Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x13 "Arrow on the Doorpost" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 3x13 "Arrow on the Doorpost" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Keep discussion of 3x13 "Arrow on the Doorpost" within this thread only.

Don't talk about the episode in the shoutbox.

Comic book spoilers must be put into spoiler tags (not everyone has read the comics). If you don't know how to use spoiler tags, go to the HPOTD FAQ and look up the section on 'BB Codes'.

The Walking Dead Episode 313: “Arrow on the Doorpost” – In an effort to prevent any more deaths, Rick and the Governor meet to come up with a peace treaty. Written By: Ryan C. Coleman, Directed By: David Boyd
    Previously also known as "Pale Horse".

Preview pics & vids here for those of a tempted disposition:
    http://dailydead.com/the-walking-dea...m-episode-313/

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Erm... was that it?

am I missing something?

seriously?

United States
    Initial reaction is I felt a little let down. Opening was tense but then it faded. I did enjoy the side butt shot of Maggie immensely

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Initial reaction is I felt a little let down. Opening was tense but then it faded. I did enjoy the side butt shot of Maggie immensely
    Having to stretch the season to 16 episodes; it's almost a given to have to slow the pace down a bit.

With that said, I thought it was a good effort and offered a few exchanges never before seen yet. I liked it.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 11-Mar-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typo
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dead

United States
    Not what I was expecting at all. The entire episode was just tension building.

Rick could've ended it all real quick. And that's what really would've and should've happened. Or vice versa.
    It was definitely an odd episode. I was expecting the showdown to begin.

I think Milton is gonna be the one!?

Dying

United States

Might be the worst episode of the season so far. It was pretty intense as things played out, but it is hard to believe these two groups could meet up and have an amicable discussion without it ending in hostility or violence. Don't even remember much of the episode, and it just ended a little over an hour ago. Not BAD by any means, just seemed to drag a bit too much.

Best part was Daryl and Martinez having a little contest in killing Walkers. Like how Daryl managed to snag a victory with the cleverly placed knife toss. The cigarette exchange was great as well.

"Nah, I only like menthol."
    "Douchebag."

I don't think Andrea is dumb for going back with the Governor. I think she's going to try and end it from the inside, especially now that she is under the impression the Governor raped Maggie.

The prison section was all right. Good for you, Glenn! Just don't forget to pull out, brah, you guys don't need another baby to look after FFS. And they really make Merle out to be a beast, easily overpowering Glenn and Maggie, and still seemingly having the upper hand when Michonne jumps in. Beth shooting the gun was a nice touch.

Not much Carol in this one, or Carl really either. I get the feeling he might put Merle down.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Having to stretch the season to 16 episodes; it's almost a given to have to slow the pace down a bit.
    The calm before the storm?

The part where Milton wanted to see Herschel's stump is the best. Milton lobbed one up, and Herschel hit it clear out of the ballpark.
    Nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce.

United States
    Started out strong, but faded at the end, Kind of like sex without an orgasm... Anticlimactic!
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Twitching

United States
    Meh,
    The episode was necessary, but the fact that they still have Rick agonizing over whether or not to hand over Michonne when he says himself the Gov would kill them anyways kinda irked me. I mean break down the thought process there to sign off on handing Michonne over. "I know she's saved pretty much EVERYONE IN THE GROUP'S LIVES, and I'm 97.5% sure the Governor would take her, kill her, and come after us anyways...but on the 2.5% chance that he wouldn't I'm going to destroy my credibility, nay, my very ability to function within the group as its leader, by handing one of ours over as a sacrificial peace offering."

Hell, had TG NOT instructed Milton to set up an ambush to kill Rick and all his best fighters I would've been shocked. What bugs me is that no matter how spineless, how weak a man, Milton can't help but realize that the Governor staying in power means that from now until the Governor dies of old age, and likely wouldn't even stop then because his chosen successor would be just as much a sociopath, that every single human being the Governor becomes aware of and can't completely 100% dominate will be killed.

I just can't imagine anyone but a psychopath or another sociopath knowingly backing what amounts to a Stalin or Hitler. I don't know, I'm having a hard time articulating my problem with how it's going...maybe it's as simple as I can't get immersed in the Gov's villainy because he just seems like a caricature to me. His master plan of manipulation is "Give me Michonne, and I promise I won't kill you all....and please ignore the fact I routinely murder people who trust me, betray those who work closely with me, and use my own people as cannon fodder." C'mon now.

I'm still hoping the Season ending comes on a high note. Not so sure how satisfying the Gov being offed by one of his own would be after all this. I agree that the episode kinda functions as a placeholder.

