Thread: Ouya (game console)

England

Ouya (game console)

So are any of you guys looking into this new console?

http://www.ouya.tv/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

Administrator

England
    Not in the same league as the the XBox and PS, but none-the-less, interesting!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I'm curious to check it out. Not sure how much it'll keep my interest, but I've been paying attention to this thing since it went on Kickstarter. Interesting idea. Hopefully it works out for the creators.

I'm kinda glad it's not in the same league as the PS/Xbox. I think we've had about enough of that to last a lifetime. Time for something... 'different'

Administrator

England
    Basically sounds likes android phone/tablet games for the TV?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Basically sounds likes android phone/tablet games for the TV?
    Yeah looks that way, I saw Shadowgun & Dead Trigger being played in the clip on the site, both of which are pretty awesome & graphics are very much current gen, I've got both on my HTC phone. You'll probably see some good titles on the Ouya and I would imagine a lot of indie games too.

Administrator

England
    Of course the big problem would seem to be a lot of android games make use of touch screen and unit movement (eg: leaning it over).

I suppose their controller might allow you to lean it, but touch screen?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Looks very interesting. But a console aint dick without its games, so its gonna have to entice me. But for 99 bucks... Maybe something I can see myself buying.

Administrator

England
    ^ And I instantly started thinking if someone would release an XMBC (media player) app for it!

If this thing could manage your photos, music, TV series and films from a NAS in a nice quick interface, it'll sell like hot cakes!

EDIT!

Great news! Seems it's a given XMBC will come to it - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/OUY...EVO,16692.html
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    From what I understand, every game available on this thing will have a free demo you can play - it's actually a requirement for developers. You make a game, you have to provide some kind of free-play. I like that idea. Gives you a chance to experience at least a little bit of the game before you spend your $.

Also, this thing is completely rootable (for you Apple aficionado's, it's almost the same as "jailbreaking"). The makers of it actually encourage users to do so (they even sell units pre-rooted, albeit it for a higher price) - that's pretty cool. Sounds like they're just going to put it out and say "do whatever you want with it"

The one thing I do hope it allows is the side-loading of applications and games. If that's allowed, I'm already on board to buy one of these things.

Administrator

England
    Shipping - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954641

A new games console which industry experts say could disrupt the industry has begun shipping to customers.

The Ouya costs $99 (£65) and runs on Google's Android operating system.

I'm interested in this thing due to XBMC (media player software)...

-Carl Sagan