Thread: What the World Eats: A Week's Worth of Groceries Around the Globe

Super Moderator

United States

What the World Eats: A Week's Worth of Groceries Around the Globe

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Bloody Hell, look at the amount of meat the Aussies are scoffing! I thought the T-Rex was extinct!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    We're pretty good in our household. We don't really eat crisps, chocolate bars or biscuits as a matter of course.

The kids also eat a very varied diet, especially compared to some of their friends who will only eat sausages or chicken nuggets. eg: Lots of salads with oily fish etc etc.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Look at all that German beer! I do like a tasty bottle of Weiss beer.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 01-May-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

United States

lol I miss Japanese t.v.

Undisclosed
    The Americans are the worst offenders of the group. The third world countries appear to have a healthier diet.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    The Americans are the worst offenders of the group. The third world countries appear to have a healthier diet.
    I don't know...if we generalized a trend from what we saw it would almost seem like Mexico should have a higher incidence of diabetes than the U.S., Germans would soon be extinct due to liver failure and the Poles would one day evolve into some vegan Eloi-folk in the far flung future.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I don't know...if we generalized a trend from what we saw it would almost seem like Mexico should have a higher incidence of diabetes than the U.S., Germans would soon be extinct due to liver failure and the Poles would one day evolve into some vegan Eloi-folk in the far flung future.
    I almost chose Mexico, because of the sodas, but at least they had a lot of fruit and vegetables. It was close between Mexico and USA. I thought the South and Central American countries had most natural and healthiest diets. I was impressed with some of the Asian countries, too.

United States
    Very interesting, thanks for posting Aces.

I'm not sure how representative that is of the "average" diet of these places, but it's still an interesting view nonetheless.

Administrator

England
    They missed north korea off the list..