Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TWD 3x11 "I Ain't A Judas" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Thing that gets me is everyone on both sides of the war expose themselves to potential sniper fire. They'd rather risk a full auto exchange every time rather than just picking off the other side one-by-one at long range. But I guess that wouldn't be as dramatic to watch. Liked the governor's truck "walker-nuke" though.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

England
    When leaving the prison, I loved the way the Andrea character gave a final look back into her rear view mirror...

Series 3 has been excellent so far!

Twitching

United States
    One point about Andrea accidentally shooting Daryl,
    Andrea was so all-fired to be on guard duty and demonstrate she could protect the camp, which was the way she wished to contribute (like the men do)...because Lori went on a passive aggressive, guilt-trip tirade about Andrea not helping out with the meals and the washing "Puts a burden on the rest of us"....

Once AGAIN, Lori's self-appointed stone-thrower attitude resulting in a negative outcome. Now, go back and review that "conversation" between Lori and Andrea in Mid-season 2...and then tell me honestly you can't see how Lori trying to guilt Andrea into joining Team Woman's Work plays a part in Andrea being overeager while on guard duty.

In FACT, Andrea was getting grief from all comers at that point in the series. Clashing with Dale for intruding and denying her a right to self-determination and then as the Gun Control Police. Alienated from Rick (AND Shane at that point) for not siding with her and letting Dale get away with it. Rick's motives were excellent...at that time they'd JUST narrowly escaped a herd, and he actually stated "less people with guns, less chance on a shot drawing the herd back this way"...unfortunately, this smart and well-reasoned motive was doomed to be misconstrued by Andrea because of the piles of bullshit reasoning by the others it got buried in.

And YES, letting LORI carry a piece when at that time so far as we know she had ZERO training...and solely because of Rick's desire to keep her safe at all costs WAS hypocritical of Rick...however emotionally justifiable most of us find this bit of hypocrisy. However, from Andrea's perspective one could reasonably say this was rubbing salt in an open wound. In fact, (again)..If you notice, every time that just about enough time has passed for Andrea to get over one reason to be aggravated with Rick...often for the most well-intentioned but poorly executed reasons, Rick comes along and does something else that 99% of people in Andrea's place would be furious over.

Breaking up Andrea's bitchiness into point-by-point incidents denies the basic reality of the character. Ie: Like Shane (totally different motives/mindsets), Andrea was subjected to offense after insult, after condescension after guilt-trip after lecture after snap-decision denying her her rights while giving those same rights to others no more worthy or deserving. It's a totality issue. When everyone around you is doing and saying things to alienate you, the first instinct is to withdraw from their company. The zombie apocalypse keeps one from doing that though. So, trapped with people who from one's perspective seem to be making it a habit to fuck with you, a poor attitude is going to be the least and most understandable of results.

When one sets out to assign blame, one's argument only holds water if you assign it fairly and objectively to all involved/connected to the behaviors which you are judging. Doing otherwise is simple cherry-picking of events that support one's point of view. (Something I know something about, having been guilty of it several times myself.)

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As I said - at this point in my post I was speaking generally - i.e. not specifically about you. Perhaps I should have emphasised that sentence more for clarification - didn't mean to cause offense - although I do genuinely believe that some people out there in the rest of the Internet have foul opinions of these characters because they're foul people in real life (or have certain opinions in real life that I consider to be foul), but I don't include you in that, nor everyone who holds a controversial/foul opinion of one of these characters, nor am I speaking about any HPOTD'ers. Just to clarify.
    Right on, I can see what you're saying about death-threaters for sure, that's way too much. But a lot of internet folk just constantly speak in hyperbole, and I don't think it speaks ill of ones character. (Unless the person is just constantly hating to hate, without backing up their opinions and whatnot, you gnome saiyan?)

I was thinking about her not killing The Governor again last night, and it makes all-the-more sense that she wouldn't - as Holden rightly points out, she's never killed a human being before, only walkers. This is a huge ask by Carol (one that, clearly, surprised the hell out of Andrea).
    I didn't expect her to kill him at all, it definitely is not in her character - not yet anyway. I was half-expecting Governor to wake up and maybe even choke her to death, it would really turn the viewer against him even more, and would have been far more beneficial to the story than Andrea killing him in the most anti-climatic fashion possible.

