Thread: 10 ways AMC's The Walking Dead messed up

Dying

United States

10 ways AMC's The Walking Dead messed up

I wrote an article about the Walking Dead TV series, check it out.

http://sweetfunkyfreedom.blogspot.co...messed-up.html

Administrator

England
    To be honest man.. i read the first 3 points then got bored.

Is this just basically a long rant bitching about andrea? it looked like it..

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    To be honest man.. i read the first 3 points then got bored.

Is this just basically a long rant bitching about andrea? it looked like it..
    Yes, that would be the joke. Way to spoil it To be honest man...I totally understand someone not "getting" this type of humor. It's intentionally abrasive and exaggerated. It's grating on the eyes if you're focusing on the satirical rage, as opposed to eying out all the punchlines.

My writing inspirations are: Doug Stanhope, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Maddox, Douglas Adams, and Larry David, so go figure. I seemed to generate similar reactions in my "World War Z Review." People were acting as though I was being completely serious suggesting that that movie was on par with the BP Oil Spill. Some people just miss the humor entirely, I guess, and I totally understand that because it's sort of a niche style of comedy. I assume this is due to a generational gap more than anything.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 23-Feb-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: agfjgdfdsghjkliuytgfdxcvbnmjlk

Super Moderator

United States
    My first reaction was...

But I do agree with some of your points! Thank you for sharing, hopefully a fresh take on the character or a writing overhaul will happen eventually, but I have my doubts.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    My first reaction was...

But I do agree with some of your points! Thank you for sharing, hopefully a fresh take on the character or a writing overhaul will happen eventually, but I have my doubts.
    Ah haha! I love Emperor Palpatine. There used to be a youtube video of him doing hate speech. "Good, good, let the hate flow through you!" WHENEVER anyone got offended by something I said and decided to personally attack me because they disagreed with me, I'd use that video and they'd realize they were being hypocrites. (BRB, personally attacking someone for being a "Jerk" when all they're doing is sharing an opinion. As if personally insulting someone who's ranting about Lil Wayne is less of a dickhead move than just disliking Lil Wayne. LOL, people get way too butthurt about opinions these days. Politically correct, backwards-ass society.)

This article is WAYYYY more misogynist. It's literally written about how the gender roles are being reversed through social conditioning:
    http://sweetfunkyfreedom.blogspot.co...er-part-2.html

However, I would like to note I love every current female character on the show besides Andrea and the ancillary characters that don't mean shit. Like, Lori never bothered me, I could totally understand what she was going through. Carol never angered me, and I've seen some Carol hate. I like Beth, I love Maggie. (Amazing actress and beautiful as well) Patricia was kind of weak as an actress, but I didn't loath her character or anything. I even thought Jacqui was pretty funny. "SHOW OF HANDS!" (Raises middle finger)
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 23-Feb-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Dude, I'm just happy Michonne had a line of dialogue this week

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Dude, I'm just happy Michonne had a line of dialogue this week
    Well in the comic, she literally only talked to herself for the longest time. I can see why the detractors get annoyed with her on the show, but I can totally understand the writers perspective, too. She talked plenty to Andrea when she was sick, I thought, and I feel like she's acting very very guarded because of her lack of trust since dealing with the Governor. Although I ALSO remember thinking she had an irrational distrust of the Governor from the start. Even though she ended up being right, she actually somewhat caused his turn.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 23-Feb-2013 at 04:24 PM.

United States
    The way I look at the differences between the comic version and the television version of TWD is the same way I reacted to the Battlestar Galactica 1978 series to the recent reimagined version. At first I was put off with Starbuck's sex change, but after a few episodes, it was acceptable to me. MInd you, I haven't and still refuse to read the TWD comics (don't want to know what's coming watching the series), but I understand that there's distinct changes from the comics that at times make fans lose their sh*t lol.

So in short, I don't like Andrea either.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Twitching

United States
    Sad thing is,
    There's a grain of truth in the "way more misogynistic" article. At least the part about how society treats the 2 sexes differently when they cheat. Guy does it, he's scum. Girl does it, and six unsolicited defenders leap forward to provide baseless speculation-derived justifications for the infidelity. The classic being "Her boyfriend must be treating her horribly etc"....well, if he is she should dump him, not bang his best friend after crying on his shoulder. The open and honesty I'd like to see more of from BOTH sexes.

But anyways, Andrea is reaching the event horizon of unsalvagability...if they don't devote serious energy VERY soon to turning her around she's just going to be something ppl fast forward past on their DVR episodes. Glenn and Maggie also need to have MEANINGFUL contact...enough of this snippy 30-second clash nonsense. Been there, done it a lot. Time to progress or break up. There's too many characters wallowing in drama all at once. Rick going kooky would be fine if it was JUST HIM. Glenn and Maggie, same deal. Merle crapping on everything anyone says, fine if things are normal...but add it all together, and it starts to feel very Beverly Hills 90210 w/ Zombies.

Hoping we see some progress on resolving some of the emotional issues with core characters soon. The hands been overplayed and needs to be rebalanced.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Sad thing is,
    There's a grain of truth in the "way more misogynistic" article. At least the part about how society treats the 2 sexes differently when they cheat. Guy does it, he's scum. Girl does it, and six unsolicited defenders leap forward to provide baseless speculation-derived justifications for the infidelity. The classic being "Her boyfriend must be treating her horribly etc"....well, if he is she should dump him, not bang his best friend after crying on his shoulder. The open and honesty I'd like to see more of from BOTH sexes.
    Yea, I tried to put a lot of truth into particular subject matter - it's supposed to read like standup comedy in written form. But that "misogynistic" article definitely points out a lot of flaws I see in modern culture, particularly in my name of land 'murica.

But anyways, Andrea is reaching the event horizon of unsalvagability...if they don't devote serious energy VERY soon to turning her around she's just going to be something ppl fast forward past on their DVR episodes. Glenn and Maggie also need to have MEANINGFUL contact...enough of this snippy 30-second clash nonsense. Been there, done it a lot. Time to progress or break up. There's too many characters wallowing in drama all at once. Rick going kooky would be fine if it was JUST HIM. Glenn and Maggie, same deal. Merle crapping on everything anyone says, fine if things are normal...but add it all together, and it starts to feel very Beverly Hills 90210 w/ Zombies.

Hoping we see some progress on resolving some of the emotional issues with core characters soon. The hands been overplayed and needs to be rebalanced.
    Yea, the whole Maggie / Glen rape scenario was irritating, seemed like filler. They already had their little tiff in Season 2. But still....the comic book is kind of all about that 90120 drama. Having just rewatched the entire series in 3 or 4 sittings, I have to say it's probably my favorite show ever made. It works much better in chunks - the 2nd season doesn't seem nearly as tedious when you see it all play-out efficiently, as opposed to waiting 7 weeks just for the 'search for Sophia' to end, feel like you're on the farm for a year because of the season release dates. Reliving that season in 2 sittings is a much more enjoyable watch.

Looking back, Andrea literally is the only major gripe I have with the show. And although it doesn't take me out of the show when she's on the screen, I do find her very tedious to watch. Think about Ben and Allen we've seen from the show - to me they are like ancillary embodiments of Andreas character and personality.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 03-Mar-2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: xvbxc