Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music of The Walking Dead

Scotland

Music of The Walking Dead

I was wondering what you guys thought about the music on TWD. If there were any pieces you particularly liked, closing episode songs you would
    change or music you think would suit the show ?

I thought the song selections for Season 3 weren't as strong as Season 2 with the exception of Motorhead during Merle's last stand.
    Generally I've liked the musical scores by Bear McCready throughout the whole show and IMO they compliment the visuals very well. Thoughts anyone ?

I liked these episode closers.

The Regulator by Clutch Se02x08 (Nebraska)

Civilian by Wye Oak Se02x09 (18 Miles Out)

The Hand by Bear McCready Se01x03 (Tell it to the Frogs)

Super Moderator

UK
    I love the music done by Bear McCreary on the show - some excellent stuff ... my most favourite piece is in 1x01 when they intercut between Morgan trying to shoot his undead wife and Rick tracking down Bicycle Girl to put her out of her misery ("The Mercy of the Living"). The piece that rounded out season 3 was also a superb bit of work too, but there's so many excellent pieces of music throughout.

I love the tracks they choose for the Comic-Con trailers - they're 3-for-3 on that front so far. They always get just the right track to take the lead and bring those trailers home. The first one was "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" by The Walker Brothers, the second was "Civilian" by Wye Oak (also used in "18 Miles Out" to excellent effect), and the third was "Black" by Kari Kimmel.

Also, as used at the end of "Guts" (1x02), "I'm A Man" by Black Strobe was a great choice as Glenn whoops and hollers in joy as he rides out of Atlanta in that muscle car.

One piece of music I didn't like was at the end of 3x14 when they do the final reveal to close out the episode - I don't think the track fit the tone at all and would have gone for something entirely different, or preferably, an orchestral piece by McCreary.

I would very much like it if they would release an official soundtrack CD crammed-full of cues from the show. The music is so good, and yet you can only find samples online (I'd gladly buy such a CD if it was put out there).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Apr-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Dying

United States
    I think they should hire me.

In all honesty, I feel like the music falls flat most of the time. It's not engaging enough - it's not prominent at all. There's no memorable themes or melodies that repeat, not enough dark tense atmosphere. In fact, I'd say the music is the biggest letdown of the series. Bear is just too understated - with a few exceptions.

I really like the Governors theme. (Even if I released the same exact freaking song a week earlier Seriously, I nearly shit my pants when the Governors theme played on the TV show, when Rick and co. first infiltrate Woodbury.) The pulsing synth hit harkens back to Goblins score for the scene in Dawn of the Dead in the apartment basement.

I also rather like the "Morgans Wife" theme that repeats throughout the series every now and again. We got it with Loris ghost, Morgans zombified wife, and then they played it when Glenn was getting a wedding ring for Maggie - that was a brilliant touch. It really left me uncertain on the couples future - that music usually signified tragedy, so it just left me feeling uneasy for it to repeat again out-of-context. Definitely very foreboding.

Some of Bears best work was in the Season 3 finale. The FIRST montage, with Carl looking at the badge...that song was awesome. One of the only songs that really stood out in the show. The second montage song of the episode? The A-Team Lite when Rick, Michonne and Daryl decided to bring the fight back to their enemies? Not so much. That song felt unfinished and underwhelming. Needed more bulkiness to it and a more climatic crescendo. It just kind of fizzles out. Really amateur, in fact.

I don't really care for the theme song. Very similar to Game of Thrones, in fact - both theme songs have a very repetitive motif that fails to be melodically pleasing. These motifs just border on being catchy, but fall short. John Williams and Basil Poledouris never had such problems. I like the IDEA of fading into Walking Deads theme different every week, that is brilliant actually! But usually it is executed in such a hackneyed fashion it makes me cringe.

I don't mind the Beth singing parts, even if they are sometimes a little drawn out. But usually when they drop straight up songs into an episode, it doesn't work as well as, say, Kurt Sutters cheesy music montages in Sons of Anarchy. The only one that really stayed with me was the acoustic folky number that plays at the end of Clear. That worked perfectly.

