Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was Randal from Woodbury?

Dead

United States
    Remember when Rick kills those 2 guys in the bar in season 2? The guy says that they were living out of their cars, and he really was insistent about being taken in to the farm or finding another place, like Nebraska. That was Randalls group, so if they were from Woodbury they wouldn't be looking for another place to go.

This brings up a point that consistently bothers me.
    Where the hell do they get all this gas to keep all these vehicles going at all times?
    This is something that I've always wondered about in general, even before TWD was a TV show. How to keep a vehicle on the road during the apocalypse.
    We see runs on gas, mile long lines at the pumps and a general fuel shortage during small scale emergencies as it is. During Hurricane Sandy for example. People buy up all the gas for use in generators as well as vehicles. And that doesn't even factor in things like people killing each other for gas, as would likely be the case in the early stages of an apocalypse. Or accidents where gas stations get blown to bits like in Dawn04.

Then there are other factors, like the short amount of time it takes for regular gas to destabilize while in storage. So they can't just have a bunch of gas cans lying around the prison. The Woodbury group also has vehicles and likely generators.
    So where could all this fuel be coming from?
    I realize that it's one of those "suspension of disbelief" things. But it really does seem like a much more pertinent thing to address than most other issues like that. They're putting focus on foraging for weapons and ammo. Gas is equally important IMO since they are always driving around.

The reality of it would be that any vehicles still in regular use 1 year or more into the apocalypse would most likely be Diesel. Diesel fuel will be easier to come by because most people will be foraging for regular gas. Diesel for the most part gives better mileage depending on the vehicle. It also offers alternatives like white gas to be used in it's place. And you can also easily create bio-diesel from something as crude as vegetable oil.

I'm not saying they should show them creating gas or always foraging for it.
    But it does deserve at least a nod to it as a logistical concern. Like using vehicles sparingly, maybe running out of gas from time to time.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    Remember when Rick kills those 2 guys in the bar in season 2? The guy says that they were living out of their cars, and he really was insistent about being taken in to the farm or finding another place, like Nebraska. That was Randalls group, so if they were from Woodbury they wouldn't be looking for another place to go.

This brings up a point that consistently bothers me.
    Where the hell do they get all this gas to keep all these vehicles going at all times?
    This is something that I've always wondered about in general, even before TWD was a TV show. How to keep a vehicle on the road during the apocalypse.
    We see runs on gas, mile long lines at the pumps and a general fuel shortage during small scale emergencies as it is. During Hurricane Sandy for example. People buy up all the gas for use in generators as well as vehicles. And that doesn't even factor in things like people killing each other for gas, as would likely be the case in the early stages of an apocalypse. Or accidents where gas stations get blown to bits like in Dawn04.

Then there are other factors, like the short amount of time it takes for regular gas to destabilize while in storage. So they can't just have a bunch of gas cans lying around the prison. The Woodbury group also has vehicles and likely generators.
    So where could all this fuel be coming from?
    I realize that it's one of those "suspension of disbelief" things. But it really does seem like a much more pertinent thing to address than most other issues like that. They're putting focus on foraging for weapons and ammo. Gas is equally important IMO since they are always driving around.

The reality of it would be that any vehicles still in regular use 1 year or more into the apocalypse would most likely be Diesel. Diesel fuel will be easier to come by because most people will be foraging for regular gas. Diesel for the most part gives better mileage depending on the vehicle. It also offers alternatives like white gas to be used in it's place. And you can also easily create bio-diesel from something as crude as vegetable oil.

I'm not saying they should show them creating gas or always foraging for it.
    But it does deserve at least a nod to it as a logistical concern. Like using vehicles sparingly, maybe running out of gas from time to time.
    Don't most farms have their own diesel suplies? Just a thought.

Oh, and you are of course perfectly entitled to point this out, this seems to happen in most PA media, just one of those things...maybe cars have become so ingrained on the human psyche that writers simply cannot imagine a world without them...even a PA world.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Don't most farms have their own diesel suplies? Just a thought.

Oh, and you are of course perfectly entitled to point this out, this seems to happen in most PA media, just one of those things...maybe cars have become so ingrained on the human psyche that writers simply cannot imagine a world without them...even a PA world.
    It's kinda strange isn't it? Humans dependence on things that aren't naturally produced.
    It can't last.

United States
    Kinda makes you think in what direction things would have gone had Rick & company stumbled on Woodbury first instead of the prison. Hmm...
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 26-Mar-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Kinda makes you think in what direction things would have gone had Rick & company stumbled on Woodbury first instead of the prison. Hmm...
    I Still think it would have made amazing TV if at the end of season 2, instead of killing randal, Shane left with him and ended up in woodbury. Imagine how much more terrifying the governor would be with shane and randal at his side, both with REAL grudges against the prison group, aswell as merle!

Obviously then shane would have had to die in season 3 but still, im surprised nobody else thinks this would be an amazing twist.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I Still think it would have made amazing TV if at the end of season 2, instead of killing randal, Shane left with him and ended up in woodbury. Imagine how much more terrifying the governor would be with shane and randal at his side, both with REAL grudges against the prison group, aswell as merle!

Obviously then shane would have had to die in season 3 but still, im surprised nobody else thinks this would be an amazing twist.
    I'm glad it went how it went in the TV show - it was the natural time for it to happen - however I would like to see 'alternative time line events' in the form of a comic or something. That would be a pretty cool idea actually, a book of "what if" alternative storylines that could be told over the equivalent of one or two comic books - one of which could be as you say above.

You could have a whole range of possibilities - I think that'd make a really cool graphic novel tie-in. Pay attention, AMC, nevermind rush-job videogames - this is a cool idea for a bit of tie-in merchandise.