cooper fan, I see

When I said "connection" I meant it as in "zombie-related", rather than if the guest is a real fan of the show or not. I agree that many of the guests are indeed real fans, but the posts I intended to respond to were more concerned with the fact that many of the guests don't have an actual connection of any kind with the show.
    Oh yeah, big fan of Alice Cooper.

I suppose with the folks from the show itself, they're either working on the show at the time (quite a distance away, too), or they're having a break (time with family, enjoying free time, working on other projects), so there's a logisital issue. They're good at getting at least one person from one side of the camera or other to turn up and represent and buddy them up with a celebrity guest fan of the show. There's only so much time on the couch as well, so there's lots of factors I think. There were times earlier on when they wouldn't have anyone from the show for weeks at a time, but now it's quite rare to not having someone on who's linked to the show, so they've improved on that front quite a lot. It's good to have a mix between folks behind/in front TWD's cameras and commentators who take our position as viewers (acting like a conduit) so there's two perspectives on the viewing experience - sometimes the celebrity fan will ask something that isn't necessarily obvious to us all, but to someone who works on the show it's clear and so it can be explained ... so yeah, various factors and practical issues I guess.

England
    Also love Yvette Nicole Brown. Proper TWD nerd (compliment). She's on next week with Lindelof so I'm going to have to pay extra attention so I can keep up with her.
    I've always thought this genre would have legs once it hit mainstream purely with the number of fans within the industry.
    We've even had the "hollywoodification" of a genre classic (imo).
    Brad Pitt and Arnie have been the leads in "zombie" movies.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Rising

United States
    One of the The Talking Dead guests in yesterday's show might be a reader of these forums. He complained about viewers who criticize the decisions that characters in The Walking Dead make, and he specifically referred to those who say that Rick should have burned the zombies while they were trapped in the quarry instead of letting them out

Well, current events in the show prove that all those of us who thought it was a much less risky business to try to destroy the zombies while they were still trapped in the quarry were basically correct. It is not a good idea at all to try to guide hundreds of unruly zombies for miles. A whole bunch of stuff could go wrong in such an attempt, way more than simply trying to burn or blast the zombies while they are in a position that they can't get at you. It is not rocket science. It is just common sense.
    Last edited by JDP; 26-Oct-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

UK
    One of the The Talking Dead guests in yesterday's show might be a reader of these forums. He complained about viewers who criticize the decisions that characters in The Walking Dead make, and he specifically referred to those who say that Rick should have burned the zombies while they were trapped in the quarry instead of letting them out
    Damon Lindelof? Yeah, that comment did make me chuckle, although I imagine many folks over the interwebs had similar thoughts.

To be fair, Rick's plan would have totally worked - it was the totally unforseen attack on Alexandria, and the even more 50/50 chance of the truck horn being leaned on in death - that scuppered it.

Even the burned option, as convinced of it as I initially was, would carry with it a whole heap of problems of it's own (such as attracting more walkers, lighting a massive smoke signal for any nefarious goons in the wilderness, etc).

Great to see Yvette Nicole Brown back on the show with all her insights. I love how she loves this show so much, and really digs into the meat of things, digging out little references and foreshadowing moments and so on. She's the best recurring guest they've had on the show who doesn't also work on TWD.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    To be fair, Rick's plan would have totally worked - it was the totally unforseen attack on Alexandria, and the even more 50/50 chance of the truck horn being leaned on in death - that scuppered it.
    That was one of a bunch of things that could have gone wrong with such a risky idea. If it wasn't that unforeseen attack it could have been something else. It is just not a good idea to try to lead a horde of zombies to a destination miles away.

Even the burned option, as convinced of it as I initially was, would carry with it a whole heap of problems of it's own (such as attracting more walkers, lighting a massive smoke signal for any nefarious goons in the wilderness, etc).
    The zombies in the quarry are already attracting more zombies, so that would not make much of a difference. The plan is to get rid of the accumulated ones. Then you can either unblock the exits so that they no longer become trapped or let them accumulate again only to eventually get rid of them again.

As for hostile human groups, sooner of later they are going to spot Alexandria no matter what. The place is big and even has signs advertising it around the area (I don't understand why they haven't got rid of these signs yet, they might give other groups of survivors the idea to go check out the place.)

Canada

Well, current events in the show prove that all those of us who thought it was a much less risky business to try to destroy the zombies while they were still trapped in the quarry were basically correct. It is not a good idea at all to try to guide hundreds of unruly zombies for miles. A whole bunch of stuff could go wrong in such an attempt, way more than simply trying to burn or blast the zombies while they are in a position that they can't get at you. It is not rocket science. It is just common sense.

I know people over at TWD reddit forum were flipping their shit over Rick's plan too. Quite a hilarious read if one has time to burn.