Merle listening to Motorhead was the best music moment on the show, in all honesty. Then cranking what I believe was Sammy Hagar? When he drove the car into the assault?

Another thing I would like to mention, is just the sound-design for atmospheric moments. There should be creepy, other-worldly sound effects playing when we see zombies. I'm not saying all-out 80s cheesy, but we SHOULD definitely get more callbacks to the 80s horror soundtracks, drenched in synthesizers and whatnot. I say this because Bear doesn't seem to really pull that much magic out of the more bland "Orchestra" tone of his soundtrack. If you're gonna make orchestral music for a series, you need to have an amazing knack for melody. It just sounds like all of Bears music runs together...there's no CHARACTER or PERSONALITY to his different themes (beyond the few I mentioned.) If you don't take the orchestra and really run with it, you just end up making music that sounds like any other Basic Cable drama. And that's exactly what most of the music on Walking Dead sounds like to me. The show deserves a more distinct musical direction than "String quartet, piano without dynamics, RINSE. REPEAT." Where are the french horns? The tubas? The woodwinds and REALLY LOW BRASS for creepiness? The synthesizers for creepy atmospheres and soundscapes? The Walking Dead needs a more visionary and innovative composer to take over or at least to help Bear out, because Bears music really leaves a LOT to be desired. Easily the worst part of the show. Again, not necessarily BAD by any means, just extremely BLAND and underwhelming.

Last note, the ACOUSTIC GUITAR THEY KEEP SHOWING. SOMEONE SHOW KNOW HOW TO F*CKING PLAY THAT! I would much prefer a solemn, almost Johnny Cash like character playing doom-laden hymns and singing in a dark, foreboding baritone than I would another Beth singing moment. That would be badass to open an episode, if handled correctly.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 06-Apr-2013 at 04:57 PM.

United States
    I love the opening theme. I just have a vivid memory of the anticipation for 01-01 and to finally see zombies on a tv series and this is the song that is attached to that for me.

I think the music throughout has been pretty good. I have no composition or music theory background but I like what I like. As mentioned above the Gov's theme is definitely a tone setter and tension builder.

Dying

United States
    Just to reference an idea I had stated above....

That's the closest I could find. Something even darker would be awesome. Then, maybe they stumble upon a new survivor that plays the keytar and we could get a cheesy romp for comedic effect like this scene....

Also, this sparks to mind...

...in terms of atmosphere. The vocals are kind of too 'nasally' to portray the kind of dark atmosphere that would be epic for Walking Dead.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    I think they should hire me. Last note, the ACOUSTIC GUITAR THEY KEEP SHOWING. SOMEONE SHOW KNOW HOW TO FUCKING PLAY THAT! I would much prefer a solemn, almost Johnny Cash like character playing doom-laden hymns and singing in a dark, foreboding baritone than I would another Beth singing moment. That would be badass to open an episode, if handled correctly.
    I'm with you there. It would be great to have a foreboding but simple arrangement of guitar and vocal to open the episode, and give some sort of subtle portent of what's to come. Handled tastefully of course, as you suggested, we don't want "troubadour of the dead".

I would also like to hear some new additions to the soundscape, though I think brass would be a tough one to pull off. Maybe if it was used sparingly for discordant effects. As lead instruments in the main score it would be a challenge IMO as TWD has a rural Georgian setting. I think strings work really well due to the setting, somehow brass seems to suggest a more urban feel. But what do I know, I only hit things. Maybe an atonal hammered dulcimer if it hasn't been used already, and if so, more of it. Great for those creepy unsettling moments.

I agree with MZ about the track at the end of 3x14 (Prey), I'd replace it with a suitable section from The Shadow of Love by The Damned or Nick Cave. The existing track is a bit generic for the emotional timbre of the sequence.

I'll probably get panned for this one, but I wouldn't mind a spot of Slayer minus the "vocals" to accompany Rick and Co during a zombie massacre. Integral to the plot of course.

