Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New book on Day of the Dead

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    The book is now officially available for pre-order on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Geo...ay+of+the+dead
    And Amazon.co.uk (out on the same *ahem* day, too).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Making-G...ay+of+the+dead

Administrator

England
    *virtual high-five*

Any cover art available yet?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    *virtual high-five*

Any cover art available yet?
    Neil,
    Chris Stavrakis is designing the cover for me, so it will be finished very soon!
    Lee

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Cant wait for Jim O'Rear to sign my copy!

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    It's been pushed back until August 19th: http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Geo.../dp/0859655180

Have been privileged to see some of the unpublished photos in this book, and all I can say is that you dead-heads are in for a real treat.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Super Moderator

UK
    I've had my copy pre-ordered for a while now and I eagerly await its arrival through my letter box. Really looking forward to reading it.

United States
    Thanks so much to guys like Brett, Neil, and MinionZombie for the support. Here's what the cover looks like that Christian Stavrakis designed...
    DAY front.jpg

Administrator

England
    ^^ Nice!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I dig the cover. All these behind the scenes photos are going to be a real treat to have a look at.

Administrator

England
    Ordered
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Ordered
    Thank you, Neil.

Undisclosed
    This looks great, Lee - i'll be ordering it shortly.

i love that Greg Nicotero did the forward! i remember seeing a "Masters of Horror" or something (about 20 years ago) where he and Savini talk about the prop of his head and how he brought it home one day and scared his mom with it. If i remember correctly, this was the movie that got him into special effects.

Can't wait to read this.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skold View Post
    This looks great, Lee - i'll be ordering it shortly.

i love that Greg Nicotero did the forward! i remember seeing a "Masters of Horror" or something (about 20 years ago) where he and Savini talk about the prop of his head and how he brought it home one day and scared his mom with it. If i remember correctly, this was the movie that got him into special effects.

Can't wait to read this.
    Thanks, Skold. I really appreciate your support!

And yes DAY was Greg's first film. He actually had the chance to work on Creepshow, but turned it down. When DAY came around he jumped at the opportunity. It was quite an honor to have Greg agree to write the foreword for me. He wrote it during the early part of prep/filming for season 4 of TWD. He agreed to do the foreword in 2010 and 3 years later kept his word. He was an incredible help to me with the book, providing a ton of research material that he kept from the filming like memos, zombie sign in sheets, and some personal notes he made as well.

Undisclosed
    No problem, man - it is the least i can do for everything that you've brought to this forum for the last 10+ years that i've been here. Plus i love these books about the trilogy, so knowing the sensibilities of the author of this one makes it a must-buy for me.

Quick question:

Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    And yes DAY was Greg's first film. He actually had the chance to work on Creepshow, but turned it down. When DAY came around he jumped at the opportunity.
    i was always under the impression that Greg joined Day as an actor, but hung out with Savini so much on set that he decided to go into effects. Your quote above suggests that he was hired for effects/stunts (this circle did both, it seems), so which was it? Was he like a junior Taso on Day? If this is revealed in the book, then no need to answer here!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skold View Post
    No problem, man - it is the least i can do for everything that you've brought to this forum for the last 10+ years that i've been here. Plus i love these books about the trilogy, so knowing the sensibilities of the author of this one makes it a must-buy for me.

Quick question:

i was always under the impression that Greg joined Day as an actor, but hung out with Savini so much on set that he decided to go into effects. Your quote above suggests that he was hired for effects/stunts (this circle did both, it seems), so which was it? Was he like a junior Taso on Day? If this is revealed in the book, then no need to answer here!
    Well, first off thank you for saying that. I truly appreciate hearing it and I'm really happy that you enjoyed the work I've done here over the years.

As for Greg, he was hired to be Savini's assistant on the film. He was originally going to be a very minor character in the original script whose head was chopped off(that's why they cast his head to start with). But when the script changed it expanded his role, so to speak. But I cover this a little more in depth in the book!