Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Genisys (film) - Terminator reboot

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... interesting.

Surely it can't be as bad as T3 or T4, so I've got some vague sense of hope for it ... we'll see, I guess. It does sound kinda cool with the 'alternate angle on a familiar scene' thing, even though it's been done before. I suppose it would be bloody weird for the punks to seemingly see their attacker come back straight away, but be 30 years older and fully bearded. As long as they don't go too gimmicky with the approach - and it has a purpose, not just for shits and giggles - then it could be cool.

BTW - Cobra was awesome - really dug that flick.

Administrator

England
    Matt Smith (Dr Who) cast - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27262178

Paramount Pictures has announced Matt Smith is to star opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger in the reboot of the Terminator franchise.

The Doctor Who star will play "a new character with a strong connection to John Connor".
    Great thing is they've already announced his role will grow in no.2 & 3! Great! We now know his character is untouchable for the first couple of flicks
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Matt Smith (Dr Who) cast - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27262178

Great thing is they've already announced his role will grow in no.2 & 3! Great! We now know his character is untouchable for the first couple of flicks
    Meh. I hope it's not a big role ... the guy kinda annoys me ... sometimes he's alright or good, but other times he's full-on irksome.

We shall see, I guess. I'm probably somewhat influenced by my general disliking of his time on Dr Who (not entirely, as there were some excellent episodes, but generally).

Administrator

England
    ^^ What's the bets he's some sort of geeky scientist?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    ^^ What's the bets he's some sort of geeky scientist?
    Dead cert.

Administrator

England
    OK, looks like we have a new trilogy on our hands , with the 2nd film being released in May 2017 and the third in June 2018 - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68666

Why the rush? Because the rights for "Terminator" revert back to Cameron in 2019 - Can you imagine if Cameron then does something with it I doubt he will though given this new trilogy and how much water has now passed under this bridge!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Crikey ... well, it could all turn out roses, but after the abominations that were T3 and T4 what are the odds of something good happening? You never know though, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Filming two back-to-back as well is always a risk because if you make an error with #2 it'll carry over into #3 (e.g. how the second and third Matrix movies take themselves far too seriously, I still really enjoyed them, but it's undeniable there's a different feel to 2&3 versus 1).

So the rights go back to Cameron in 2019 no matter what, eh? Cool ... although nothing will probably come of it with three new movies in recent years (if their plan goes how they want it to), but I suppose at the very least it'd mean no more shitty Terminator flicks could be made ... in theory.

Administrator

England
    PG13? - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69077

For me, Terminator died after T2... and don't see this changing things...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Remember when The Terminator, or the T-1000, used to rip out people's hearts and stab their victims in the eye? They're supposed to be brutal killing machines FFS.

T3 was an abomination. T4 was pish in all.

Yep, you can't drop an F-Bomb, but you can get up to all sorts of violence (as long as you don't spill any blood). Just think about how messed up that is - where's the horrific consequences of violence? Violence is ugly and brutal, but erase the blood and shoo-away any nipples and naughty words and you're golden ... it's ridiculous.

The MPAA rating system is bizarre and skewed all wrong. If their system was more like ours with 12, 15, and 18 categories you'd be able to compromise your product less and earn more money. The Expendables 2 was rated R (17+) in America, but it was a 15 (with no cuts) here in the UK. The Inbetweeners Movie made a couple of trims to get a 15 without compromising the overall tone (still filled with all the naughty behaviour you'd expect) and it made a shedload of cash at the UK box office.

It just seems so odd that you can have an R-Rated film that's a middling 15 rating over here, at the same time as having another R-Rated film that's a savage 18 rating over here. The spread of age categories from the MPAA just seems idiotic.

United States
    Hollywood haz becum ultimate troll nowz.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Remember when The Terminator, or the T-1000, used to rip out people's hearts and stab their victims in the eye? They're supposed to be brutal killing machines FFS.

T3 was an abomination. T4 was pish in all.

