Thread: Best (DVD/Blue Ray) versions?

Administrator

England

Best (DVD/Blue Ray) versions?

OK, we have the best DVD version thread - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...-or-Soundtrack

Anyone care to comment on:-
    1) Is that still upto date/correct?
    2) What the best Blue Ray versions are?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As far as I know, those DVD versions are still correct.

As for Blu Ray, there are currently only one release each for Dawn and Day in Region 1:

Still no Night Blu Ray on R1....

Administrator

England
    I believe that Anchor Bay Day of the Dead release is suppose to be better (picture quality) than the Arrow one? ie: The one we have available here in the UK?

That said I think the Arrow one has more extras!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not sure about the picture quality differences(looking that up now), but I know the Arrow release definitely has more extras. I think it has a Q&A appearance with Pilato and a few others, but nothing from the filming of Day, if im not mistaken.

EDIT: After searching some hi def forums it appears the UK Arrow release of Day does indeed have a lower picture quality than the US Anchor Bay release. I've also seen a few members suggest the UK Arrow release of Dawn has a slightly better picture quality than the US Anchor Bay release, but I've seen no real confirmation on that yet.

If i'm not mistaken, the UK currently has a Blu Ray release of Night, is that correct? The US, for whatever reason, still doesn't have Night on the format, so i'm curious to know how the R2 version holds up and if it's worth an import?
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Mar-2013 at 01:41 PM.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm not sure about the picture quality differences(looking that up now), but I know the Arrow release definitely has more extras. I think it has a Q&A appearance with Pilato and a few others, but nothing from the filming of Day, if im not mistaken.

EDIT: After searching some hi def forums it appears the UK Arrow release of Day does indeed have a lower picture quality than the US Anchor Bay release. I've also seen a few members suggest the UK Arrow release of Dawn has a slightly better picture quality than the US Anchor Bay release, but I've seen no real confirmation on that yet.

If i'm not mistaken, the UK currently has a Blu Ray release of Night, is that correct? The US, for whatever reason, still doesn't have Night on the format, so i'm curious to know how the R2 version holds up and if it's worth an import?
    US release of Night - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-...8/#UserReviews

I have the UK version (Optimum Entertainment) picture is nice and sharp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-The-Li...3020874&sr=8-2
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I stand corrected. Although the reviews aren't exactly encouraging....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    US release of Night - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-...8/#UserReviews

I have the UK version (Optimum Entertainment) picture is nice and sharp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-The-Li...3020874&sr=8-2
    Annoying thing is, from a pure quality version, you'd want the "Network" version, not "Optimum".... Although it doesn't come with the documentary!

But then it's missing footage which is just bonkers!:-
    This biggest issue with Network‘s presentation, however, is the amount of footage that’s missing (a little more than half a minute). Some of it amounts to a few frames lost to splices here and there, as at the end of the opening “An Image Ten Production” credit, though more substantial losses are also evident (a long shot of the truck driving through the zombie horde is cut quite short), particularly around the reel changes (as is the case with the late-film dialogue scene concerning Barbara’s crashed car, which is missing several lines).
    See what you make of this http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/03/blu...e-living-dead/
    -Carl Sagan