Thread: ET game excavation

Administrator

England

ET game excavation

A Canadian studio has confirmed to the BBC it will search a former landfill site in New Mexico where Atari's much-criticised ET game may be buried.

Fuel Entertainment has permission from the city of Alamogordo to excavate and is finalising funding for the project.

The video game was among the first to be licensed from a film franchise and was based on the Spielberg film ET. Despite the success of the film the game was very badly received and Atari suffered huge financial losses.

It was released at Christmas 1982 for the Atari 2600 console but many copies were returned and the game was given terrible reviews. Shortly afterwards the entire video games industry crashed, as PCs started to become more widespread.
    Urban legend

In September 1983 the firm is said to have dumped millions of cartridges at the landfill site and buried them under concrete.
    I have to ask... Why? Why dig up thousands/millions of game cartridges for a poor 30yr old game?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    It's gonna be day one pre-order DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines GOTY edition!

Super Moderator

UK
    Surely it's a case of finding out if the urban legend is true, right? It's commonly been said that the cartridges were dumped in the desert, but I'd heard that that was just an urban legend ... but other's claim otherwise ... perhaps this is to find out once and for all? It's a huge part of videogame culture and lore ... it's kind of like videogaming's Big Foot or Loch Ness Monster.

United States
    Well, we do know one thing: they didn't sell all those games...

I can remember playing that POS as a kid and being SO disappointed.

If they're not buried in a landfill, they should be!

Administrator

England
    ^^ But again... What do they want them for? They dig up X thousands of cartridges and...?

It's like the South Park under pant gnomes!

Cartridges + ? = profit
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I played this game when it originally came out...I assure you all, these cartridges should not see the light of day

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, like I said - probably mostly to see if they can confirm if it's true or just an urban legend ... and if any are surviving, they'd no doubt auction them off like the videogame equivalent of sunken treasure ... "treasure" being a decidedly relative term.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 05-Jun-2013 at 04:40 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ But again... What do they want them for? They dig up X thousands of cartridges and...?
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well, like I said - probably mostly to see if they can confirm if it's true or just an urban legend ... and if any are surviving, they'd no doubt auction them off like the videogame equivalent of sunken treasure ... "treasure" being a decidedly relative term.
    ^^ This.

Even though we've all heard the legend of what happened to all these leftover ET cartridges, is there any proof? I guess that's what these people are going to find out.

Although, that being said, I think some people just have WAY too much time on their hands.

***Edited to add: apparently, snopes believes this 'urban legend' to be true: http://www.snopes.com/business/market/atari.asp

But here's what I find most curious about the article:

"...Atari, stuck with millions of games and consoles that were largely unsellable at any price, sent fourteen truckloads of merchanside from their plan in El Paso, Texas, to be dumped in a city landfill in Alamogordo, New Mexico in late September 1983. In order to keep the site from being looted, steamrollers crushed and flattened the games, and a concrete slab was poured over the remains."

So even if they dig this stuff up, it's not like anything "useable" will come from it. If snopes got the story right, that is.. Hmmm.....
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 05-Jun-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: NOT required

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    But here's what I find most curious about the article:

"...Atari, stuck with millions of games and consoles that were largely unsellable at any price, sent fourteen truckloads of merchanside from their plan in El Paso, Texas, to be dumped in a city landfill in Alamogordo, New Mexico in late September 1983. In order to keep the site from being looted, steamrollers crushed and flattened the games, and a concrete slab was poured over the remains."

So even if they dig this stuff up, it's not like anything "useable" will come from it. If snopes got the story right, that is.. Hmmm.....
    Even if they hadn't crushed them and all, surely they would be unplayable after all this time anyway. Right?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy
    Even if they hadn't crushed them and all, surely they would be unplayable after all this time anyway. Right?
    I would think so.

Actually Ron, now that I think about it, it was unplayable begin with!

wakka wakka I'm here all week..
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 05-Jun-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    "steamrollers crushed and flattened the games, and a concrete slab was poured over the remains."
    And they say a child's prayers are never answered. My 8 year old self would be jumping up & down like it was raining Star Wars action figures if he heard this news.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    and a concrete slab was poured over the remains.
    Damn, that's some heavy duty DRM...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Damn, that's some heavy duty DRM...
    Well played, sir!