Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bethesda is "done with Skyrim"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Bethesda is "done with Skyrim"

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/15/m...ext-adventure/

HURM.

Strange to see this hours after the elder scrolls mmo footage leaked and the internet proclaimed it generic garbage. We know there was a lot more dlc planned about the thalmer, this is reeking of "shit, we need the mmo to make back money and people are saying its not skyrim enough, lets get rid of skyrim!" damage control.
    So no more dlc, no shivering isles style expansions. Just a very mediocre looking world of war craft clone. yay...

Whats more interesting is theres rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely to push the mmo made in the abysmal SWTOR engine this week and this was immediately followed by a long anonymous rant on kotaku from an "anonymous game developer" complaining about how publishers are in control and shelving work.

im not gonna say aliens but.... ALIENS.

seriously though, this reeks of money and suits ruining the elder scrolls series just to cover expenses. and people wonder why we are starting to see another big games industry crash...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Whats more interesting is there's rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely to push the mmo made in the abysmal SWTOR
    Sounds wretched! That engine wasn't up to the task for SWTOR, I can't see it handling a Skyrim mmo title.

And a living, even more expansive Skyrim would be great...but one I'd have to share? Not. So. Much.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Sounds wretched! That engine wasn't up to the task for SWTOR, I can't see it handling a Skyrim mmo title.

And a living, even more expansive Skyrim would be great...but one I'd have to share? Not. So. Much.
    Oh it looks awful, so much is ripped off from guild wars 2, wow and swtor and so little is elder scrolls. They have changed the elder scrolls lore and say "from now on this is canon and the single player games are none canon personal storys like fan fiction" and most of the stuff like the thieves guild and dark brotherhood arent in the game at all!

Ireland
    Whats more interesting is theres rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely
    Oh

Balls
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    This is the worst news I have heard this year.

Worse than North Korea.

Ireland
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Eurogamer has a slightly more optimistic view of the situation:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ably-fallout-4

Aaaaaaand relax...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Whats more interesting is theres rumours of bethesda just shutting down its single player elder scrolls team completely to push the mmo made in the abysmal SWTOR engine this week and this was immediately followed by a long anonymous rant on kotaku from an "anonymous game developer" complaining about how publishers are in control and shelving work.
    I wouldn't put much stock in those rumors. Bethesda are never, ever gonna give up their Elder Scrolls SP series. That is currently their flagship, and oh what a flagship it is. Ever since Morrowind, the games have gotten bigger and bigger. Not only in gameplay terms, but also in sales and popularity. Skyrim, the game, entered the public mindset as no game before it had ever done. It was marketed on the same level as a blockbuster movie, and sold accordingly.

I'm not surprised that they're giving up on Skyrim now, tho. We've had 2 expansions already, both of which are of adequate size if you ask me. The reason they're giving up on Skyrim probably has more to do with them putting an increased focus on TESVI rather than Elder Scrolls Online, which is a wild-card so far. I'm not saying they're not gonna give the MMO all they've got, but they're never, ever, ever gonna let the TES-series Proper suffer because of it.

Also, know that Bethesda have been putting pressure on ID software lately and want them to pump out a Doom project to rival Skyrim in popularity and size. They have lots of stuff going on right now. They've grown into a behemoth, for sure...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock in those rumors. Bethesda are never, ever gonna give up their Elder Scrolls SP series. That is currently their flagship, and oh what a flagship it is. Ever since Morrowind, the games have gotten bigger and bigger. Not only in gameplay terms, but also in sales and popularity. Skyrim, the game, entered the public mindset as no game before it had ever done. It was marketed on the same level as a blockbuster movie, and sold accordingly.

I'm not surprised that they're giving up on Skyrim now, tho. We've had 2 expansions already, both of which are of adequate size if you ask me. The reason they're giving up on Skyrim probably has more to do with them putting an increased focus on TESVI rather than Elder Scrolls Online, which is a wild-card so far. I'm not saying they're not gonna give the MMO all they've got, but they're never, ever, ever gonna let the TES-series Proper suffer because of it.
    People said very, very similar stuff about the warcraft RTS series a decade ago though, much as i dearly want that to be the case the modern games industry inspires less than faithful hope with the future for me. For one thing a single player game you sell once, an mmo you charge every month for. We can all wish there are devs out there that are the customers best friend and "Care" about their product but you compare making 5 million with a game once to 5 million every 30 days for the foreseeable future from a game and their moral compasses get a little skewed to put it mildly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Still, I wouldn't put much stock in rumors. Especially rumors like that. Seem silly and not really backed up by anything except wild speculation.

Super Moderator

United States
    All this Bethesda talk really has got me jonesin' for some Fallout playtime.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    All this Bethesda talk really has got me jonesin' for some Fallout playtime.

I am looking foward to this instead. . . . . . http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I am looking foward to this instead. . . . . . http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/
    Looks interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvNbuOenVPw
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Thank you!

So I can play...

and then play this Wasteland game in the aftermath...excellent!

United States
    Wasteland the original game was awesome. I remember playing it on the C64 way back in the day. Set up like Bards Tale, but Post Appocalyptic instead of fantasy. The Fallout games are actually the spiritual sequals to Wasteland. But I'm super happy to go back to the original with modern graphics and gameplay.

This new Wasteland looks like it is using the RPG gameplay from many of my other favorite games. Similar to Baldurs gate, and what have you
    Last edited by clanglee; 20-Apr-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: eafew
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."