Thread: 7 Days To Die (video game) - DayZ + Minecraft! (and dash of Fallout...)

UK

7 Days To Die (video game) - DayZ + Minecraft! (and dash of Fallout...)

This seems to have come from nowhere and I'm liking it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOglladanR4

Article:-
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/29/7-...st-apocalypse/

Administrator

England
    ...and it appears you can play co-op too! So a group of you can play together

Nice!

Not sure enough if I'm willing to buy a pre-alpha without a bit more info though!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    It's available through Steam now as an early access title!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_42Wb8z_mI
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    I might pick this up if it shows up in the Steam winter sale, it's pretty expensive for an alpha otherwise, though I'm sure I'll cave-in sooner or later and just buy it whatever, lol. DayZ standalone has just dropped onto Steam too... it's looking like my wallet is going to be pretty barren for the foreseeable future!

Administrator

England
    ^^ Look forward to the feedback then!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I love steam, but it's easy to get carried away. While I love the idea, I'll wait until I just hear some "Yeah, it's good" reviews.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    While I love the idea, I'll wait until I just hear some "Yeah, it's good" reviews.
    Picked this up earlier today and it's tremendously entertaining! I'll bullet point my initial pros and cons for easy reading:

Pros:

DayZ meets Minecraft – it's as good as that sounds!
    Post Apocalyptic Fallout 3 vibe going on, very nice indeed.
    Loads of stuff to scavenge – everything has a use. Feels a bit like a cross between Fallout and State of Decay.
    Great crafting system. Similar to Minecraft but with improvements. If you've worked out a recipe you can select it from the menu and it will automatically pull the right stuff from your inventory without having to 'draw' it out each time.
    Base building – renovate an existing structure or build your own, barricade, set traps and hope it/you survives the night!
    “Oh crap the sun's going down!”
    Can switch off running zombies. (I haven't yet, this is one instance where runners actually work – yeah, shock horror!).
    28 Days Later inspired theme tune!

Cons: (I imagine these are just related to it's alpha state)

Not yet procedurally generated terrain – it's a fixed map at the moment, I believe they're re-making the terrain generation system (making it smooth, not block-like as it is now). I also believe that the next update will make the map bigger with new building and biomes.
    Reload bug – can't reload my guns at the moment, seems like the last patch messed it up. Not a biggie – guns can land you in all kinds of poo!
    Zombie hordes at night zero in on you no matter what. Apparently you will be able to hide once the stealth system is implemented, which, according to the loading screen, is next on the list!
    The re-spawn can land you in it. You can have multiple re-spawn points (by placing beds or sleeping bags in your base), I've only had one, so that might be why – I think you can choose where to spawn if you've got more than one.
    Slightly velociraptor-y zombie moans – well there's one but it's buried down in the sound mix so it's not too bad, actually it does sound a little bit like Godzilla!

Overall it's pretty solid for an alpha which bodes well for the future, you get plenty of game for your money and loads more cool stuff on the way. If you think it sounds like a game you'd enjoy, you probably will.

Zombie games/modes/mods are a dime a dozen these days, but there are a few truly outstanding ones out there at the moment – this is one of them.

RC recommends!

EDIT: Okay, it's not a re-load bug, I'm just doing it wrong! Ammo clips need to be on the hotbar rather than the inventory... doh!
    Last edited by Rancid Carcass; 28-Dec-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Doh!