IMO the producers of the show don't want the music to take too much limelight as a matter of style, which is okay by me because I don't watch the show for the music. But sometimes IMO a good musical accompaniment can knock a scene right out of the park. I don't know if anybody else saw it, but at the conclusion to an episode of the Sopranos they used I'm not like Everybody Else by The Kinks, to great effect. It easily doubled the emotional impact of the scene, but I don't think it's a method that will be, or ever has been used on TWD, as far as I recall ? Actually that's crap. I'd say the end of Nebraska qualifies; fat Tony lying in what I think is his own still warm.... well you know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I love the music done by Bear McCreary on the show - some excellent stuff ... my most favourite piece is in 1x01 when they intercut between Morgan trying to shoot his undead wife and Rick tracking down Bicycle Girl to put her out of her misery ("The Mercy of the Living"). The piece that rounded out season 3 was also a superb bit of work too, but there's so many excellent pieces of music throughout.

I love the tracks they choose for the Comic-Con trailers - they're 3-for-3 on that front so far. They always get just the right track to take the lead and bring those trailers home. The first one was "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" by The Walker Brothers, the second was "Civilian" by Wye Oak (also used in "18 Miles Out" to excellent effect), and the third was "Black" by Kari Kimmel.

Also, as used at the end of "Guts" (1x02), "I'm A Man" by Black Strobe was a great choice as Glenn whoops and hollers in joy as he rides out of Atlanta in that muscle car.

One piece of music I didn't like was at the end of 3x14 when they do the final reveal to close out the episode - I don't think the track fit the tone at all and would have gone for something entirely different, or preferably, an orchestral piece by McCreary.

I would very much like it if they would release an official soundtrack CD crammed-full of cues from the show. The music is so good, and yet you can only find samples online (I'd gladly buy such a CD if it was put out there).

I'd forgotten about the Morgan's wife/Bicycle Girl theme, it's very effective in both scenes. It's definitely one of McCreary's standout pieces. I hadn't heard the the Comic-Con tracks before with the exception of "Civilian". I'm not so keen on "Black" by Kari Kimmel but I can see why they used it.

The use of "Civilian" in 18 miles out is spectacular IMO, it really conveys the isolation that Shane's experiencing. Placed up against the lone walker in the field who hasn't changed direction since the first time we see him; it's very poignant.

I'm surprised there isn't any official CD available for the music on the show, considering the amount of merchandise out there.Could it be because the show doesn't have a lot of original music in it and therefore there isn't enough of it to justify a release ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I love the opening theme. I just have a vivid memory of the anticipation for 01-01 and to finally see zombies on a tv series and this is the song that is attached to that for me.

I think the music throughout has been pretty good. I have no composition or music theory background but I like what I like. As mentioned above the Gov's theme is definitely a tone setter and tension builder.
    Yeah, the swirly effect of the opening theme really suggests, "FUCK.... it's the Zombie Apocalypse. Run...AAAAARGH !!!!"
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 07-Apr-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: after-thought

Super Moderator

UK
    They must have plenty of music for a full CD from 3 season's worth now. Come on AMC - you're so ready to stick out anything with TWD on it, why not a ruddy good soundtrack CD of McCreary's score?

"The Mercy of the Living" has come back a few times as a theme for Rick and his family throughout the show, particularly in season 3, which is a nice thematic call back.

Count me in as another one who loves the opening theme. It was interesting to see a featurette (on the 3-Disc SE of Season 1, IIRC) on the making of the themetune, and apparently it's really quite hard to play for the string section because it's so frenetic. I'm not in the slightest bit musical, so it brought a new level of appreciation of it for me.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    I would also like to hear some new additions to the soundscape, though I think brass would be a tough one to pull off. Maybe if it was used sparingly for discordant effects. As lead instruments in the main score it would be a challenge IMO as TWD has a rural Georgian setting. I think strings work really well due to the setting, somehow brass seems to suggest a more urban feel. But what do I know, I only hit things. Maybe an atonal hammered dulcimer if it hasn't been used already, and if so, more of it. Great for those creepy unsettling moments.
    Just having strings makes the orchestra so unfinished. Woodwinds and brass would really make the soundtrack more dynamic. Brass can be more 'urban' or more 'warrior' esque, like Game of Thrones type stuff, but it can be used in varying fashions to create a zombie atmosphere.

