Thread: Ray Harryhausen, visual effects master, dies aged 92

England

Ray Harryhausen, visual effects master, dies aged 92

Visual effects master Ray Harryhausen, whose stop-motion wizardry graced such films as Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, has died aged 92.

The American made his models by hand and painstakingly shot them frame by frame to create some of the best-known animated sequences in cinema.

His death in London was confirmed to the BBC by a family representative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22441567

Probably not a shock at his age, but by God...how many childhoods did this man turn into things of wonder and awe with his stop-motion wizardry?

The skeleton fight in "Jason and the Argonauts" is one of the greatest scenes in any movie ever as far as I am concerned...along with the powerful and intimidating "Minoton" plying his silent deathly trade in "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger". I have a pretty healthy collection of films that he worked his magic upon (all the major ones). I shall make a point of watching a few of my favourites over the weekend in honour of the great man.

Rest in peace Harry - You were a true genius and master craftsman.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I hate to make one death seem more important than another but we really lost a practical film effects master in the truest sense of the word and as good as them weta folks are i dont think we have anything to replace what cinema loses when someone of his skill passes.

Scotland
    Thought this might be a good addition to the thread. Not so sure about the soundtrack though, turning it down maybe a good idea.

Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I hate to make one death seem more important than another but we really lost a practical film effects master in the truest sense of the word and as good as them weta folks are i dont think we have anything to replace what cinema loses when someone of his skill passes.
    It's not even that one death is more important, but rather that his life and career choice impacted positively on so many other people. This is a good thing to talk about - especially with the news these days.

My own encounter with the Master of Stop Motion was back in the late eighties, at a Philadelphia SF convention. I'd just bought a book of his work up to that point in time, and when I walked out of the dealers room I saw him leaning against a wall by himself, waiting for folks to take him to dinner.

I introduced myself and asked Ray for his autograph, and then an even cooler thing happened; we simply talked shop for almost thirty uninterrupted minutes. Two artists just shooting the breeze, two equals. That's something truly amazing, but not unexpected with such a generous man as he was.

Wayne Z
    Last edited by wayzim; 10-May-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: cuz