Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Genisys (film) - Terminator reboot

Administrator

England
    Emilia Clarke is Sarah Connor...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65452

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    On the off chance the new Terminator films are any good, Emilia Clarke is fast becoming queen of the geeks.

Never liked the franchise to be honest. I absolutely love the first one, but could never get into the second one. T2 played it a bit too safe and Arnold protecting that kid and the 'thumbs up' scene at the end, ... always felt like a step down from the original.

EDIT: totally missed the first two pages of the thread and just found out I'm not the only one who can't get into T2 anymore. Really dislike the overall 90ies feel of that feel. Come to think of it, the nineties blockbusters are aging prettly badly. Awful decade for hollywood popcorn cinema: every 'genre' movie had to be politically correct and safe for the whole family. Can't imagine something like Aliens or the first Terminator being made then ...
    Last edited by krisvds; 15-Dec-2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    The reboot is going to be a sequel, prequel, and reboot all at once - http://moviehole.net/201473984exclus...new-terminator

...while “Genesis” encompasses an original plot, it also – like “Back to the Future Part II”, which saw Marty and Doc having to revisit the events of 1955 again for the film’s last quarter – returns to and revisits some of the most memorable moments from the first two “Terminator” movies.

The writers have apparently found a brilliant way of playing tribute to the two greatest films in the “Terminator” series, while introducing us to a new scenario.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    "the two greatest films in the Terminator series" ... the other two damned with the faintest of praise.

Interesting idea, but at the same time, hmmm...

Super Moderator

United States
    This news just hurts my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've not even seen McTwat's one...
    I haven't either.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'll probably watch it.

I enjoyed T3 mildly. It was ambitious enough action wise for me to be enjoyed for 2 hours. While I thought the bulk of the movie was rather dull compared to T2, I do actually think it has the best of the endings.

T4 was 2 flashy 4 me. Felt like watching a Pixar film.

Super Moderator

UK
    T4 had an awesome trailer (and mostly because of Nine Inch Nails) and that's it.

T3 was an absolute piss take for various reasons (as I've mentioned earlier in this thread), even if certain moments were fun (in spite of the 'super Terminator' nonsense that goes against everything established in 1 and 2).

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Gun n Roses = Girlie metal.
    What sort of big shot rappin' & cocaine talk is this? All metal is cheesy by definition.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The reboot is going to be a sequel, prequel, and reboot all at once - http://moviehole.net/201473984exclus...new-terminator
    ...while “Genesis” encompasses an original plot, it also – like “Back to the Future Part II”, which saw Marty and Doc having to revisit the events of 1955 again for the film’s last quarter – returns to and revisits some of the most memorable moments from the first two “Terminator” movies.

The writers have apparently found a brilliant way of playing tribute to the two greatest films in the “Terminator” series, while introducing us to a new scenario.
    Hur. Ar. Hurm. Sounds mildly interesting. Still don't know if it give me any enthusiasm for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    What sort of big shot rappin' & cocaine talk is this? All metal is cheesy by definition.

Not sure if serious.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Footage/scenes from the original to be used? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-T...ilm-42830.html

"There’s a scene in the script where literally, we see the scene in the first Terminator where Arnold steps out, the punks threaten him, he rips Bill Paxton’s heart out and takes his clothes and wanders off. And as soon as that scene ends, another Arnold Schwarzenegger who’s older, and bearded and a very different version of the Terminator, comes walking in from the other side and plays another scene, right at the scene of that first incident."
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can't be the only one having trouble understanding what exactly that scene description is getting at? So we see the scene from the first film, then a more aged Terminator walks into frame and the new movie goes from there? Unless there are lots of details this description has missed, that sounds like a pretty poor way to connect the films.

It's been a while since I've watched any of the Terminator films, but it wasn't even Bill Paxton's character that had his heart ripped out, iirc?....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I can't be the only one having trouble understanding what exactly that scene description is getting at? So we see the scene from the first film, then a more aged Terminator walks into frame and the new movie goes from there? Unless there are lots of details this description has missed, that sounds like a pretty poor way to connect the films.

It's been a while since I've watched any of the Terminator films, but it wasn't even Bill Paxton's character that had his heart ripped out, iirc?....
    Pretty sure it was.

They've been referencing "Back to the Future 2" quite a bit, so this was how I expected it to play out, a la Marty at the Dance while Marty is onstage playing, etc.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I had to see if I was remembering the scene wrong. Turns out my memory has served me well. Paxton isn't the one that gets the arm, it's the guy that played one of the villains in The X-Files...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTYZek5RWnc

United States
    Ah, so it was. Brian Thomson. Also of "Cobra" fame. I had them transposed in my mind, & forgot all about the 3rd guy, who thought ran away, but was the one he gets the clothes from.

Oh well. You need to get ahold of the guy they got the quote from & let him know he got it wrong too.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 02-May-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Ahl Be Bock.