Hell, maybe the occasional harpsichord, harp, and church organ would really spruce the soundtrack up.

Skip to 16:40

Also, was just thinking about the acoustic guitar...the person wouldn't even NEED to sing. An instrumental track would go way better. Hell, if there were TWO guitarists? Having one playing a dark, moody rhythm and the other soulfully wailing leads? Kinda like the intro in this track: https://soundcloud.com/jonoftheshred/societaldecay
    Or maybe when they hit the road again, stumbling upon a dusty piano while foraging for supplies in a house, and they realize they're slowly being surrounded. So one person just starts playing these ridiculous, moving piano melodies while everyone else gets ready to take down some Walkers.
    Last edited by JonOfTheShred; 07-Apr-2013 at 07:39 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I like the general music, but i'm more interested in Bear's score. If you go to his site, he explains each week's score and why he did what he did. Really good stuff.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I wasn't sure if you were reffering solely to the scores by McCreary, but a soundtrack CD has been compiled, finally. Only problem is there's no original music on it, even the title theme has been remixed, WTF. It seems
    a bit odd.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...-pre-order.php

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    I wasn't sure if you were reffering solely to the scores by McCreary, but a soundtrack CD has been compiled, finally. Only problem is there's no original music on it, even the title theme has been remixed, WTF. It seems
    a bit odd.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...-pre-order.php
    Yeah I was speaking about a Bear McCreary soundtrack CD featuring the score to the show. It's very strange AMC haven't bothered - they've slapped TWD's logo on damn-near everything, but a kick ass soundtrack CD featuring the excellent score? No, that one goes right over their head.

The CD they are releasing looks underwhelming, personally. AMC - gimme the score damn it.

*grumble grumble grumble*

Super Moderator

United States
    I just wish the show would keep it to instrumental work. I can't stand that faux country croon angst shit they tried peddling this season.

Just keep it voice-free.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    Also, was just thinking about the acoustic guitar...the person wouldn't even NEED to sing. An instrumental track would go way better. Hell, if there were TWO guitarists? Having one playing a dark, moody rhythm and the other soulfully wailing leads? Kinda like the intro in this track: https://soundcloud.com/jonoftheshred/societaldecay
    Or maybe when they hit the road again, stumbling upon a dusty piano while foraging for supplies in a house, and they realize they're slowly being surrounded. So one person just starts playing these ridiculous, moving piano melodies while everyone else gets ready to take down some Walkers.
    I liked the Morricone-sque metal. I can see what you're getting at with using less obvious instrumentation and fusing genres, but I still feel that brass would be out of place (IMO). It seems to bold a statement, a là Night on the Bare Mountain. Although it's hard to be sure without having some idea of the emotional tempo/beats of a scene. I've probably watched The Empire Strikes Back and LotR too many times to have a clear unbiased idea.

The dual guitars is a cool idea IMO, and yes definitely better without a vocal line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I just wish the show would keep it to instrumental work. I can't stand that faux country croon angst shit they tried peddling this season.

Just keep it voice-free.
    I didn't go for the sing-a-long with Beth stuff at all. IMO it's tricky to find pre-existing music that blends with film, if there's a vocal it only makes it harder.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 09-Apr-2013 at 05:28 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Just keep it voice-free.
    Agreed. It worked wonderfully in the trailer, but I would prefer more of McCreary's instrumental score over the promotional music. I definitely don't want anymore of Beth's singing.

McCreary has always said that he prefers music in small doses, and he has a valid point that works well, but I feel like the producers(or someone else) injects other music into the show for monetary reasons. They keep pushing "TWD Soundtrack" on Talking Dead, so that gives you an idea of where their heads are at. "$"

I want it to go back to the basics. MAYBE a completed song here and there(maybe twice a season), but generally silence with a touch of McCreary.

BTW, I love his synthetic pulse for The Governor's theme. Good stuff.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I feel like the producers(or someone else) injects other music into the show for monetary reasons. They keep pushing "TWD Soundtrack" on Talking Dead, so that gives you an idea of where their heads are at. "$"
    Yup! Couldn't agree more on that count.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany