Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Terminator: Genisys (film) - Terminator reboot

Ireland
    That looks rubbish.

No surprises there.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Hang on hang on hang on! Something's going on here!

Exhibits (A) & (B):-

Exhibits (C) & (D):-
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Are you hinting that they've photoshopped her bosom to enlarge it for the poster? *sigh* What is this Hollywood obsession with bigger tits?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Honestly,

this is one of two films I'm actually looking forward to a lot.
    This and Mad Max. I'm avoiding all kinds of promotional material. I want to be as surprised as possible.

Administrator

England
    So? Anyone here seen it?

- - - Updated - - -

AICN didn't like it:-

TERMINATOR: GENISYS is likely the last of this franchise, and that’s a blessing. It means that Arnold Schwarzenegger can move on to the next stage of his career, whatever that may be, and I hope for the best for him, and I’ll always be a fan. If he picks roles that challenge him in his older years, all the better – although SABOTAGE isn’t a great movie, Arnold is actually quite good in it, and I think there’s a script out there that will absolutely give him the great role he deserves, playing to his abilities and reminding us all why we worshipped this guy in the 1980s and 1990s. TERMINATOR: GENISYS is a waste of talent and money. Don’t be back.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Total Film gave it a 3/5, although I've not read the review yet.

IGN gave it a "meh" review - particularly flagging up Emilia Clarke as a casting choice that they think didn't pay off (despite being ruddy Khaleesi in GoT). They also mentioned various 'gags' that don't work - you know, when I first saw that 'smile' moment I just cringed and shook my head. That sort of shit didn't work at all in T3. It worked in T2 because it was played straight, and the T-800 picked necessary moments for trying anything 'human' (like the smiling scene in T2's special edition) ... but all that "talk to the hand" bollocks in T3, the stripper shades, all of that bullshit just sank like a brick.

The glimpses of 'humour' in T5 that I've seen feel like that T3 horseshit. It might work in a stunt video (like the one Arnie did where he pretended to be his own wax sculpture), but it sure as shit doesn't work in an actual Terminator movie.

I'm intrigued to see it - eventually - but no way am I paying. I was dim enough to buy Terminator 3 on DVD, I was stupid enough to watch Salvation in the cinema, and both times I was sorely disappointed.

Salvation could have been an awesome movie - who didn't look at the future war scenes in T1 and T2 and not want a whole movie like that? But McG & co royally buggered that up.

Undisclosed
    On the plus side, Arnold got to prank fans for a charitable cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81g199L8YA
    Last edited by wayzim; 09-Jul-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: B'cuz

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Finally saw this. As much as I expected it to bomb, it actually wasn't all that bad. Obviously not in the same league as Cameron's films, but things could've been a lot worse. The first act being the best of the film, the second act has its moments, then third has some stinkers. Overall I'd say its worth a viewing for fans.

After only one viewing, I'm tempted to say its the best sequel out of the Cameron-less films. Although that's not saying much. I'd give it something like 6/10.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Aug-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: .

United States
    I liked it, wayyyyyyyyy better than that last snoozefest with Christian Bale.
    So is this the new thing with all the new movie sequels:

Like XMEN and the new Star Trek, just go back in time and wipe out the future from there and start the tale all over? I will say I thought it was cool in the new Terminator when they smoked Arnie before he could start his search for Sarah Conner...

Administrator

England
    ^^ You two have given me some hope...

How much does it stamp on the first two films then?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ You two have given me some hope...

How much does it stamp on the first two films then?
    Forgive my confusion, but are you asking how it compares to the original two or how it wipes the plots of those films out?

If its comparison, I can't say its anywhere near the classic status of the first two. It may be the best of films 3-5 and feels the most like a sequel to the original films IMO. Definitely not a Cameron film, however.

If you're asking how it plays with the original plots(no spoilers), it basically plays with the first 20 or so minutes of T1. After that, we're on a completely different timeline. I will say that I was extremely entertained "revisiting" the events of T1. The opening of genisys and through the events of T1 was easily my favorite segment of the film. The first 30-45 minutes I'd say.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    If Kyle Reese and the T800 can materialize in a 1984 not of their timeline then I take it they were shielded from the changes which leads me to believe the reprogrammed T800 and Skynet T1000 of T2, and the reprogrammed T850 and Skynet TX of T3 also appeared in the nineties and 2004 as well.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    If Kyle Reese and the T800 can materialize in a 1984 not of their timeline then I take it they were shielded from the changes which leads me to believe the reprogrammed T800 and Skynet T1000 of T2, and the reprogrammed T850 and Skynet TX of T3 also appeared in the nineties and 2004 as well.
    Reese and the original T800 do materialize in their own timeline. It actually IS Terminator 1 for a few minutes, but then everything takes a left turn. Essentially erasing the last 45 minutes of T1, and all of T2, T3, and T4.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Essentially erasing the last 45 minutes of T1, and all of T2.
    Eek! Bold move!
    -Carl Sagan