Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the character flash backs?

Administrator

England

What happened to the character flash backs?

I used to love those little flash backs...

Are we too far into the apocalypse and too far away from those earlier times now to be able to see flash backs to the characters a while ago?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Mazzara and Kirkman said before the start of Season Three that there wouldn't be anymore flashbacks. That of course may change now that Gimple is taking over for Season Four...

Administrator

England
    I guess we're too far into this now, and distant history is just that... Not fresh enough to flash back to
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I certainly did enjoy the little flashbacks we got, but I suppose they have to be pertinent to the story - e.g. in 2x13 where we see the source of The Herd and then gradually coming together en mass and then hearing the shot that ultimately brought down Hershel's farm.

Or another one I really enjoyed was the flashback to Lori picking Carl up from school - just an ordinary event - and then Shane turns up in his squad car and tells Lori, and then Lori has to tell Carl - we already knew how it worked out, but it was a nice moment to have in there, a little glimpse into the life before in a way that connected to the life now.

It would have to fit in and be necessary for the plot, but yeah, I think they're beyond flashbacks now - unless it was a flashback to something that happened earlier within this season or something ... who knows, but this show has never been heavy on flashbacks anyway (in Lost it was part of the fabric), so better to leave them out rather than shoe-horn them in.

What I would like to see is more time passing - little montages - all this action happening within 7-10 days (thus far in season 3) is a pretty hectic week. I would like to see a few small montages throughout a season that shows time moving on a little bit. A few days here and there and showing them getting on with certain tasks - be it scavenging for food, or setting up defenses, or thinning out walkers at the fences etc, or even little character moments that can't be slotted into the main thrust of the action, but would fit well in these sort of montages.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I guess we're too far into this now, and distant history is just that... Not fresh enough to flash back to
    To be fair, Kirkman was originally adamant in the comic about not doing flashbacks (don't know if anything has changed in the last year or so of comics, nor do I need to know). The idea has always been that the story is about the present condition of the characters. Sounds a bit of a stretch/circular logic, to me, but I think flashbacks are way, waaaaay overused lately. So I'm happy with that. They've turned into a bit of a storytelling crutch, if you ask me.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    but I think flashbacks are way, waaaaay overused lately.
    "Lost" was flash back/forward overkill, that's for sure!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I certainly did enjoy the little flashbacks we got, but I suppose they have to be pertinent to the story - e.g. in 2x13 where we see the source of The Herd and then gradually coming together en mass and then hearing the shot that ultimately brought down Hershel's farm.
    I find that scene to be cringe worthy. It's just too coincidental. Out of all the dead people in Georgia, they're going to tell us this certain group travelled what would be an hour by car, on foot, and then just happened to end up next to the farm at the perfect time to hear the shot? Puh-lease.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I find that scene to be cringe worthy. It's just too coincidental. Out of all the dead people in Georgia, they're going to tell us this certain group travelled what would be an hour by car, on foot, and then just happened to end up next to the farm at the perfect time to hear the shot? Puh-lease.
    The herd has to come from somewhere - why not having originated as a group, that gradually grew, distracted by that helicopter from 1x01, and then eventually find their way to the vicinity of the farm. Had Shane's finger not spasmed when he was knifed by Rick - and shot off that round - the herd might have wandered by. The herd has to be created, and in being created, it has to start - we just got to see how it started and then how it grew.

I loved that flashback/reveal/whatever.

United States
    The herd has to come from somewhere - why not having originated as a group, that gradually grew, distracted by that helicopter from 1x01, and then eventually find their way to the vicinity of the farm. Had Shane's finger not spasmed when he was knifed by Rick - and shot off that round - the herd might have wandered by. The herd has to be created, and in being created, it has to start - we just got to see how it started and then how it grew.

THIS! I don't know why people don't understand this. It's simple and makes complete sense. Couldn't have said it any better

Administrator

England

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    THIS! I don't know why people don't understand this. It's simple and makes complete sense. Couldn't have said it any better
    Seconded

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Perhaps it's because I've travelled that stretch of road. It's just too convenient for that specific herd to make it to that specific spot. I guess it's just one of those same ol story telling techniques. Like Hershel's unlimited ammo...

Super Moderator

UK
    The genesis of the herd is nothing like the unlimited ammo. The latter is a cheat to save screentime for more exciting things, while the former is an interesting little tale in itself that shows us what we usually don't get to see in these situations - you wonder "hmm, where did they come from?" - and in 2x13 we see where they come from. I enjoyed the cosmic irony of it as well, Rick gets into a mess of trouble because of chasing that chopper, and then ultimately it comes back to bite his arse a second time by the cruel hand of fate.

Kind of plays into a theme of The Walking Dead that decisions made often have negative consequences - sort of plays into that - while other decisions/mistakes lead to bigger problems (e.g. Michonne not managing to kill The Governor - or indeed putting down Penny-Walker, which opened a can of worms).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Either way you cut it, it's extremely convenient for that heard to travel days and make it in just the right spot. Hershel's farm is a good hour outside of Atlanta by car. They would have done much better to just have it be a random herd walking by rather than a herd specifically from the city.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Either way you cut it, it's extremely convenient for that heard to travel days and make it in just the right spot. Hershel's farm is a good hour outside of Atlanta by car. They would have done much better to just have it be a random herd walking by rather than a herd specifically from the city.
    But then how would a random herd be any different from the herd in the city?

By the looks of things they were wandering aimlessly for a long time - indeed in 3x01 they lay out a map and they talk about the movements of the herd(s) and it seems very random, doubling back on themselves, heading wherever they please whenever they please, going on whatever happens to distract the leaders of the pack at any given time.

Super Moderator

United States
    I agree wit Bass.

A well turned and thought out coincidence can draw interest or provoke the audience to think about the circumstances of the world the characters occupy, a gimmicky coincidence that outstrips the bounds of credulity tossed into a script to get "Ohhh"s out of the audience can easily come off as forced and contrived.

In short it seemed unnecessary and lazy.

Not a big deal, in my book, and I don't mind seeing how a large roaming horde can form, but they could have illustrated that without such a heavy hand.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany