Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New book on Day of the Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    The U.S. release date was moved back to September 23, but the book is out in the UK and parts of Europe because the publisher is located in the UK.
    thanks for the info. i guess it will arrive just in time for my out-of-town trip for work, so i'll have something good to read while i'm away from home at least.

Administrator

England
    The book is surprisingly big BTW. It's only like an inch short of being A4 size!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Interestingly enough, I was recently inspired to revisit the original three ( all on VHS, of course ) from conversations we've been having - I'm just now wrapping up DOTD. It's still amazes me how each one is such a powerful piece of film-making even to this day. I mean, I'm a huge fan of all of them, but Day somehow just hit all the right notes for me. It's always been more about the story than the splatter(not that there's anything wrong with that.), and it's the smart conversations that made me want to write about the ghouls myself. It's what makes it a Romero film in the first place, right?
    So, as I'm making some serious readjustments in my life these days, I probably won't be getting the book anytime soon, but great review all the same, MZ.

"This ain't no midnight fright flick or creature double feature, babe."
    Deadfall: Foreshadow.
    Last edited by wayzim; 08-Sep-2014 at 02:24 AM. Reason: B'cuz

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Thanks so much for reviewing the book! Reading Nick's review was a proud moment for me, truly. If fellow fans enjoy it that's all that matters to me. Thanks, Nick! And thanks, Neil!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Thanks so much for reviewing the book! Reading Nick's review was a proud moment for me, truly. If fellow fans enjoy it that's all that matters to me. Thanks, Nick! And thanks, Neil!
    You're very welcome, Lee.

I had a really good time reading the book (which then inspired me to re-watch the movie again for the umpteenth time, as well as the recent making of documentary, and I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot lately too ... I adore the bit in "Breakdown" around about 0:58 when it all kicks off when Sarah's about to cauterise the wound) ... ... anyway, as others have said, you do get an 'inside' feel with the book. You kind of feel like a 'ghost crew member' being privy to all these behind the scenes stories. I already loved Day of the Dead, but the book made me love it even more.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You're very welcome, Lee.

I had a really good time reading the book (which then inspired me to re-watch the movie again for the umpteenth time, as well as the recent making of documentary, and I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot lately too ... I adore the bit in "Breakdown" around about 0:58 when it all kicks off when Sarah's about to cauterise the wound) ... ... anyway, as others have said, you do get an 'inside' feel with the book. You kind of feel like a 'ghost crew member' being privy to all these behind the scenes stories. I already loved Day of the Dead, but the book made me love it even more.
    It's awesome to hear a compliment like that, Nick. You just made my day, brother!

Great Britain
    Your book's on Forbidden Plant now Lee

https://forbiddenplanet.com/127921-m...eid=0cc36533e0

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Your book's on Forbidden Plant now Lee

https://forbiddenplanet.com/127921-m...eid=0cc36533e0
    I saw that. But here's the one that blew my mind: it's available from Wal-Mart! How insane is this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29650961

Fresh Meat

United States
    Pre-ordered. Looking forward to this one. Thanks, Lee!

-stray-

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    Pre-ordered. Looking forward to this one. Thanks, Lee!

-stray-
    Thanks, Stray!

Scotland
    Just ordered my copy today (next day delivery ). Been looking forward to reading this for some time. Day of the Dead not only introduced me to the genre, but still remains my favourite z-flick nearly 30 years later. Thanks Lee, I'm sure by tomorrow evening I'll be like a "fresh-turn" delving into it's first stomach cavity.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 24-Sep-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: edit
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

United States
    my copy arrived today, and after a quick glance while flipping through the pages, i am rather impressed. i have a book i'm currently reading on vietnam, but as soon as i'm through with it, i'm going to be diving right in on this one!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    Just ordered my copy today (next day delivery ). Been looking forward to reading this for some time. Day of the Dead not only introduced me to the genre, but still remains my favourite z-flick nearly 30 years later. Thanks Lee, I'm sure by tomorrow evening I'll be like a "fresh-turn" delving into it's first stomach cavity.
    Thanks so much. I hope you'll enjoy it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    my copy arrived today, and after a quick glance while flipping through the pages, i am rather impressed. i have a book i'm currently reading on vietnam, but as soon as i'm through with it, i'm going to be diving right in on this one!
    Thanks, Professor. Let me know what you think when you're finished.

Administrator

England
    I'll be kicking off a competition shortly with a copy up for grabs...
    -Carl Sagan