Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New book on Day of the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

England

New book on Day of the Dead

Our very own Lee Karr has just finished his book on the making of George A. Romero's Day of the Dead and is currently seeking publication. He is interviewed in the latest podcast from the East Coast Horror Group, if anyone is interested.

Link: http://eastcoasthorrorgroup.com/echg...eets-lee-karr/

EDIT:-

Now available on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Geo...ay+of+the+dead
    Last edited by capncnut; 23-May-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typo

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Administrator

England
    Very interested!

NOTE: I had to go to this page to hear the interview - http://eastcoasthorrorgroup.com/category/interviews/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Interesting comments about Co-Producer David Ball!

I hope Lee can get the book published. I'd be on for getting a copy.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Interesting how Day used to be the runt of the litter, but now seems rather popular
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I've never understood why that was. To me, it was always the clear front runner of the series, in fact the whole flippin genre.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Cool. Want one!
    And yeah, to me Day is the best zombie film ever made. In fact it is one of the best horror films ever if you ask me. It's the one that has aged the most graciously of all three original GAR offerings.
    Last edited by krisvds; 23-May-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll give this a listen.

Day of the Dead was the first GAR zed flick (and first GAR flick generally) that I ever saw back when I was a teenager and I loved it immediately. I was really balled over by it too - the gore and the language was unlike anything I'd seen and heard before. Plus it's got a superb soundtrack, great actors, loads of memorable lines, cracking effects etc etc etc - it's just a brilliant movie and was the last best thing in zombies until The Walking Dead showed up.

I'd agree with Kris that it's the one that's aged best from the original trilogy - even though I prefer Dawn to Day, but Day is always a gritty classic sat reliably on Dawn's shoulder to me - two different moods and styles, and they both compliment one another. It's in my All-Time Top 50.

Hopefully the book will come to UK shores too.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-May-2013 at 05:26 PM.

United States
    Thanks for the support and interest in the book. Like Brett said I'm looking into getting it published so nothing to report yet on that end. As soon as I do, I'll get the word out. It's crammed with rare interviews and I've had lots of rare photos donated from crew members and extras as well. It's been a passion project for over three years now, so I can't wait for fans to get an opportunity to read it and let me know their thoughts.

Thanks again.

Undisclosed
    If someone has Jim O'rear sign this book at a convention, will it bring on a zombie apocalypse?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    If someone has Jim O'rear sign this book at a convention, will it bring on a zombie apocalypse?
    Lee Karr's book signed by Jim O'Rear? Wouldn't that be like matter and anti-matter colliding? OMG!

It would be brilliant to present the book to Jim O'Rear to sign just to see his reaction

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Thanks for the support and interest in the book. Like Brett said I'm looking into getting it published so nothing to report yet on that end. As soon as I do, I'll get the word out. It's crammed with rare interviews and I've had lots of rare photos donated from crew members and extras as well. It's been a passion project for over three years now, so I can't wait for fans to get an opportunity to read it and let me know their thoughts.

Thanks again.
    Lee, is there anything about the score (John Harrison) in it? IMHO the music for Day of the Dead is astounding!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Lee, is there anything about the score (John Harrison) in it? IMHO the music for Day of the Dead is astounding!
    Neil, yes there is. I talk with Harrison about producing the score and soundtrack in the chapter on post production.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well it certainly sounds like it'd be a good read - I imagine there must be a million factoids and behind-the-scenes details/stories surrounding this flick that we fans would enjoy devouring. Do keep us updated (I'm sure you would anyway) - all the best with getting it published!

United States
    Best of luck on the publishing side. I'll be adding it to my collection when it's official!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well it certainly sounds like it'd be a good read - I imagine there must be a million factoids and behind-the-scenes details/stories surrounding this flick that we fans would enjoy devouring. Do keep us updated (I'm sure you would anyway) - all the best with getting it published!
    Thanks, MZ!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Best of luck on the publishing side. I'll be adding it to my collection when it's official!
    Thanks, Mr.G!

United States
    The book is now officially available for pre-order on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Geo...ay+of+the+dead