Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escape From New York remake (film) - Jason Statham or Tom Hardy

Administrator

England

Escape From New York remake (film) - Jason Statham or Tom Hardy

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jason...ake-36610.html

Gerard Butler was rumored once, but now we seem to have Jason Statham or Tom Hardy?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Oh f*cking no.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Oh f*cking no.
    Would it be better if it were Jason Statham or Tom Hardy in "Escape from Picadilly Circus"?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    em...no

England
    I don't mind remakes if they are ok, but you are going to have to hunt long and hard to find a modern actor who can replace Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    This is about as dumb an idea as when he went to L.A.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    This is about as dumb an idea as when he went to L.A.

Aye, it was essentially a remake in itself.

I really see no need to remake EFNY - just like with RoboCop - I don't see how they can do it any better.

Out of the names bandied about - Tom Hardy - but generally speaking this is totally not needed. What would be better, if they really must return to this property rather than come up with something original, is to do a sequel set even further into the future - it could be Snake Plissken's son and it could take place after Snake turned off all the power in Escape From L.A.

That would be better than just a sodding remake.

Administrator

England
    Still happening with Carpenter as a producer - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Escap...ils-69153.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh, I'd really rather prefer it if they just left the franchise alone.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ugh, I'd really rather prefer it if they just left the franchise alone.
    Well, we've got a new Mad Max on the way, so maybe there's room for a new Snake?

I'm not expecting much as it was a film of the 80s with all the darkness of the time (thread of nuclear war etc), so I'm not too sure how well it will get translated today. But fingers crossed! It might suprised us! My only worry is it will end up being certificate 12 nonsense!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, we've got a new Mad Max on the way, so maybe there's room for a new Snake?

I'm not expecting much as it was a film of the 80s with all the darkness of the time (thread of nuclear war etc), so I'm not too sure how well it will get translated today. But fingers crossed! It might suprised us! My only worry is it will end up being certificate 12 nonsense!
    I'd hardly be surprised if it ended up being PG-13/12A soft serve, I really wouldn't ... another watered down immitation.

The thing with Mad Max, though, is that it's a franchise that changed considerably from film-to-film. Two isn't anything like One, and Three barely resembles One or Two in many regards ... so there's an in-built thing of being used to seeing that change. However, the lead creative is heading up Fury Road and it seems to be aiming for Road Warrior territory (widely regarded as the best of the three flicks).

Escape From New York, on the other hand, is really a one-off. Escape From L.A. was the sequel, sure, but it was also essentially a remake and ... to be quite frank ... it's a bit shit. I still enjoy it because it's Kurt-mofo'ing-Russell as Snake-mofo'ing-Plissken (and some other elements, like Bruce Campbell and Steve Buscemi), but E.F.L.A. is miles wide of the glorious mark left by E.F.N.Y. The enduring love associated with it is very specifically because of that film itself ... this just smells more like a money grab at a familiar title rather than trying to provide us with something worthwhile.

Why not a sequel-that's-a-reboot-that's-a-sequel? Either Snake Plissken's son (who could be played by the actor's actual, own, real-life son Wyatt ), or another actor in the role of Snake, but taking place after the events of both EFNY and EFLA? So like Mad Max Fury Road essentially ... and that looks awesome.

Now, true, there have been good remakes - but many/most have been pointless or heartless or downright insulting (sometimes all three). It'd be grand if this new EFNY turned out to be super cool, but man ... why mess with something so iconic? Kurt Russell is Snake Plissken.

Some remakes have been excellent, but they're few in number and even then they divide opinion. For example, I thought the remake of "Maniac" was awesome, but it was helped by taking a very different approach to the material (all in first person, beautifully styled, kick ass synth soundtrack, and Elijah Wood went for the 'unsuspected guy next door psycho' angle).

*sigh*

I just don't know. In many ways I'd much prefer a film that essentially takes the vibe of EFNY but applies it to an "original" property ... Neil Marshall's "Doomsday" is, in many ways, akin to EFNY, but it's also it's own entity.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Escape from LA's ending doesn't really set it up for a sequel tho...

I agree on everything else. LA was shit, really shit. It's quite obviously just a remake of the original, but with a new setting and a new cast of colorful characters - except for Snake Plissken. Escape from NY was also grimmer, it seems to be. None of that surfboard business. Much of NY's scenes are just... so empty and quiet. The score was much more minimalistic too, which added to the eerie quality of the film. But LA makes the whole place seem as if it's bursting with life. NY is much scarier that way. It's truly an anarchistic society, whereas LA seems as if there's ad-hoc services all over the place. Bars, doctors, even an in-use basketball court.

I do think that the villain in LA was alright, tho. He played the part of latin american revolutionary hero - turned villain very well.

This is a remake that I think will be shit in the same vein that the Total Recall remake will be shit. And I say that without even having seen the total recall remake... But I can tell just by looking at the trailer that it's crap.

Ireland
    With 'Escape from LA', it was like Carpenter completely forgot what made 'Escape from New York' so great.

It could have been great, all the ingredients were there. But, it was just overcooked, or undercooked, who feckin knows.

And surfboards/Peter Fonda...fck sake.

I remember paying £12 to see that in Piccadilly. I came out of the cinema and felt like I was violated.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    With 'Escape from LA', it was like Carpenter completely forgot what made 'Escape from New York' so great.

It could have been great, all the ingredients were there. But, it was just overcooked, or undercooked, who feckin knows.

And surfboards/Peter Fonda...fck sake.

I remember paying £12 to see that in Piccadilly. I came out of the cinema and felt like I was violated.
    And that's back when £12 was £12!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    This is a remake that I think will be shit in the same vein that the Total Recall remake will be shit. And I say that without even having seen the total recall remake... But I can tell just by looking at the trailer that it's crap.
    I've seen the Total Recall remake and, indeed, it was abominable. Just a load of CGI flying about all over the place with a terrible plot. No tension, no intrigue, no fun, no idea what the hell was going on ... proper rubbish, so it was.