Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Genisys (film) - Terminator reboot

Super Moderator

United States
    "How to save a billion dollar franchise"

How about just let it the f**k go. Make your money off of remasters, merch, comic book licensing, game licensing and all that other crap.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

How about just let it the f**k go. Make your money off of remasters, merch, comic book licensing, game licensing and all that other crap.
    Rights revert to Cameron in a few years. Gotta make the big cash grab while the sun's still shining.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

I know, right? Or, you know, get someone who respects the property and reveres it while simultaneously having writing talent ... plus no silly studio nit-picking interference.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Rights revert to Cameron in a few years. Gotta make the big cash grab while the sun's still shining.
    Yes, there's certainly a cynical whiff about this new "trilogy" of T-films.

I disagree with krisvds though, I think T2 has aged just fine and is still an excellent piece of cinema and entertainment (True Lies is also a hell of a fun time). The only thing that's really aged in T2 is the usual things like TV monitors and computer games, maybe a touch of fashion (I too was a denim-clad kid of the 1990s ) ... but other than that, personally, I think T2 has aged just fine. To each their own on the thumbs up at the end, but it brought a wee bit of moistness to my eye I've gotta admit.

I don't like the idea of ret-conning the nuclear attacks of the established cannon. I can see why they'd want to bring in a bit of the social media ideas regarding information and privacy ... but, really, how is that going to bring down the world? Is Skynet going to lock everyone out of their Facebook and Twitter and people start killing themselves because they can't post a picture of their dinner and hashtag it with a million bizarre tags that don't make any real sense?

The nuclear option still makes the most sense - taking out the military capabilities of your enemies and then taking over your native land with ol' metal head and chums.

United States
    Yeah, it wasn't going to go into the whole T1/2 thang, but I still dig 2. In comparison to 1 there's a totally different vibe, but I still like it & it makes a nice companion piece.

Re: Skynet vs social media...I could see in one of the infinite alternate realities created by its time-tampering a reality where the nuke was was averted, time moves on, & in the world of today a rouge AI could bring about the end of human society through the internet, electronic, & technology. The threat a rogue AI poses someday is very real, & very high.

Don't want to see a Terminator movie about it though.

Administrator

England
    Cameron gets the rights back in 4-5 years... Suspect they will be the rights to something that's been driven into the ground though!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Cameron gets the rights back in 4-5 years... Suspect they will be the rights to something that's been driven into the ground though!
    Yep. "Here Jim, now that we've wiped out ass with 'er & drug 'er through the mud, she's ALL YOURS pal!"

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    A trailer for a trailer. Will wonders never cease?

Administrator

England
    Feels a bit needy and soulless to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese?!

Quite frankly, nobody can replace Michael Biehn. Likewise with Robert Patrick as the T-1000, and Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor. I don't feel confident in this idea of buggering about with the events of the original movie (two movies?). I thought it might be interesting, but the first footage has done nothing but increase my scepticism unfortunately.

Looks like we're stuck with feckin' super-Terminators again as well - that eye-rolling bit where the T-800 jumps out of da choppah and crashes into the other one. The T-800 is hard as nails, but it's not ruddy invincible! A home-made pipe bomb bisected one in the first movie ffs!

The trailer for T4 was awesome, but the movie was awful ... perhaps this is a naff trailer and the movie will be awesome ... ... ... but I think that's probably quite unlikely.

With the franchise-destroying pap that was T3 and T4, I'm just expecting more of the same disappointment from "Genisys" (crap title, too ... feels overtly gimmicky ... like a nudge and a wink).

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Feels a bit needy and soulless to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc
    Ya think?

In all fairness, I'd thought too long and hard about the terminator universe over the decades to dismiss this outright.
    Quantum parallel time streams; i.e. multiple futures branching off of key events was a favorite alternative to a conventional unbreakable linear time-line. I think that's why I embraced The Sarah Connor Chronicles; after that abortion of a film called T-3: Rise of The Machines.
    Last edited by wayzim; 05-Dec-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: B'cuz

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    glad to see the "let's put all significant plot points in the trailer" trend is still going strong.

saves me a few bucks and a trip to the theater....not that I would have paid to see this on the big screen anyways, but still....

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh dear...

The cheesy grin thing worked in T2 - but such silliness didn't work at all in T3 ... that moment looks far more T3 than T2.

So that's basically the entire movie (kind of like how in the trailer for T4 when they revealed the twist about Sam Worthington's character) - and how would you "reverse" that anyway?! Frankly, the more I'm seeing, the shitter it's looking.

T1/T2 forever - the end.