Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing my son to horror - Starting off with 1930's Universal horror

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    exsqueeze me? the 50's version, produced by howard hawks? that's one of the best scifi films ever! go out, find it and watch it.

on a different note: i showed my son the werewolf transformation scene from "American Werewolf in London" when he was about 3 1/2 - 4. he flipped over it. looked me and said "that's the coolest thing i've ever seen!"

he's been hooked since.
    The 50's Thing rocked! US Military with it's wise crackin Joes, equally cool dame ( Margaret Sheridan, one of my pinup heroines as a kid ) and Marshall Dillon as the Mewing Monster Veginator from another world. Watch the skies - and this film.

Ok, was that too fanboy just now?

Oh, and show him the original Fly with Vincent Price and Al Hedison ( later David ) of Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea fame.
    Pretty faithful to the source story by George Langelaan, with a few shock moments (though not gory by today's standards )
    That deal with the industrial press always freaked me out.

Wayne Z

Ned "Scotty" Scott: Here's the sixty-four dollar question - what do you do with a vegetable?
    Nikki: Boil it.
    Ned "Scotty" Scott: What did you say?
    Nikki: Boil it... bake it... stew it... fry it?

The Thing from Another World

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    The 50's Thing rocked! US Military with it's wise crackin Joes, equally cool dame ( Margaret Sheridan, one of my pinup heroines as a kid ) and Marshall Dillon as the Mewing Monster Veginator from another world. Watch the skies - and this film.

Ok, was that too fanboy just now?

Oh, and show him the original Fly with Vincent Price and Al Hedison ( later David ) of Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea fame.
    Pretty faithful to the source story by George Langelaan, with a few shock moments (though not gory by today's standards )
    That deal with the industrial press always freaked me out.

Wayne Z

Ned "Scotty" Scott: Here's the sixty-four dollar question - what do you do with a vegetable?
    Nikki: Boil it.
    Ned "Scotty" Scott: What did you say?
    Nikki: Boil it... bake it... stew it... fry it?

The Thing from Another World
    What Wayzim said above, and Mike70 before him!

Great film. When I think of classic scifi black and white that I grew up seeing on Saturday or Sunday afternoons on local TV or cable, this is the film that comes to mind!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Fiend without a Face is creepy for a 50's movie. Rather, bloody, too.

Undisclosed
    My oldest son is four and really into music. (at the moment he's listening to the new Foals album non stop) Last summer I decided to show him Jacksons' Thriller video. He loved the zombies and has stumbled through the house, slouching and limping and moaning, on a regular basis ever since. Good times.

My parents were completely irresponsible where censorship is concerned. I remember they took me to a screening of The Shining in a local cinema when i was ten or eleven. Needless to say I was scared beyond belief. Liked the feeling though and relentlessy started hitting the horror section of the local video library a couple of years later when we got a VHS, somewhere in the mid eighties.

Classics I used to love as kid were the Vincent Price starred 'House of Wax' and of course 'The Raven.' The Corman Poe's are pretty sweet for a kid I think.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    My oldest son is four and really into music. (at the moment he's listening to the new Foals album non stop) Last summer I decided to show him Jacksons' Thriller video. He loved the zombies and has stumbled through the house, slouching and limping and moaning, on a regular basis ever since. Good times.

My parents were completely irresponsible where censorship is concerned. I remember they took me to a screening of The Shining in a local cinema when i was ten or eleven. Needless to say I was scared beyond belief. Liked the feeling though and relentlessy started hitting the horror section of the local video library a couple of years later when we got a VHS, somewhere in the mid eighties.

Classics I used to love as kid were the Vincent Price starred 'House of Wax' and of course 'The Raven.' The Corman Poe's are pretty sweet for a kid I think.
    I was such a huge Corman fan ( still am ) growing up, even when I didn't quite understand the intelligence behind such schlocky pictures. The man knew exactly what he wanted to get from each film, what his resources were, how to manipulate the audience ( much as William Castle did ) - and he helped to invent a genre of movies along the way.

I remember reciting a Corman quote at some panel I'd done at a Sci Fi convention. He'd given this advice to some young film maker he'd been grooming, when the directer was doing some night shooting. She'd asked him about getting a few arc lights and other equipment to better illuminate the scene, and of course he shot back, "You have cars, don't you? They have headlights, don't they? Use those. "
    The only guy to date who really understood that was John Carpenter - and probably George Romero.

My fav Corman film to date is 'The Undead. ' (57) which you can actually find on youtube, one of his most inventive and enjoyable movies.

Way Zim
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...er_corman.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post

My parents were completely irresponsible where censorship is concerned. I remember they took me to a screening of The Shining in a local cinema when i was ten or eleven. Needless to say I was scared beyond belief.
    one of the first times my parents trusted me to stay alone for a few hours with my brother while they went out for a bit (i was probably 13 or so, maybe 12). we decided to turn off the lights and watch "The Exorcist" on cable. needless to say, that put me off of green kool-aid for a long time...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    My oldest was really interested in some classic horror recently, so we checked out both Dracula & Frankenstein, both of which she enjoyed immensely. She's keen to see The Wolfman as soon as I get a copy.

United States
    Let my 4 year old watch Tremors I and II this weekend.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Let my 4 year old watch Tremors I and II this weekend.
    Hmmm...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    hehe, I would have normally thought 4 is a bit young for Tremors - the first one particularly - but then again I don't know the kid. Hopefully Mr.Clean Junior dug the flicks though - I'm a big fan of the Tremors movies. I think I was getting into Tremors around 8 to 10 years old I think.

I remember going into the video rental shop - before the days of surfing the web - and my jaw hitting the floor as I saw "Tremors 2" had just been released. I got in on that straight away and enjoyed it immensely. The first two rock (the original, naturally, being the king of them all), and then the third feels rushed and under-funded, but enjoyable nonetheless, and the fourth was one that I initially hated, but then grew to like, even if Tremors 4 was quite perfunctory in terms of plot (the characters all learning stuff we fans already know). I enjoyed the TV series too, and was hoping we'd get a Tremors 5, but it seems everything's gone quiet on that front after suggestions it could happen after the DVD release of the TV series.

United States
    lol There seems to be some struggling with the logic in how I choose to censor my child. So allow me to explain. I don't let him(my 4 year old) watch anything where people are torturing other people as far as scary movies go nor do I allow him to watch sexual content. We also try to minimize bad language but he does know pretty much every "bad" word out there now and knows that he isn't to repeat them and what will happen if he does. All kids are different when it comes to what they can handle and how what they see effects them. We explain to him the difference between fiction and reality. For example, it was rather easy to explain how giant worms that want to eat you don't really exist. We did let him watch parts of Skyfall this weekend and he got confused who was the bad guys when the bad guy was dressed up like a cop.