England
    Unlike much of the internet, I loved this episode. Loved it. We all clearly want different things from our zombie media but I love tense situations like this.
    I've actually stopped contributing to websites and reading others because I find I enjoy the episodes immensely UNTIL I look on the internet and I start to question my own judgement.
    Great setup for what's to come.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I liked the episode. It was a necessary episode, in which different things got settled or set on certain paths. Not every episode is going to be slam-bang action, so an episode like this is needed to ratchet up the tension before all the poop hits the wall! We all know its coming; this episode made it inevitable.

It's too bad that Rick and the Governor couldn't get along as well as their people did. Of course, thats the tragedy of it all, isn't it? One jerkass can cause so much unnecessary destruction and chaos...

Ireland
    Yeh, it's a "setup" episode. Next weeks should be better if the makers have played their cards right.

But, I felt that there should have been an episode before this one? Or at least a few scenes describing the efforts to get the meeting established. It sort of felt out of place. Episodes 12 - 13 feel very disjointed.

Grand overall though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Good episode - a slow burner, yes, but it needed to be.

I found myself being quite tense - even just watching Glenn and Maggie get closer again had me on the edge of my seat. After Axel I was fearing a random surprise bullet would appear out of nowhere and stuff everything up - but THANKFULLY it didn't.

Clearly the end, particularly for Team Prison, is all about setting up all the dominoes and not all of them are going to be left standing by the end. I also liked this episode for it's exploration, at times, of leadership in a tough situation - e.g. Rick only confiding the truth in Hershel (the group's sage and elder statesman) because they need to be scared for their lives in order to have the best chance of weathering the storm that is coming. It was also interesting to have Rick pose the question of whether Hershel can risk his daughters' lives over the one life of an outsider (or rather, very recent insider) ... but yeah, as he said, Woodbury would come back to finish the job regardless.

So yeah, a quite episode, but there was lots of interesting things throughout when you get to thinking about them, I felt - like The Governor having scouts hidden around the prison to keep an eye on them (Woodbury now know that they're tooled up).

Speaking of which - the gun table - yep, that's a healthy stash of weapons and ammo. See, it wasn't just one medium sized bag.

One question though - the steel dinner tables on the walkway - why are they stacked up on the other side? They're stacked on a side facing a huge wall and a sealed door, rather than how they were a couple of episodes prior, facing the ruddy direction in which they'll likely be attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post

With that said, I thought it was a good effort and offered a few exchanges never before seen yet. I liked it.
    Part of me wonders what they'll do for three episodes (I was actually thinking there were two more episodes, then the "next week on" voice over reminded me it was actually three more to go), but it's definitely a must to slow the pace down before a grand finale. It'd be utterly silly to have the pedel to the metal for the entire run, particularly as it would be severely limiting for the writers, but it would also prove to be very unsatisfying very quickly and it'd just been cannon fodder for 13 year old tossers. So it's a GOOD thing, definitely, to shift the pace about - this was one all about tension building - the calm before the storm - heck, not an awful lot happens in Volume 7 of the trade paperbacks, and then EVERYTHING happens in Volume 8, and that made it work all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    It was pretty intense as things played out, but it is hard to believe these two groups could meet up and have an amicable discussion without it ending in hostility or violence. Don't even remember much of the episode, and it just ended a little over an hour ago. Not BAD by any means, just seemed to drag a bit too much.

Best part was Daryl and Martinez having a little contest in killing Walkers. Like how Daryl managed to snag a victory with the cleverly placed knife toss. The cigarette exchange was great as well.

I don't think Andrea is dumb for going back with the Governor. I think she's going to try and end it from the inside, especially now that she is under the impression the Governor raped Maggie.
    The Germans and the Allies played football with each other on Christmas Day during World War I, and then the next day they were back to slaughtering each other, so it's totally reasonable that two disparate groups with their own weaknesses would come together to size each other up and possibly arrange a truce for different reasons (for Woodbury the reason is to lure Team Prison into a false sense of security and then betray them, but they're not that dumb).

I too enjoyed the Daryl/Martinez contest. Same goes for Milton and Hershel's chat - in any other circumstances these people could be friends, heck, if they'd come together in a different post-apocalypse context, they still could have been allies. I think they're aiming to have Milton join Team Prison (with Andrea taking him with him, I'd guess), and there was an interesting little point to make about the inevitability of bloodshed in this scenario - Daryl and Martinez both know it's going to happen, but you can tell that neither of them want it, and yet they'll probably have to face off against one another and it's even stakes in their eyes.

