Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need super high quality flyboy in lift (elevator) image

Australia
    If you still need a screenshot, I can help you out, Neil. Lemme know!
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Could you help me out too Griff? I need a screenshot for the same purpose.

Administrator

England
    So far I've got one from a bluray. However, on cropping it down to just Flyboy and the lift, it appear basically the same as the image in the OP, and not as sharp or well contrasted. It's beginning to look as if the example in the OP is as good as it might get?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    Could you help me out too Griff? I need a screenshot for the same purpose.
    I'd be happy to - only I'm about to fly outta town for work. I won't be home for the next week. Can you wait till then?
    Last edited by Griff; 16-Apr-2013 at 06:15 AM.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Of course!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

What Neil said. Thanks Griff.

Australia
    Okay, I'm back home. Neil, I'll get your pic within a day or two. Jscott, are you after the exact same screenshot?
    Last edited by Griff; 23-Apr-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Administrator

England
    Ta... Yes he's after the same sort of thing... for the same reason
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    What are you guys doing with this anyway? If you don't mind me asking...

Administrator

England
    I have a small piece of the wood cladding from the lift/elevator. So I want to put it in a small picture frame with a picture of flyboy and the elevator behind it.
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    I have a screen grab of the blu-ray in 720p. I don't know if they did a 1080p version or not.

vlcsnap-2013-04-24-02h49m20s176.jpg

By uploading it the image was shrunk. The one on my computer is 1280x720(720p). I can take one at any particular time in the film if the one I posted isn't the exact one you want. Just let me know the time and where to send the full size image to.
    Last edited by babomb; 24-Apr-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Thanks...

Have to say though from what I've see this is the image to be so far... And maybe this is as good as it get?

-Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    How did you get that one? If it's just a DVD grab that was cropped, which it seems like, a grab from an HD source cropped in the exact same way will be better than that. In the image you have there I can see visible haloing on all the edges and artifacts that come from upscaling an image. That will come through in the print big time.
    If you're gonna print it out yourself there's some other considerations. Computer monitors and HDTV's display images in RGB(red-green-blue). Printers print images in CMYK(cyan-magenta-yellow-black). So if you print the image yourself you'll have to convert the images color profile to CMYK or it won't print right regardless of the quality of the image. It's not difficult to do, you just have to have an image editing app like photoshop. I assume you want it to look as good as possible for the purpose. So unless you convert the image you choose to print to the CMYK print profile, it will have color problems, which usually results in too much blue making it look like a printed TV screen.

After doing a comparison of your image and the 720p capture I did it looks like your image was just brightened a little bit. Which is also easy to do. And no matter where the screen grab comes from it will have to still be brightened and converted to CMYK before printing to make it look like you want it to. The difference will be that an HD screen grab won't have the haloing and artifacts that the image you posted has. The image you posted is from the web, so it's using an RGB color profile. It will still have to be converted to CMYK in order to print right.
    Last edited by babomb; 24-Apr-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Just found it on the internet. I now think it's a 1080p frame that's just been cropped down...
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

United States
    It's also been edited to lighten it up. But it looks like it's been upscaled. I can tell by the artifacts in the smaller detailed areas. That could also be from someone doing a bad job lightening it. The dimensions of the image are 1000x644. So it was probably a 720p grab cropped from 1280x720 down to 1000x644. A 1080p grab would be 1920x1080, so the quality would be greater still.
    If Griff gets you a native 1080p grab, you can email me the image and I can lighten it and convert the profile so it will print right. Unless you plan to have it printed by a service or something, then they'll do all that before it's printed. But it's not difficult and not something to pay a bunch of money for. It only takes 5 minutes, I've done it a million times.
    Last edited by babomb; 24-Apr-2013 at 08:50 AM.