Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XBox One vs PS4 (consoles)

Administrator

England
    Titles 1080p on PS4, but 720p on XBox? - http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Mic...One-60159.html

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear! It gets worse!

Anyway, this news about the game (Ryse) being relegated to 30fps after being downgraded from 1080p to 900p is not good news for Microsoft's console heading into its November launch. Coupled with the undeniably strong rumors of Call of Duty: Ghosts being downgraded on the Xbox One from 1080p to 720p where-as the PS4 rendition of the game will be native 1080p at 60fps, and now you have a situation where the Xbox One is not only looking second rate, but it's looking like it's coming in behind the curve in a bad way.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Rys...One-60158.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Yep, seems the XBox has a big thorn in its foot here with it offering 720p on many titles where the PS4 manages full 1080p - http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Con...PS4-60244.html

Breaking through the pathetic embargo of the Doritocracy, Infinity Ward's executive producer Mark Rubin decided to just come clean about the situation involving the Xbox One's resolution of Call of Duty: Ghosts, and it's been confirmed that the system can only handle native 720p compared to the PS4, which is running native 1080p.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Mmm ... the Xbone is looking rather disappointing generally, even with some concessions made, it's not an attractive prospect. You still have to get it running online at least once (what about people without that ability?), the price is far higher than the PS4, that Kinect junk is just bullshit nobody wants, and all that ADHD 'Xbox, watch TV ... Xbox, play game ... Xbox, snap Explorer ... Xbox, load Skype' bollocks is just nonsense ... why on earth would you watch TV through your Xbox? You already have a box for TV, so you then have TWO boxes on doing the work of ONE ... nevermind about your electricity bill, eh?

I'm not a fan of the Playstation controller though, even if the PS4 one does look better than the PS3 joypad ... but there's too much stacked against Xbone at this point. Unless they relaunch it in a couple of years, I think they'll go down as putting out an underwhelming console.

I'd say, generally, that Xbox won this current generation ... at this point, it's looking like Playstation will win the next generation.

Super Moderator

UK
    I read that both consoles will require a Day One Patch - indeed, with the Xbone, without that patch it'll be a very expensive brick that won't do anything.

Surely we can all see where this is going? Server crashes, only some people being able to get the patch downloaded, people who don't have internet access (and don't know it's absolutely required to get the damn thing going) realising after they've stumped up their dosh that they're screwed, and a bunch of screaming kids inspiring their parents to scream at Sony and MS.

A Day One Patch, eh? That smacks a bit of rushed release on both counts to me, even though the MS guys have boasted that their console is solid this time around and could last "conservatively" for "ten years" ... well I'd ruddy well hope so (time will tell, mind you) ... it's just a shame they've made a pig's ear of the rest of the process! I suppose though, if your main rival is going at a time, you can't hang around and go months later or you'll be skuppered.

England
    Heres a side by side comparison of the video capabilities. I don't know about anyone else but I prefer the image on the right which is supposed to be the xbox one. The PS4 one looks too flat to me.

The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... I barely see a difference - mostly just slightly more contrast on the Xbone, which does mean certain scenes (e.g. the first one) looks more washed out on the PS4, but then other scenes look too dark on the Xbone while the PS4 gets the mix right ... so it's not even a consistent slight difference.

United States
    So.....My decision to wait a few years to upgrade consoles seems to be a good one since BOTH next gen consoles are having major issues similar to the 360's red ring of death. Why do the manufacturers always have this issue during roll out? Looks like they would have learned the lesson by now since this kind of crap has been happening since the original xbox.....possibly sooner but I can't recall.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    So.....My decision to wait a few years to upgrade consoles seems to be a good one since BOTH next gen consoles are having major issues similar to the 360's red ring of death. Why do the manufacturers always have this issue during roll out? Looks like they would have learned the lesson by now since this kind of crap has been happening since the original xbox.....possibly sooner but I can't recall.
    To be fair, are the failure rates all that high? I was reading suggestions that the percentage was actually quite low - and entirely in proportion to various forms of tech - you're always going to have a failure rate of a couple of percent with ones that are, for whatever reason, just dead out of the box.

