Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing my son to horror - Starting off with 1930's Universal horror

Administrator

England

Introducing my son to horror - Starting off with 1930's Universal horror

So now my son is 10, I thought I'd carefully introduce him to the horror genre. I thought a nice way of doing this would be via some of the classic b&w Universal horror films which I used to love as a kid.

We started with the classic "The Invisible Man" - which in my book is really more scifi than horror - and he really enjoyed it. It was interesting discussing it later when he got the slight heebee-jeebies about the idea if the invisible man was in his room, he really wouldn't know. That said, he laughed it off and was fine.

On to "The Wolf Man" next...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Good man.

I jumped in at the deep end, as I've said elsewhere, aged 9 with "Alien" and "The Fly II", but those were horror/sci-fi combos, and it was the sci-fi element that made it okay for me to watch them (them being a step up from action sci-fi such as The Terminator and T2), and yet when I was that age - and older - I wasn't allowed to see Poltergeist (which was rated PG-13 in America, if I'm right in thinking).

Then again, Ghostbusters was one of my favourite movies as a kid (and remains one of my all-time faves to this day), and that's got plenty of spooky goings on at an introductory level - so I think I was more drawn to horror elements from a young age.

Glad your boy dug "The Invisible Man" - I got into some of the Universal monster movies during my early teens - but I didn't see "T.I.M." until quite recently (but I loved it). Actually, I thought the film was quite dark in some regards, more so than many other such films of the time, there's a real mean streak within the movie (but in a good way), and it's wonderful in visual terms too. A genuine classic. The follow-up just didn't size-up to it, though ... the sequel was alright, but it just didn't match the first film's sheer brilliance.

"The Wolf Man" - another classic, and one that I enjoyed as a young teen (this was around the same time as I was digging into much gorier and scarier flicks like The Evil Dead and various slasher movies and of course Uncle George's flicks - Day of the Dead was my first intro to his work and I was blown away by it - it was a real eye opener!)

My discovery of horror was mostly as a result of my own curiosity, rather than being shepharded through the genre, so he should have a really good appreciation for the genre. I think that's a cool way to get into horror - go chronologically with the classics and gradually build him up.

Administrator

England
    I think there's one or two more (Universal) invisible man films, so we'll probably visit those too
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    What age is the boy Neil? I remember my parents were quite liberal with films for me from a young age. Although, they were a generation and a half older than me (I was a late accident). I suppose they just didn't know how to properly censor stuff for me.

I remember seeing 'Alien', 'The Omen', 'An American Werewolf in London', 'Halloween I, II and III' and a host of other classics, including the Universal stuff, which I considered second tier entertainment even then. They were more of an excuse to stay up late. Frankly, none of them had the impact that 'Jaws' had on me.

My parents seemed more concerned with the "sexy stuff". People getting ripped apart was perfectly fine.

However, this fecker below was THE largest "scary" thing in my early childhood. He haunted my dreams for years.

Attachment 1222
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    You should have threw him into the shark tank like my dad did with me at age 4 or 5. Creepshow

I watched the world cable debut in the early 80's. I am glad my mom was at an art show that night.

United States

You're doing it the right way, Neil. I was evil, I started showing my son stuff like the original Nightmare on Elm Street, some of the Friday the 13th's (first 4), and a few others as his "introduction to horror."

Not sure how many read my post a while back about it, but ANOES spooked the ever-living shit out of me at age 12 - but my son, who was only a year older than I was when I saw it for the first time, wasn't phased at all by the film. Go figure.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 14-Mar-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    you cannot go wrong with Universal. great choice.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    you cannot go wrong with Universal. great choice.
    The effects for The Invisible Man must have really have freaked people out 80yrs ago!
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As others have said, you picked a perfect place to start.

Next you should just screw his mind up and show him The Thing or The Fly.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As others have said, you picked a perfect place to start.

Oh you brilliant, evil bastard.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The effects for The Invisible Man must have really have freaked people out 80yrs ago!
    i bet they did. there's some damn creative camera work in that flick.

wasn't that Claude Rains' first movie? or was it his first starring role? can't remember and am too lazy to look it up right now.

you should show him "The Thing From Another World." that has always been one of my absolute fav movies. it doesn't have anything really over the top in it.

Administrator

England
    wasn't that Claude Rains' first movie? or was it his first starring role? can't remember and am too lazy to look it up right now.
    His first real film I believe...

you should show him "The Thing From Another World." that has always been one of my absolute fav movies. it doesn't have anything really over the top in it.
    You know... I don't ever recall watching that!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'll second that!

Talk about childhood trauma..

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    His first real film I believe...

You know... I don't ever recall watching that!
    exsqueeze me? the 50's version, produced by howard hawks? that's one of the best scifi films ever! go out, find it and watch it.

on a different note: i showed my son the werewolf transformation scene from "American Werewolf in London" when he was about 3 1/2 - 4. he flipped over it. looked me and said "that's the coolest thing i've ever seen!"

he's been hooked since.
    Last edited by Mike70; 15-Mar-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: d

United States
    i showed my son the werewolf transformation scene from "American Werewolf in London" when he was about 3 1/2 - 4. he flipped over it. looked me and said "that's the coolest thing i've ever seen!"

he's been hooked since.
    At that age?! And he didn't completely flip his shit and end up traumatized?! I'm impressed!