Thread: New Friday the 13th movie within 5 years & new blu-ray box set

United States

New Friday the 13th movie within 5 years & new blu-ray box set

I'm not really too hip to this, as I thought the remake of Fri13th was another example of why remakes shouldn't be done, but I digress... Some news for those who are fans:

Source: http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-art...ext-five-years

You Can Expect Another 'Friday the 13th' Movie + Blu-Ray Box Set in the Next Five Years
    Alyse Wax
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 - 2:00pm

That's right horror fans: even money says we will get a new Friday the 13th movie and a complete Friday the 13th blu-ray box set in the next five years. And why is that? Warner Bros. gave up their rights to the franchise to Paramount, who now has five years to make a film; otherwise the rights revert back to Warner Bros.

Let's back up a minute. A brief history of the Friday the 13th franchise's ownership history: director Sean Cunningham got funding to make the original F13 from Boston theater owners. Paramount took domestic distribution rights to the franchise; Warner Bros. took international. When the rights reverted back to Cunningham in full, he took F13 to New Line in an attempt to make a Freddy vs. Jason easier to push through the works. New Line had control of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise at that point, so it seemed like a good idea, but even still, it took another 10 years to get the project to market. New Line has since become part of Warner Bros. and when they relaunched the franchise in 2009, it turned out that Paramount still had a 50% stake in the franchise.

Now it is 2013, and Paramount has taken the reins to Christopher Nolan's upcoming tentpole, Interstellar. Warner Bros. has a lucrative relationship with the director, having released his Dark Knight trilogy and stand-alone Inception to both high praise and high box office receipts. Naturally, Warner Bros. wants another piece of the Nolan pie, so they have traded their stake in the Friday the 13th franchises to Paramount, in exchange for co-financing Interstellar - and hopefully reaping the rewards.

This decision had to be relatively easy for Warner Bros, who has been trying to get a sequel to their rebooted F13 off the ground since 2009, but the shared stake in the franchise caused plenty of problems, and obviously has kept the sequel from moving forward. Similarly, we have never gotten a cohesive blu-ray set of the entire Friday the 13th franchise because the rights were shared by multiple studios. Now that it is all under one roof, it would be insane for Paramount not to take advantage and release an insane, comprehensive box set.

The catch in this deal (there is always a catch) is that Paramount has the rights for five years. Usually, this means that Paramount will retain the rights if they make at least one Friday the 13th movie in that time, then the rights reset and they will have another five years to make another installment. So with the rights no longer divided between two studios, it seems that there should be no hold-up in another Jason Voorhees movie.

United States
    Hurm. Interesting. I liked the F13th reboot better than most. Some parts were an interesting take on the character. Given the anount of time that has passed I would wager we'll get ANOTHER reboot or a sort of "franchise neutral" film, rather than a specific sequal to the 2009 film.

Super Moderator

UK
    The remake had huge problems, but it also did some things right ... one of the biggest problems was making it look exactly like the TCM2003 remake - NO. That was that, this is an entirely different thing ... F13th is also supposed to be in a lush, green, forest environment ... not rural Texas!

Jason was pretty badass in it though (Mears did a good job), and Julianna Guill was awesome ... but it was 30 minutes before the ruddy title came up. There were two openings, which really split the movie up in an awkward way. It was very slick ... a bit too slick, I'd like to see it feel a bit more stripped back in future ... and several of the characters I quite enjoyed (particularly the asian stoner dude who was hilarious), and the main hero was a thoroughly decent guy, so they weren't all just potential fodder ... even Travis Van Winkle's character (the arrogant arse whose father owns the house they're in) was actually quite funny for most of the movie.

I think a sequel needs to stand on its own, not be connected, and not be a sequel, and not be a remake sequel and so on ... just an instalment that does what you want, but is true to the franchise with some smarts thrown into the script to give it some scares and some laughs. I'd gladly write the new film myself, just in case you're reading Paramount.

F13th'09 wasn't terrible, but it's wasn't awesome either. It easily beat that horseshit Jason Goes to Hell, and was overall better pieced together than Jason X. Some of it was good, some of it was bad, some of it was downright awkward ... it needed work, but it did some things very well. The best Jason moment in the movie was when he chased that one guy outside the house, and then did that two-handed, over-the-head throw of the axe ... that was badass, alright.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Hurm. Interesting. I liked the F13th reboot better than most. Some parts were an interesting take on the character.
    What, like the fact that Jason wasn't just a maniac killing kids at a summer camp, he was a mercenary pot farmer killing kids at the camp who got too close to his stash?

That was one hell of a revelation provided by the remake. I had no idea.

Ireland
    'Friday the 13th' has to be one of the most stupid franchises ever, with an utterly ridiculous villian.

Christ...let it just die. (Not unlike the aforementioned utterly ridiculous villian, it refuses to do so)
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....