However, in this day and age of the internet, it's very easy for people to shout very loud about something (e.g. the blue light of death, or the dubstep disc drive) and make it appear to be a larger problem than it truly is.

Either way, I was never going to hop on the next gen for a good while anyway. It was 18 months before I got onboard with Xbox360. It's best to see the lay of the land after a while, as well as to get some cheap game deals from a larger library of content.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    To be fair, are the failure rates all that high? I was reading suggestions that the percentage was actually quite low - and entirely in proportion to various forms of tech - you're always going to have a failure rate of a couple of percent with ones that are, for whatever reason, just dead out of the box.

However, in this day and age of the internet, it's very easy for people to shout very loud about something (e.g. the blue light of death, or the dubstep disc drive) and make it appear to be a larger problem than it truly is.

Either way, I was never going to hop on the next gen for a good while anyway. It was 18 months before I got onboard with Xbox360. It's best to see the lay of the land after a while, as well as to get some cheap game deals from a larger library of content.
    I suspect you're spot on!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition runs at 30fps on the XBox One, but at 60fps on the PS4? That says something about comparative performance! - http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Tom...One-61836.html
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    XBox One price drop - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26325354

Microsoft is to drop the price of its new Xbox One console - just over three months after its release.
    Wonder if the PS4 will lower its price? I doubt it! I know even with matched prices I'd still go PS4!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Well, I bought a PS4 on Tuesday.

Interesting Controller....the touch pad/button thingy in the middle of the controller is similar to the touch pad mouse on a laptop. I would assume that it's more for folks who use their system for browsing the web but I suppose games could find an interesting purpose. I also don't understand the speaker in the controller.

I have only bought two games so far. Watch Dogs and Thief. I am pumped for MGS: The Phantom Pain. I will be getting MGS: Ground Zeroes sometime in the next few weeks to hold me over for it's 12/31 release date.(yes, I waited and know that it's an extremely short game)

As far as graphics go, I don't see too much of a gap between the PS3 and the PS4 at the moment. I think the gap will grow in the coming months. I haven't compared Watch Dogs side by side but there's nothing much graphic wise on the PS4 that makes me go "HOLY SHIT!". It is however extremely fast. I can go from the game to the main menu aka dash board in a half second. I'm not for certain but I also believe that you can run multiple "applications". Say you want to back out of your game to look up cheat codes or an FAQ. You can do that and then resume your game where you left in a split second. As long as you didn't close the application(game).

My only complaint so far is they seemed to have over complicated a few process. Like turning off the controller while your watching Netflix. Instead of holding down the PS button and simply clicking turn off controller....You have to go to "adjust devices"...."turn off devices"...."dualshock 4". Not a big problem just kind of annoying.

United States
    my new ps4 will be arriving tomorrow while i'm at work. really, really looking forward to getting home tomorrow evening. I got the bundle with gta5 and the last of us remastered, which I am really looking forward to checking out.

funny, though, as both games bundled with my console are last-gen games and i'm also very excited about the remastered gamecube resident evil remake. what i'm really anxious to see is how great the games actually designed for new-gen consoles play/look.

England
    Well I had cash burning a hole in my pocket last weekend and went and bought a PS4, my first console since the PS2 as I've been a staunch PC gamer for the last 13 years! I have to say the graphics on GTA5 have blown me away and The Last Of Us was well worth the wait, great buy! I haven't played online with it yet, but my user name is Tricky5282 if any of you hogs are on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I also don't understand the speaker in the controller.
    Have you played GTA5 yet? That speaker makes much more sense when you use the phones in the game

England
    Been very impressed with what MS have shown at E3. The games are starting to feel next gen.

Can't wait for this.

https://youtu.be/yRVR-Y__bmg
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA