Thread: Brought back after hour(s) dead?

Administrator

England

Brought back after hour(s) dead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22154552

Paramedics soon took over, and at a point between 30 and 45 minutes after her collapse - no-one noted the exact time - Carol's heart started beating again.

"While 45 minutes is absolutely remarkable and a lot of people would have written her off, we now know there are people who have been brought back, three, four, five hours after they've died and have led remarkably good quality lives," says Dr Sam Parnia, the director of resuscitation research at Stony Brook University in New York.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Tibet
    Hypothermia patients. Cold water drownings have been brought back hours later. Hence the research into cooling therapy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Last edited by EvilNed; 24-Apr-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: fd

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
    Hypothermia patients. Cold water drownings have been brought back hours later. Hence the research into cooling therapy.
    Interesting....I don't know maybe Flatliners wasn't complete cobblers ?

Last edited by Morto Vivente; 24-Apr-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Tibet
    That's where the phrase "You're not dead until you're warm and dead" comes from. I can remember a few drownings that made headlines back in the 70s when I was a kid. People had been under for long periods of time, but were brought back. Look up Mammalian Diving Reflex.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Staredge is right. people who have drowned in cold water or severe hypothermia have been successfully revived. there are quite a few documented cases of it. The reflex Staredge mentioned revolves around our large spleens and its ability to produce red blood cells and store oxygen.

the world record for a human holding their breath underwater is nearly 20 MINUTES. almost as long as a dolphin.

now if Moon comes along with a "Creepshow" meme we have a complete thread.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Scotland
    That's where the phrase "You're not dead until you're warm and dead" comes from. I can remember a few drownings that made headlines back in the 70s when I was a kid. People had been under for long periods of time, but were brought back. Look up Mammalian Diving Reflex.
    I checked it out. Pretty cool...It makes sense, but it's amazing that the reflex kicks in even if just the face is submerged for long enough.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 26-Apr-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Administrator

England
    Look up Mammalian Diving Reflex.
    You have to wonder what Creationist think about these sorts of things? I mean why would God go out of his way to plug in misinformation into our reflexes like this?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Tibet
    Not misinformation.........self-preservation. Think of it like safety equipment in a car. Were I to design something in my likeness, I'd want it to stick around for a while.

(yes, I know....omnipotent God, etc. Free will still applies)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You have to wonder what Creationist think about these sorts of things? I mean why would God go out of his way to plug in misinformation into our reflexes like this?
    Neil, check out the "Aquatic Ape" theory. It is not accepted mainstream but it is not considered crackpot either. it is one of the theories of human evolution which holds that there are characteristics about humans that can only be explained if part of our evolution happened in or around water. our lack of body hair compared to other primates, our ability to dive deeper than any other land animal and hold our breath longer, we sweat salt water to cool our bodies, that we walk upright could be explained by the need to hunt in tidal pools, that we are one of the few land mammals that swims for pleasure. most animals don't get into water because they want to. humans are one of the few land mammals that do it because we find it pleasurable just to be in the water. bears do, a few primates do as well, and domestic dogs have been bred to like water.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."