Yep, you can't drop an F-Bomb, but you can get up to all sorts of violence (as long as you don't spill any blood). Just think about how messed up that is - where's the horrific consequences of violence? Violence is ugly and brutal, but erase the blood and shoo-away any nipples and naughty words and you're golden ... it's ridiculous.

The MPAA rating system is bizarre and skewed all wrong. If their system was more like ours with 12, 15, and 18 categories you'd be able to compromise your product less and earn more money. The Expendables 2 was rated R (17+) in America, but it was a 15 (with no cuts) here in the UK. The Inbetweeners Movie made a couple of trims to get a 15 without compromising the overall tone (still filled with all the naughty behaviour you'd expect) and it made a shedload of cash at the UK box office.

It just seems so odd that you can have an R-Rated film that's a middling 15 rating over here, at the same time as having another R-Rated film that's a savage 18 rating over here. The spread of age categories from the MPAA just seems idiotic.
    When they doomed Sarah Connor to death by leukemia in the 3rd film, is it any wonder that I welcomed the Sarah Connor Chronicles as a fairly decent alternative history to the movies? Lena Headley(Game of Thrones) did well, and the best moments came when we actually saw how certain actions began to create multiple time-lines upline. Unfortunately we'll never see how that pans out. As for the movies? I've lost the faith.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    When they doomed Sarah Connor to death by leukemia in the 3rd film, is it any wonder that I welcomed the Sarah Connor Chronicles as a fairly decent alternative history to the movies? Lena Headley(Game of Thrones) did well, and the best moments came when we actually saw how certain actions began to create multiple time-lines upline. Unfortunately we'll never see how that pans out. As for the movies? I've lost the faith.
    The show was decent - but it really fell apart in the second season with some interminably dull episodes where it was just a lot of waffle and time filling (too many episodes in the order) - and so when they finally got it back on track in the last couple of episodes the damage was already done (the season two finale was excellent and really made me want more of the show again), which was a shame.

I dearly hope they get rid of this 'Super Terminator' nonsense, which is clearly birthed from inferior filmmakers not bothering to understand the MO and abilities of Cameron's creation. Molton steel is used to destroy - completely destroy - bother Terminators in T2, but in T4 it's merely a temporary set back with no lasting damage ... ridiculous!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Oct-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Administrator

England
    Oh dear - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69308

The threat of nuclear holocaust that freaked out ’80s audiences has been eclipsed by our fear of cyberattack. “Skynet no longer has to break down our front door because we line up in front of Apple stores to invite it in,” Ellison says. “We’re constantly giving away our privacy.”
    So on the one hand, nuclear annihilation by a global firestorm followed by the slow painful radiation poisoned death of any remaining life on earth, vs your Facebook password being stolen.

Hmmmm... They're re-imagined view of "threat" sucks donkey c*ck IMHO!

-Carl Sagan

United States
    If they're trying to instill hope & assuage fears, they've failed. Look, they even put the TrollFace T-800 in the background! Says it all.

Undisclosed
    PG13? - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69077

For me, Terminator died after T2... and don't see this changing things...
    For me it's even worse: there's only the first one really. T2 has aged badly I think. Used to love it as a teenager, but after revisiting it a while back it left me underwhelmed. Where the first one remains a tight, lean and violent scifi thriller with serious horror undertones (the terminator is just a robotic Michael Myers so to speak) the second one felt too bloated and has some seriously ridiculous scenes. Young John Connor is very irritating and him bonding with Arnold feels awkward. The thumbs up moment when the Terminator lowers himself into the molten steel and the line'"if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too." is just plain awful. Come to think of it, after Terminator and Aliens (and parts of the Abyss, maybe) Cameron made some shitty movies. I never enjoyed True Lies, Titanic or even Avatar.
    Weird, as I still think both The Terminator and Aliens are two of the best (scifi) action films ever.
    Last edited by krisvds; 30-Oct-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: .