Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New book on Day of the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Thank you, Mike. I'm doing good(as far as I know that is). I've been spending the last 4+ years shepherding this book to publication. I've learned quite a bit about what it takes to actually create a book and how difficult it can be at times. It's been quite an education.

How about you?
    I've been fabulous, man. Spent 2 months plus living in Spain and wandering around europe. Picked up Spanish in the process and am getting out and meeting lots of new folks at Spanish language events etc. Basically just been enjoying life.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    just ordered my copy last night! Really really looking forward to checking this out.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just got an email saying my copy has been dispatched.

A bit earlier than I was expecting, which is curious. I'd better crank out the back half of the James Ellroy I'm currently reading so I can be ready for DOTD.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just received my copy this morning before I had to go to a meeting. Just had a very quick look at it so far, but it looks great and I really looking forward to digging into it. Just got a couple of chapters left in "Because the Night" and then I'll head onto The Making of Day of the Dead.

England
    Mines only just dispatched.
    Hopefully it's selling well already

- - - Updated - - -

Just received this and had a quick flick through it.
    I've gotta say Lee, that's a superb effort brother.
    Congrats
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Mines only just dispatched.
    Hopefully it's selling well already

- - - Updated - - -

Just received this and had a quick flick through it.
    I've gotta say Lee, that's a superb effort brother.
    Congrats
    Thank you so much for the kind words! Let me know what you think after you have read the whole thing. Really excited to hear some feedback from fellow fans!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Thank you so much for the kind words! Let me know what you think after you have read the whole thing. Really excited to hear some feedback from fellow fans!
    No problem. Dawn is my movie but Day is definitely growing on me and it's about time to read the whole story.
    Going to watch the Scream Factory release in a minute before I dive on in.
    Thanks again.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    It always fascinates me the somewhat poor response to Day when it was released... When IMHO it was one of (if not the) most solid piece of work Romero produced. And it's definitely aged very well IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It always fascinates me the somewhat poor response to Day when it was released... When IMHO it was one of (if not the) most solid piece of work Romero produced. And it's definitely aged very well IMHO!
    I've said it many times before, but I was one of those expecting Dawn 2. I hadn't even seen Night when I saw Day of the Dead at the cinema.
    Day was just too dark for me at the age of 16.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Day of the Dead was the first of the original trilogy that I saw (IIRC I was 14 at the time) and I absolutely loved it. It blew my mind - mainly from a language and gore/effects stand point - but quickly over the proceeding years I got more and more into the characters on a deeper level as well. Dawn still pips it for me, but my love for Day has definitely grown and grown with each passing year.

I agree with Neil - it's aged very well indeed. Night is very much of it's time, as is Dawn, but that's not a flaw but it is recognisable ... Day on the other hand doesn't really feel especially 80s. The fashion is quite utilitarian and timeless, the gore is still superb even by today's standard (although Nicotero & Co have taken zombie realism and effects to a whole different level since), and the politics of the film are more subtle and in some ways can be applied to any era that followed.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Aug-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Ireland
    'Day of the Dead' is simply the best zombie film ever made and I'd count as the best horror film ever made too.

It trumps 'Dawn of the Dead' in every way possible, except running time. I would love for 'Day of the Dead' to have been a longer film. I'd gladly sit through a three hour cut.

'Dawn of the Dead' has aged terribly and looks positively awful in some places, whilst laughable in others. It's the "Hollywood western version" of a horror film. In terms of what the genre has to offer, it's sequel will beat it hands down every single time and nothing has come close since.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Day of the Dead' is simply the best zombie film ever made and I'd count as the best horror film ever made too.

It trumps 'Dawn of the Dead' in every way possible, except running time. I would love for 'Day of the Dead' to have been a longer film. I'd gladly sit through a three hour cut.

'Dawn of the Dead' has aged terribly and looks positively awful in some places, whilst laughable in others. It's the "Hollywood western version" of a horror film. In terms of what the genre has to offer, it's sequel will beat it hands down every single time and nothing has come close since.
    Stop fishing �� shoot

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    so i received an email from amazon stating that my order was on hold. the delivery date has already passed, and they said they would notify me when my copy would ship....anybody else get a message like this? what would be the problem? shortage of printed copies?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    so i received an email from amazon stating that my order was on hold. the delivery date has already passed, and they said they would notify me when my copy would ship....anybody else get a message like this? what would be the problem? shortage of printed copies?
    The U.S. release date was moved back to September 23, but the book is out in the UK and parts of Europe because the publisher is located in the UK.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Hey, shootem! Got any cigarettes?
    I wholeheartedly agree dawn has gotten awfully creaky as the years have gone by. I no longer really enjoy it as anything other than background noise.when im reading.

I went to anopen school and have trouble concentrating in total silence, so something is always on whether im reading or playing guitar etc.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."