I also think that Andrea in the comics is quite a head strong character, who has made foolish decisions in those pages, or attempted to take a rash course of action, only to be reigned-in by Rick or someone else. Andrea isn't just a clear-cut warrior in the comics, she's flawed on those pages too - quick to anger, capable of making rash decisions, but also very capable behind a trigger and willing to practice the harsh realities of this new world. TV's Andrea is getting close to that harsh mistress of the undead world - by the end of the season I'd imagine we'll see the hardened resolve we comics readers (I read the trade paperbacks as they're released every six months) have been used to for a long time.
    Yea, again, it's down to personal taste at this point, but if I was one of the survivors and Andrea was acting the way she does in the show, I wouldn't be too fond of her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    One point about Andrea accidentally shooting Daryl,
    Andrea was so all-fired to be on guard duty and demonstrate she could protect the camp, which was the way she wished to contribute (like the men do)...because Lori went on a passive aggressive, guilt-trip tirade about Andrea not helping out with the meals and the washing "Puts a burden on the rest of us".... Once AGAIN, Lori's self-appointed stone-thrower attitude resulting in a negative outcome. Now, go back and review that "conversation" between Lori and Andrea in Mid-season 2...and then tell me honestly you can't see how Lori trying to guilt Andrea into joining Team Woman's Work plays a part in Andrea being overeager while on guard duty.
    I agreed with Lori. Andrea SHOULD have joined the women in doing female work, and trained on how to defend the camp on the side until she had more experience. Lori was making valid points in that discussion, and was doing it in a far more amicable fashion then Andrea, who immediately got really upset and offended Lori suggested she fell in line with the stereotypical gender roles every other female on the show gracefully accepted to accommodate the men in the groups sanity.

In FACT, Andrea was getting grief from all comers at that point in the series. Clashing with Dale for intruding and denying her a right to self-determination and then as the Gun Control Police. Alienated from Rick (AND Shane at that point) for not siding with her and letting Dale get away with it. Rick's motives were excellent...at that time they'd JUST narrowly escaped a herd, and he actually stated "less people with guns, less chance on a shot drawing the herd back this way"...unfortunately, this smart and well-reasoned motive was doomed to be misconstrued by Andrea because of the piles of bullshit reasoning by the others it got buried in.
    Rick and Shane were giving Andrea encouragement for being a good shot. Both Rick and Shane asked Andrea on several occasions to watch over things when they needed to do something else. She wasn't excluded at all, she just twisted everyone's words as some kind of personal attack on her when it was rules being enforced for the entire group.

And YES, letting LORI carry a piece when at that time so far as we know she had ZERO training...and solely because of Rick's desire to keep her safe at all costs WAS hypocritical of Rick...however emotionally justifiable most of us find this bit of hypocrisy. However, from Andrea's perspective one could reasonably say this was rubbing salt in an open wound. In fact, (again)..If you notice, every time that just about enough time has passed for Andrea to get over one reason to be aggravated with Rick...often for the most well-intentioned but poorly executed reasons, Rick comes along and does something else that 99% of people in Andrea's place would be furious over.
    Andrea has warranted reasons to treat Rick like shit, most of the time, I can see what you're saying here. It still isn't gonna make me sympathize with her character, because again...her delivery is lacking. She acts too much like a spoiled child, in a post-apocalyptic wasteland you just gotta let the petty shit go, and Andrea NEVER seems to be able to do that. Then she acts all surprised when people give her the cold shoulder when she returns to the prison, when she's literally held the most grudges over petty reasons of any character.

Breaking up Andrea's bitchiness into point-by-point incidents denies the basic reality of the character. Ie: Like Shane (totally different motives/mindsets), Andrea was subjected to offense after insult, after condescension after guilt-trip after lecture after snap-decision denying her her rights while giving those same rights to others no more worthy or deserving. It's a totality issue. When everyone around you is doing and saying things to alienate you, the first instinct is to withdraw from their company. The zombie apocalypse keeps one from doing that though. So, trapped with people who from one's perspective seem to be making it a habit to fuck with you, a poor attitude is going to be the least and most understandable of results.
    Her warped perspective is the only reason she was being insulted or condescended to. They were the same rights taken from everyone else, besides Lori on that one occasion. She took personal offense to rules set in place for the entire group. Because of this, I'd say the character is either STUPID or SELFISH, maybe even a little bit of both.

When one sets out to assign blame, one's argument only holds water if you assign it fairly and objectively to all involved/connected to the behaviors which you are judging. Doing otherwise is simple cherry-picking of events that support one's point of view. (Something I know something about, having been guilty of it several times myself.)
    Of course I'm cherry picking events, after all, I was attempting to illustrate her dis-likable traits (and the consistency of said traits) to express my own personal loathing of the character. I'm not trying to prove she's a bad character that everyone should hate, I was merely illustrating what about the character I personally found irritating enough to actively dislike her presence on the TV show.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 06-Mar-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: sadf