I can imagine there'll be a wave of anti-Andrea memes coming, or whining etc ... but she has to go back in order to facilitate an extraction for Milton (that's what I'm assuming will happen, anyway) ... plus she might be going back to try and see if she can take him out after all, now that she knows something shifty went down between him and Maggie. In the closing moments though, her exchange with The Governor was a little oddly played, so I felt anyway, I wasn't quite sure whether Andrea was taking his word for it, or whether she was suspicious/not believing him at all ... just a slight niggle with that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Unlike much of the internet, I loved this episode. Loved it. We all clearly want different things from our zombie media but I love tense situations like this.
    I've actually stopped contributing to websites and reading others because I find I enjoy the episodes immensely UNTIL I look on the internet and I start to question my own judgement.
    Great setup for what's to come.
    I rather enjoyed this episode too - deep into the characters, and it was good to see Rick and Philip face-off - we need that time with them both on-screen, and we got it in the comics, so we want it here too. Each side has to size each other up, and in some ways it's a bit of a pissing contest. Plus it's some business that needs taking care of - you have to allow some of these possibilities for the characters to play out, otherwise you're just skipping over steps in the season arc.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, it's a "setup" episode. Next weeks should be better if the makers have played their cards right.

But, I felt that there should have been an episode before this one? Or at least a few scenes describing the efforts to get the meeting established. It sort of felt out of place. Episodes 12 - 13 feel very disjointed.

Grand overall though.
    Not sure if I'd agree on "disjointed", but yes it is a build up/set up/tension building episode - but so many shows have those, they're a necessary step.

Naturally, I've knocked up some memes for the episode...
    http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...383#post295383

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The Germans and the Allies played football with each other on Christmas Day during World War I, and then the next day they were back to slaughtering each other, so it's totally reasonable that two disparate groups with their own weaknesses would come together to size each other up and possibly arrange a truce for different reasons (for Woodbury the reason is to lure Team Prison into a false sense of security and then betray them, but they're not that dumb).
    I didn't know that Allies and Nazis played football, that's very interesting. I can't help but imagine Nazis wearing modernized NFL jerseys with giant swastikas and ridiculously long German names on the back of them that barely fit on the shirt.

This entire episode was very intense, the music really helped play up the intensity, and as I watched it there was a palatable sense of dread, that things could turn any second. This got a bit old by the very last bit of the episode, the negotiations maybe went a bit too long. Even when Rick was drinking the whiskey I was thinking "He roofied that, Rick, just like he did with Andrea and Karen, its a trap!"

Speaking of music, Iron Maiden and Def Leppard had a soccer match before. (Or futbol, as they call probably call it.)

I too enjoyed the Daryl/Martinez contest. Same goes for Milton and Hershel's chat - in any other circumstances these people could be friends, heck, if they'd come together in a different post-apocalypse context, they still could have been allies. I think they're aiming to have Milton join Team Prison (with Andrea taking him with him, I'd guess), and there was an interesting little point to make about the inevitability of bloodshed in this scenario - Daryl and Martinez both know it's going to happen, but you can tell that neither of them want it, and yet they'll probably have to face off against one another and it's even stakes in their eyes.
    Hershel is awesome. One of the standouts in the show. He's a perfect voice of reason, and I'm almost glad they gave him Dales position in the group. It would have been interesting to see Hershel and the Governor have a chat.
    Comic Dale >>> Comic Hershel
    Show Hershel >>> Show Dale

I think you're right, looks like they're setting up Milton to join the prison.

I can imagine there'll be a wave of anti-Andrea memes coming, or whining etc ... but she has to go back in order to facilitate an extraction for Milton (that's what I'm assuming will happen, anyway) ... plus she might be going back to try and see if she can take him out after all, now that she knows something shifty went down between him and Maggie. In the closing moments though, her exchange with The Governor was a little oddly played, so I felt anyway, I wasn't quite sure whether Andrea was taking his word for it, or whether she was suspicious/not believing him at all ... just a slight niggle with that moment.
    It seemed like she was pretending to take it all in stride, and was trying to mask her anger / suspicion, but doing a terrible job at hiding it. That whole scene played out kind of strange, I thought, because of the music accompanying it. Not sure if that song worked or not - they did something similar with the end of last weeks episode, so to immediately fall back into it...I don't know, I don't want this to turn into Sons of Anarchy with montages opening and closing every episode. I actually would enjoy Kurt Sutter getting brought into the writers room for Walking Dead though, even if for just an episode or two. Or to help construct the Hunters arc. Or something.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 11-Mar-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: dsfgtfh

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    I didn't know that Allies and Nazis played football, that's very interesting. I can't help but imagine Nazis wearing modernized NFL jerseys with giant swastikas and ridiculously long German names on the back of them that barely fit on the shirt.
    MZ's talking about the mans game of football. You know, the one with a round ball that you kick with your foot. FOOTball
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA