Thread: Saints Row 4 (video game) coming August 23rd 2013 - and it looks totally bonkers!

Super Moderator

UK

Saints Row 4 (video game) coming August 23rd 2013 - and it looks totally bonkers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9K0y8vEGE

I for one absolutely enjoyed the hell out of Saints Row 3 (aside from a couple of minor quibbles that they'll hopefully fix in this title), and personally I felt it was the best one of the lot (even if a few things were missing from earlier games - again, hopefully that'll be rectified here). It seems they're going even crazier this time around, if you can believe it (SR3 was pretty nuts).

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

I took a spin through the trailer and did a little analysis to pinpoint a few things we can pick out from the teaser trailer and did a little blog about it:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/saints-row-iv-teaser-trailer-analysis.html

Sci-Fi and super powers seem to be the main course here.

United States
    The powersuit thing looks sweet....kind of annoyed by how short SR3 was so I'll skip out on this one or at least wait til it's a classic hit 20 dollar title

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    The powersuit thing looks sweet....kind of annoyed by how short SR3 was so I'll skip out on this one or at least wait til it's a classic hit 20 dollar title
    Short in terms of the story? Or overall amount of gameplay?

I got a good 50 hours out of it when I came to trade it in ... but on the other hand, I got 200 hours out of GTA IV.

I would have really liked to have had the option to replay individual missions. I ended up replaying the game - even though it meant losing everything about my character (which is a bit bloody daft, when you think about it - who wants to be bothered upgrading yourself all over again?!), but got up to a certain point and didn't want to continue with re-doing the campaign. It was really, really, really good fun the first time around, but less-so the second time around for the above reasons.

So instead I ran around causing havoc in the buff.

And yet GTA IV was better able to drag me into its world - I was content to just drive around, boost cars, do sweet jumps and so on ... for all the utterly enjoyable craziness that SR3 has/had, it wore thin after a while. I'll definitely be up for the fourth title, but with GTA V out so soon afterwards, I too will probably buy it on a sale - with GTA V's release, I can easily see this getting a bit battered by it, thus leading to considerable price reductions.

It still looks like jolly good fun though - but GTA V is the big prize we've all been after.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm definitely up for playing this - but with GTA V launching the month after, I'll probably wait for SR4 to be on-sale before I get it (e.g. in the Xmas sales) ... although I wouldn't be surprised if there were some tasty price drops on this once GTA V explodes onto the scene.

It looks fun, but we've not seen an awful lot of it yet, and I'm still not sure how much of it is going to be this 'super powers and aliens' stuff. I really enjoyed SR3 - indeed the games have improved each time - but I'm unsure whether SR4 will beat SR3 over-all. Hopefully we'll get much more footage and general info soon.

Administrator

England
    ^ I agree. I don't think SR4 is a full pricer for me... I'll wait for it to be on a good offer from Steam.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Gameplay teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKhZjF4RqQM

Aside from various changes, visually it looks identical to SR3 - so they're probably more playing around with what they've already established. Still confused about this idea of a virtual Steelport, and this alien invasion stuff (as in, is there a "normal" world too? Is the entire game set in a 'virtual' world?) ... yeah ... I'll get it on sale, but I'll definitely get it.

It does look like jolly good fun, even if - so far anyway - there's nothing earth-shatteringly new about anything we've seen thus far (e.g. Mech Mayhem is just Tank Mayhem ... with a Mech ... cool, but just the same-but-different). More Saints Row is obviously a good thing, but thus far it hasn't earned a Day One Full Price purchase from me ... and GTA V is going to be a problem for it, but it does have a hardcore set of fans and a growing fanbase, and it does provide a counterpoint to GTA ... although GTA is where the nerdgasms really pop.

Super Moderator

UK
    An interview with one of the game makers about some of the stuff you'll be able to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUsR3vxyDE

Should be good fun then.